All That Heaven Allows

stuart.uk

All That Heaven Allows

Post by stuart.uk »

Spoiler Alert!

All That Heaven Allows is my favourite all time love story with Rock Hudson and Jane Wyman.

I love the themes in the film.

The older widowed woman and the younger man

the social pressures of her being more or less rich and he working class

her adult children, who are against the relationship. the daughter you could sympathise with, because she changes her mind, but not the son, who at one point is angry that his mother wants to sell the family home, then when Wyma breaks of with Rock he shows how two faced he was by wanting her to sell up because he now has his own life to lead
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Stuart:

This whole movie makes me angry for all the reasons you listed above. The son should have been taken out behind the shed more often, and the daughter was so whiny, she should have been fed cheese with her whine. This is one of the few movies I've seen, that should be re-made with the 21st century slant on it, that being age doesn't matter. I never liked Wyman and Hudson together either in this or Mag. Obsession because she just looks years and years older. Now although I seem to be contradicting myself, when I say age doesn't matter, I mean a difference of 10 or 15 even, but she looked like 20 years older in both films. It was that stupid hairstyle, and her wardrobe.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Anne

the age thing maybe isn't so much a problem these days, but i think the difference in social class still might be. i mean how many executives would want to go out with a cleaner for example or a top business woman with a brick layer. it's maybe not as bad as it was, but i think it's still there.

also there are adult kids out there that would be outraged if a widowed parent got romantically involved. one could argue as their adults and it's none of their buisness, but it's tricky. i know i wouldn't want to go out with a widow unless i had the children's blessing, not because i feel its their right, but because it wouldn't be worth the hasstle

i get annoyed watching something like Blue Hawaii where Angela Lansbury played Elvis' prudish mother. i can't even tell you who played the King's leading lady, so why didn't Angela play the girl friend, the age gap was only 10-yrs. i think she would have enjoyed the part more, dancing Rock A Hula Baby with him, rather than complaining about it. plus the fact she would have looked great in these shorts and bathing costumes. Talking of Elvis maybe the same thing could have applied in Rousabout, but it would have been more daring because of the near-30-yr-age difference, but wouldn't he and Barbara Stanwyck be something as a screen couple, or is it just taking a May To December romance a step to far

it's funny, but in the western Arizona not one comentator of the film commented on the 18-yr-age difference between Jean Arthur and young William Holden. it was the same with The Yellow Rolls Royce with 48-year-old still beautiful Ingrid Bergmen and the much younger Omar Sharif. that's to the great credit of both actresses

Ps-am i right in saying you're a fan of Chuck Conners. are you familiar with the series Cowboy In Africa, the spin off of Africa Texas Style. talented American Indian actor Tom Nardin played John Henry in both versions with Ronald Howard replacing John Mills and Chuck playing the lead Jim Sinclair instead of Hugh O'Brien
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Hi stuart:

No I never heard of any series following Rifleman other than Branded. I don't thing Ms. Stanwyck and Elvis would have gone over very well, she took enough because of her role in Thornbirds with R. Chamberain. And as much as I love Angela, in my mind, she and EP don't form what looks like a couple either. I guess you're probably right about the son and daughter also, but I think they were acting from the worry that she would leave all her money to her new husband rather than them, and that put them in a fit.

Anne
Anne

Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

I prefer Fassbinders remake Ali: Fear Eats the Soul (1973).
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Anne. sorry i couldn't get the link to work, some do and some don't for me. however, it only says what i did in a previous threat. at the bottom of the page is a list of Chuck's other tv work

Cowboy in Africa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Cowboy in Africa is a television series produced in 1967-68 by Ivan Tors and starring Chuck Connors . The title explains it all : it is the story of cowboy Jim Sinclair (Connors ...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowboy_in_Africa · Cached page

Chuck also appeared in Roots, playing Chicken George's white dad, after he raped his mother and cheating on wife Carolyn Jones. he also played Jane Russell's ex wife, a nasty piece of work in modern 80s western series The Yellow Rose as an evil cattle baron at odds with rival ranching family and good guys David Soul, Sam Elliott, Sybil Shepard, Noah Berry jnr and Eddie Albert jnr. his movies include Trouble Along The Way with Duke, The Big Country and Support Your Local Gunfighter
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

stuart:

After all those years of playing that wonderful big man with the rifle, Chuck turned to playing heavies in almost everything he did except Flipper. I hated that but what can you do, he was still attractive enough to play the leading man type, do you agree?

I get a lot of my info on Chuck from his website Connorsrifleman. They also have a small part set aside for Branded. Just Google Chuck Connors and that will lead you to Northfork.

Anne
Anne

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

mrsl wrote:stuart:

After all those years of playing that wonderful big man with the rifle, Chuck turned to playing heavies in almost everything he did except Flipper. I hated that but what can you do, he was still attractive enough to play the leading man type, do you agree?
Boy do I ever agree! Chuck was one darned attractive man. I don't know why he didn't get more good guy leading man roles, he's so splendid as Lucas McCain. I am so happy to be watching this show now that I get the Encore Westerns Channel. I try never to miss it. I want to try to record them on dvd-r if I can, before they stop showing it.
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

mrsl wrote:Stuart:
This whole movie makes me angry for all the reasons you listed above. The son should have been taken out behind the shed more often, and the daughter was so whiny, she should have been fed cheese with her whine. This is one of the few movies I've seen, that should be re-made with the 21st century slant on it, that being age doesn't matter. Anne
Actually Anne, Todd Haynes made a 'remake' of a kind of All That Heaven Allows with Far From Heaven (2002). It's perhaps more 'inspired' by ATHA than a straight remake. Nevertheless, I love the way he captures the American suburbia of the time with its snobbish neighbors and its hidden racism. He was also inspired by another great melodrama: The Reckless Moment (1949) By Max Ophüls. This one shows also the alienation of the American housewife.
Going back to Far From Heaven, Haynes modifies considerably the situation by introducing elements that were taboo in the 50s: the hidden homosexuality of the husband, love between a black man and a white woman. I personaly find Haynes' picture absolutely superb; Julianne Moore and Denis Haysbert are both excellent. The vibrant colors of the cinematography recalls the extraordinary work of Russel Metty and Elmer Bernstein's score is great.
I am a great fan of Douglas Sirk and I think Haynes is a worthy successor with this film.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Hi Ann without an e:

Far From Heaven is not a favorite, but a well liked film of mine. I like all of the stars, both Dennis', and Juliane Moore. But as you explained the characteristics of the movie, you also showed all the themes it tried to cover. A theme like age dispute, nosy neighbors, bigotry, etc. are too much to try to dissect in one movie. If Todd Haynes wanted to attack racism, he should have left it at that, or age difference, or any of the other items. I like a movie that delves into the psyche of a scenario. I usually don't get all of it at the first sitting, but if I enjoy a movie, I always watch a second time, and sometimes, that second time is when I realize the director/writer is telling us something. In Far From Heaven, the inter-racial affair was more of a retribution against her husband than a true experience. But that is how I saw it.

You also mentioned Douglas Sirk. Unfortunately, I do not care for Sirk AT ALL. His drama is so overblown, I feel he is laughing at his audience while he puts one over on them. He may have some interesting little tricks of use of color, and shapes that represent things other than what they are meant to, but on the whole, people just don't act the way he presents them. I've known a lot of wealthy people, and they just are not as ridiculous as Sirk makes them out to be. His movies are beautiful with his use of color in settings, and dress, I'll admit that, but the man has no idea of people and their feelings, or emotions.

Anne
Anne

Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

I think that Sirk has many different periods in his career. I like also his first American pictures such as A Scandal in Paris or Summer Storm. When he joined Universal, he had to make remakes of various 30s Stahl melodramas. He found the scripts pretty atrocious, so he wanted to convey the story through images.
It's interesting to note that both Sirk & Ophüls were Europeans looking at the American way-of-life. I do not know if they are offering an accurate view, but, their films have stood the test of time thanks to their talent as story tellers and film makers.
benwhowell

Imitation of life...

Post by benwhowell »

I couldn't agree more, Ann Harding. "Far From Heaven" is a brilliant homage to Sirk. I also believe that Sirk (and Ross Hunter, for that matter) would have dealt with those taboo subjects if the '50's studio had allowed them to.
I'd like to add that the performances in "Far From Heaven-"from the entire cast-were very Sirk inspired. Haynes must have suggested that everyone watch "All That Heaven Allows," "Magnificent Obssesion," et al.
Being a Sirk fan, I would have loved that research!
I do agree that his films can be somewhat overblown, but that's one of the reasons I treasure them...They truly are art "imitating" life.
Handsome Johnny Eck