Sentimental Journey

rainingviolets21

Sentimental Journey

Post by rainingviolets21 »

Sentimental journey is a lovely fantasy film done by Twentieth in the 1940's..it deals with an actress (Maureen O'Hara) and her husband (John Payne) who are childless, she finds she has a bad heart and hasn't long to live so she decides to adopt a child, she goes to an orphanage, and sees a little girl (Connie Marshall) playing all by herself, and is quite taken with her because the child reminds her of herself when she was young. This child has a very vivid imagination, which seems to rub the husband the wrong way, she teaches the little girl how to take care of her husband in case she is not there when all of a sudden she has a heart attack and dies. The husband is in deep grief and inconsolable, when suddenly she appears to the child, accompanied by the lovliest musical score ever to be put into a film, she tells the child to take care of Bill and do all the things she showed her to do in case any thing happened..Bill rejects the child and she runs away, he realizes he really loves the little girl and finds her on the beach where she first saw his wife.. this is a movie where the musical score is so beautiful and the acting so superb you forget the soap
opera dialogue and watch an engrossing drama...
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

There's a 1958 remake of this called A Gift of Love with Lauren Bacall and Robert Stack. IMO, one of the soppiest and leaden "women's pictures" ever. I think Evelyn Rudie (remember her from a 50s quiz show and the TV version of Eliose?) as the little girl steals the picture
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Thank you jdb. I knew I had seen another version but couldn't recall any stars or the name at all. I saw the Lauren and Robert one also and both of them are boo hoo hoo sobby. I was going nuts though trying to remember what I was looking for, the closes I could come was the Margaret Sullavan one with the future girlfriend.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************