3 Christian films with a message

Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Hi Alison,

How are you? Thanks for the beautiful thoughts you sent my way, they were very much appreciated. I'm sure you've mentioned it at some point, but my memory being what it is (isn't would be more accurate!) I've forgotten where it is that you hale from. Your writing is more precise and well formed than the average American's, so you must be fro somewhere outside of the States. Would it be too personal to ask where it is that you call home, and are you native to that location? It's just a matter of sheer curiosity from where I stand. I'm curious by nature (and by design to hear most folks tell it!) Thanks for your time and enjoy the rest of the weekjend!

Fondly, and as always,

Hollis
Last edited by Hollis on June 24th, 2008, 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I don't mind you asking, I might have said where I hail from before but I still get confused with peoples christian names on the board.

I come from Lancashire in the North West of England. My Catholicism comes from the Irish immigrants that came here in droves from in the mid and late Victorian age to work in the cotton mills in our Northern towns. I traced the family tree a few generations back and I come from a line of cotton mill workers. Like the most of us here.

For a long time the Irish Catholics were looked down upon because they came over and worked for less money (no change there just substitute Irish for Poles or Eastern Europeans)

Our country has had and still has immigration but the the USA and particularly cities like New York must be full of different backgrounds, races and cultures all melded together. I'd love to live there for a year, or any major city and just soak it up. Should have done it before I settled down I suppose.

Thank you for your kind comments about my language. I have a lot to live up to on this board :wink: . There's a lot of eloquent people here with comments I just love to read. I think we said somewhere on another thread how other people always seem to put things better than we feel we do ourselves, that's how I usually feel.

I'm heartened everytime I see you posting on the board Hollis, you must be in frequent pain from what you've told us. You're amongst friends here.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Ah, jdb1:

You said it so well a couple of posts back, only you said it in a much clearer way than I could: "By then I had found so many holes in their fabric, and nobody who could sew them up with any sensible threads other than "Have Faith", I have my own private little religion between me and God. Of course many of the tenets that were so ingrained in me in all those years of schooling, are still there like guilty conscience lurking on each side of my shoulders."

This could be a dangerous thread if any of us were fanatics on our chosen religions, because two things that should never be discussed in social circumstances are religion or politics, but I enjoy hearing questions and comments from people regarding things I've heard since childhood.

Mr. L who was a Southern Baptist made one thing stand out in my mind as a Catholic. Since Jesus was taken down from the cross and resurrected, why do our crucifixes still portray him on them? I never had an answer for him, and never found a priest who could either. I'm not asking now, that's just one of the many things Judith mentioned that made me search, and I'm still searching.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Anne, dear, I didn't say what you quoted. It looks like you did in a previous post, and you put it very succinctly, too.

Sometimes I get a headache trying to take this whole existence thing in.
feaito

Post by feaito »

It's the first time in my life that I've read such interesting, tolerant, civil, good natured, respectful opinions on a such "touchy" subject on any Message Boards.

This demonstrates the quality, intelligence and friendliness of the people posting on these wonderful Message Boards and I feel so proud of being part of SSO.

Thanks to all for being the way you are!! :D
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Hi again Alison,

As I understand it, my surname is derived from Old English. Spelled "Hufford," it's supposedly drawn from someone named "Huff" who provided a means of "fording" a stream or brook. If I know my family, they probably carried them across said water on their back as opposed to building a raft or boat of some sort! We didn't invent movable type or build rocketships in our spare time! England is the one country I dearly want to visit before my time expires. I've been to the better part of 100 nations while in the military and as a child traveling with my folks. Many of them were destinations I would not have elected to visit under more normal circumstances. But in about a year and a half when the Subaru is paid off, I'll be able to save some serious money for my "trip of a lifetime." There's just so much history to take in. My dad spent about a year there preparing for the D-Day invasion of Europe and absolutely raved about not only the place, but the people especially. He was firmly convinced that their resolve and stoicism in dealing with "Herr Schickelgruber" and his torrent of terror weapons would not have been duplicated here in the states had we been the ones under attack. I'm eager to see where the musical groups that made up the "British Invasion" of the early 60's both played and recorded their groundbreaking music. I can't believe that the "London Bridge" is in the American Southwest! What a travesty! I hope to speak to you again soon. I'd love to pick your brain a tad about what to see and what to avoid! I'd really like to get away from the larger cities and visit the smaller villages. Well, hoist a pint for me! Take care and be happy!

Fondly and, as always, Hollis
charliechaplinfan

feaito wrote:It's the first time in my life that I've read such interesting, tolerant, civil, good natured, respectful opinions on a such "touchy" subject on any Message Boards.

This demonstrates the quality, intelligence and friendliness of the people posting on these wonderful Message Boards and I feel so proud of being part of SSO.

Thanks to all for being the way you are!! :D
I couldn't agree with you more :D

Dear Hollis,

I love the kind things you say about my country.

I'm fascinated by tales of life during the war. Were we are there was a large air base and many GI's were stationed here. Clark Gable passed through. My mother's cousin married a GI and went to live in Pennsylvania, it wasn't unusual. The older generation had lovely things to say about the GI's that were stationed here during the war. Sure they had things that we couldn't get hold of like stockings and chocolate. They were boys and young men a long way away from their families, often frightened and we took them to our heart.

Where we are was near a big munitions factory and we got heavily bombed, they often flew over us on the way to Liverpool. My mum remembers Liverpool burning and the air raid shelters.

There is a film called 'Yanks' which I believe is very close to what life for both the Brits and the GI'swas like here at that time.

I have often wondered about why we didn't fall to Hitler. Our island nation sheletered us, true. We are very proud that we held out until you joined us and the Second Front opened. To hear from someone who was stationed over here that he felt it was the British spirit that kept Hitler at bay is indeed very heartening.

You must visit the British isles. There is so much to see. I haven't seen it all yet, my parents weren't travellers. My children will see a great deal of our sceptured isle, from the capital to the countryside, the coast and the lakes, the National parks. I want to instill in them a feel for our history and heritage. I'm proud to be British/English.

If you're interested in the music of the sixties then you must come to Liverpool. I don't live that far from Liverpool about 40 min away. I'm close to the Lake District National Park which is a must.

There is a lot to do here.

I love the history of your name too, things like names really fascinate me.

Take care of yourself

Alison
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Apparently, we're not the only ones grappling with these issues.

Here's a report from today's NY Times on America's religious beliefs. I like the comment from the man at Rice University, interpreting this survey --"It's not that we don't believe in anything, it's that we believe in everything." I suppose enthusiasm "above and beyond" is very much an American trait.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/24/us/24religion.html?hp
charliechaplinfan

I wish I still believed in Father Christmas and the tooth fairy :D

Those were the days
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Dear Alison,

I meant every word I said, I just didn't say every word that I meant to! Should circumstance permit, I will most definitely be visiting at some point in the next few years. I would love to visit Ireland and Scotland as well. Naturally, I'll have to cross Abbey Road barefoot and out of step with the other passers by! Stonehenge, The Tubes, and of course as a tourist, a ride on the upper level of a double decker bus. "Real" fish and chips with lots of malt vinegar wrapped in newsprint and see the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace. We'll have to meet of course, the trip wouldn't feel right to me if I neglected that part of it. One important part of the trip would be a trip across (or under) the Channel to see the Normandy Beaches, museums and Allied graveyards. The trip wouldn't be complete without that most important of excursions.

Please stay in touch and I'll write whenever possible!

Fondly, and as always,

Hollis

P.S. I'm originally from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania which at one time had the distinction of being the nation's 4th largest city. Due to the discovery of oil and gas in the Southwest and other economic conditions like the relative lack of unions in the Southern states, it now ranks as (I believe) the 7th largest city. If it weren't for the relative severity of the Northern winters, I would probably never have left it. It was in fact quite the melting pot, just not on as large a scale as a New York City. The movie "Rocky" does offer some interesting perspectives of the city as does "Blowout" with John Travolta and "Trading Places" with Eddie Murphy and Dan Aykroyd.
charliechaplinfan

Of course we'll have to meet up.

So many things you mention like fish and chips and the top deck of a bus are things we take for granted.

Your music tastes sound very similar to mine and my husband's. I've never been to Abbey Rd but believe me I would walk bare foot across the road.

The 'chunnel' the channel tunnel is amazing. You just drive your car on sit there and half an hour later you emerge in France. France is a lot bigger than us, it's quite a drive to get to the beaches. We holidayed there last year and for two weeks we did something everyday. We visited every beach and spent time in the American cemetry (it's huge, it brings home the scale of the amount of people killed) the British cemeteries (the messgaes on the gravestones made me weep) and a German cemetry (only room for a name, the ages were what killed me, very young men and men over 50 in the cemetry we visited)

Hollis you're going to have such a good trip.

Alison
Synnove

Post by Synnove »

I lived in a village outside of Cambridge once and I've always wanted to go back. England is a beautiful country.

I just saw this thread, and I want to repeat Feaito's sentiment. I really loved reading all of the posts. They are thoughtful and enlightening. So often on the internet, threads like these go out of control. Thank goodness for SSO.
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

I don't think these types of threads get out of control as long as everyone is respectful of the fact that we all have different beliefs and opinions, and one person doesn't try to dominate them all. That happened on another board that I was a member of, and it doesn't make for a very pleasant experience. It can ruin a perfectly good forum.
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
feaito

Post by feaito »

silentscreen wrote:I don't think these types of threads get out of control as long as everyone is respectful of the fact that we all have different beliefs and opinions, and one person doesn't try to dominate them all. That happened on another board that I was a member of, and it doesn't make for a very pleasant experience. It can ruin a perfectly good forum.
I agree 100% Brenda. No one should ever feel he or she is the bearer of the truth and/or the righteousness. We can all learn and grow listening to each other's point of views with respect. That's part of Evolution.
Mr. O'Brady

Post by Mr. O'Brady »

No one should ever feel he or she is the bearer of the truth and/or the righteousness.

Well said! Having taken a long winding road from Atheist to follower of Christ (I never use the term "Christian"), I try to tread lightly when it comes to others' beliefs, or non-belief. Too many bad experiences with "Christians" pummeling me with threats of eternal damnation. You ain't gonna win many souls that way.