Gone to Earth (1950) - directed by Michael Powell

MissGoddess

Gone to Earth (1950) - directed by Michael Powell

Post by MissGoddess »

A long time ago I saw a Jennifer Jones movie called The Wild Heart and have been searching for it ever since. I had no idea walking into a screening tonight at Lincoln Center of Gone to Earth that this was the same movie---the original version created by Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger and released in England That the original exists at all is because of the precautions they took when negotiating their contract with Selznick. He may have been unhappy with what they were doing with his darling Jennifer's picture out in Shropshire and among the Welsh borderlands, but their contract terms gave the team the power to ignore his memos (Powell just had them shoved into a desk drawer, unread).

Gone to Earth might just be my favorite Powell/Pressburger movie. It may not be as fine a film as their other, better known endeavors---in fact I'm sure it's not. But it's by far the one that resonates most with me personally. I've always felt very detached emotionally from their movies, even if I am enthralled by their beauty. Gone to Earth is a beauty, filmed in some of the loveliest English countryside locations you'll ever see in a film and there is painstaking authenticity in every detail to recreate this part of the world in another century. But it doesn't feel like the other movies and for reasons that perhaps many will fault it for in comparison. Powell himself was not entirely satisfied with the result, according to his memoirs, perhaps in part because it was based, too closely he thought, on a novel and he preferred original works to adaptations, and because he expressed concern that the film looked too "realistic".

Jennifer Jones plays "Hazel", a half-Gypsy wild-child who's grown up free from the blessings of civilization, and cleanliness, with her harp-playing, bee-keeper Father. Although not explicitly stated, she has apparently recently come of age (and somewhat obviated by Jennifer's actual
appearance---she was 31 when the picture was made), and therefore catches the eye of all the men who see her (as a fox who's been scented by the hounds, as the film will reveal), especially the wandering eye of the local Squire (played with menacing debauchery by David Farrar) and the little country parson, played with becoming intensity and dignity by the brilliant Cyril Cusak. The parson gets to her quicker so he weds her but that won't stop the Squire. Pressburger and Powell take these elements and cook up a moody film about the difference between love and longing, belief and the power of superstition as well as commenting along the way on small town hypocracies, the harmony and discord between man and nautre---and incidentally providing Hugh Griffith with a part worthy of his colorful personality and gifts.

Thelma Schoonmaker (editor, Raging Bull, Goodfellas, The Aviator, etc.) introduced her husband Michael Powell's film and stayed after for questions. One interesting tidbit dropped by Miss Schoonmaker (and which is mentioned in Powell's memoirs) is that Jennifer Jones and Cyril
Cusak apparently got along VERY well and that Jennifer almost ran away with him after filming. Something, or someone, changed her mind though, and they were not to be. How tantalizing!

She also confirmed that A Matter of Life and Death will be coming to DVD, perhaps by the end of this year, courtesy of Martin Scorsese who is putting together a package which will include documentaries along with Powell's last film, Age of Consent.

It's a lovely excursion into another world and time and worthy of being better know and appreciated. I hope fans of the other Powell and Pressburger films will look for it on DVD.

And I still would like to see the Selznick version again to compare. :wink:

TCM aught to consider airing both versions one night.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

It's been out on Region-2 DVD for a while and is a great addition for P&P collectors. I was unaware of the Selznick version, so I join in MissG's hearty hopes for a TCM double-feature. Or spread them out over a week or a couple of weeks, even.
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

I saw Gone to Earth a while ago. Being an avid Powell fan, I really need to see it gain at some point! :) But I don't want to see the 'Selznick version' which is just a shorten version of Powell's film.
I really envy you Miss Goddess to have seen Thelma Schoonmaker!!! 8)
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Great write-up on Gone to Earth (1952), Miss G.

TCM ran this one October 2 or 3 years ago during their celebration of David O. Selznick, (one of the best months ever). I found it very haunting, and, contrary to expectations, thought that Jennifer Jones gave a fine performance, blending her characteristic otherworldliness with some welcome earthiness. Given the chumminess between Jones and her co-star, maybe it isn't all that surprising that her scenes with Cyril Cusack have a great deal of sparkle, (despite his milquetoast role), though I kept hoping that David Farrar's part might become more interesting than it did ultimately.

Two other things stood out in this film: the jewel-toned color cinematography by Christopher Challis, (and, of course, Michael Powell's lyrical eye) capturing the always changing land and skyscape of Shropshire and the music by Brian Easdale, including those harp numbers. You're very fortunate to have had an opportunity to see this in a theater rather than a dvd. Btw, it is available on an all region dvd here, if anyone is interested.

Have you ever read any of the books and poems of Mary Webb, who wrote the book that was the basis of this film? Here's one of her poems, that captures on paper what this film tries to show on screen:

Presences

There is a presence on the lonely hill,
Lovely and chill:
There is an emanation in the wood,
Half understood.
They come upon me like an evening cloud,
Stranger than moon-rise, whiter than a shroud.
I shall not see them plain
Ever again,
Though in my childhood days
I knew their ways.
They are as secret as the black cloud-shadows
Sliding along the ripe midsummer grass;
With a breath-taking majesty they pass,
Down by the water in the mournful meadows;
Out of the pale pink distance at the falling
Of dusk they gaze--remote, summoning, chill;
Sweetly in April I have heard them calling
Where through black ash-buds gleams the purple hill.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I have this on my rental list, you've made it sound so good I'm moving it towards the top :D
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
moviemagz

Post by moviemagz »

I saw THE WILD HEART twice during the early 80's on a local station but never since. I really liked it. What I remember is it's a vaguely MADAME BOVARY/ANNA KARENINA romantic tragedy with Jennifer gorgeous as all get out in "peasant" clothes (which of course are extremely attractive) and she had a pet fox named Foxy. I think the Selznick version merely changed the name and trimmed it a bit.
markfp

Re: Gone to Earth (1950) - directed by Michael Powell

Post by markfp »

For anyone looking for a copy of the original version of GONE TO EARTH, check amazon.com There's a very nice NTSC format, all region (that means it plays ok over here) Korean release and they have new and used copies in the $9-15 range. I have it and it's well worth getting. It has Korean subtitles, but these can be turned off. Be careful though, they also have it on region 2 DVDs, but unless you have a multi-region player, you don't want that.