The Devil and Daniel Webster

ken123

Post by ken123 »

Where do I start, there are just so many woderful things about this film. Walter Huston, as Mr. Scratch (aka Lucifer ), Edward Arnold, Bernard Herman's score,the artistry of Joseph August. A great and seldom seen film. The DVD is great with an excellent audio commentary. :wink:
feaito

Post by feaito »

I taped it off a Cable channel and I really fell in love with the movie. I also like the alternate title "All That Money Can Buy". It's an unusual, offbeat, untypical film of the Era. Walter Huston is superb! And the rest of the cast did a very fine job: James Craig, Simone Simon, Edward Arnold, Jane Darwell and Anne Shirley.
moira finnie
Administrator

The Devil and Daniel Webster (1941)

Post by moira finnie »

Seeing this film as an adult again and reviewing the background material on the dvd made me aware of the underrated talent of director William Deiterle. Many of his films were personal romantic favorites such as The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1939), Love Letters (1945) Portrait of Jennie (1948), and September Affair (1950).

I've since sought out some of his lesser known films, such as the controversial Spanish Civil War drama, Blockade (1938), and The Searching Wind (1946). The latter films, along with the interesting elements of The Devil and Daniel Webster indicate an interesting mind behind such films as well, (though it helps to have such good writers as James M. Cain, Lillian Hellman & Stephen Vincent Benet providing the source material--not to mention the caliber of actor Dieterle attracted!).

My favorite scene in The Devil & Daniel Webster:
The jury takes its seat.
Best-acted small part:
John Qualen, especially in his dance of death.

Great stuff, and if I were a teacher, I'd definitely get this book & film into my syllabus!
feaito

Post by feaito »

Dear Moira,

As always you give us a flawlessly written, intelligent, articulate post. Honestly, count me among your most fervent admirers.

You have made me realize that Mr. Dieterle has directed some big favorites of mine; I hadn't made the connection, truly!

Not only he was responsible of this recently discovered fantasy "The Devil and Daniel Webster", but of my all-time favorite "Portrait of Jennie" and of the wonderful "Blockade", which I discovered quite by chance, surfing through Amazon.

"Blockade" is a film I had read about and which had intrigued me a lot, so when I realized it was available on DVD I bought it immediately, along with another lesser-known, Tay Garnett's highly amusing "Stand-In". I love when I get to discover these little known gems on DVD.

And yesterday I was able to tape off Cable TV "September Affair"; talk about being lucky. And after the film had been aired, as a bonus they showed its original theatrical trailer.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I really like the surreal style of this movie, which fits the literally fantastic situation Jabez Stone finds himself in.

Ann Shirley is very fine as the loyal wife, and the wonderful Simone Simon is very good as the seductress brought in by Mr. Scratch. She is very sexy in a very subtle way.

My favorite scene is the ghostly dinner party -- really creepy.

And of course, who can say anything more about the great Edward Arnold. I can never separate the real Daniel Webster from Arnold's performance, and I'm sure I"ve read that Arnold was not the first actor set to play the part. Webster's words at the trial should always be on our minds:

"Don't let this country go to the Devil!!!!"
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Well, we haven't even touched on himself, Mr. Scratch, none other than Walter Huston, who had more fun than is humanly possible playing the devil to perfection. I loved the almost respectful interplay between Huston and Edward Arnold's characters.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Thomas Mitchell was actually cast as and played Daniel Webster in this film, but near the end of shooting he was injured in a buggy accident and his whole part had to be re - shot with Mr. Arnold taking over the role. :wink:
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

ken123 wrote:Thomas Mitchell was actually cast as and played Daniel Webster in this film, but near the end of shooting he was injured in a buggy accident and his whole part had to be re - shot with Mr. Arnold taking over the role. :wink:
I wonder, Ken, how different the film would have been with Mitchell as Daniel Webster. Not bad, I'm sure, but I don't think Mitchell had as much "gravitas" as Arnold could muster.

I think Arnold was very statesmanlike, as Webster probably was, whereas Mitchell would have been more urban, Tammany Hall.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

JDB1,
After seeing Edward Arnold's performance it is difficult how Thomas Mitchell could have done it any better.

Political trivia --- Edward Arnold was mentioned for the 1938 GOP Senatorial nomination in the Golden State, while Thome Mitchell's bother James was Ike's Sec. of Labor and was the 1961 GOP nominee for Governor in New Jersery. :wink:
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I rented the dvd and watched it for the first time just recently. I had so many other things going on that I did not re-watch it with the commentary, which I need to because I am sure tons of things went on in the movie that flew over my blonde head. However, I was just as impressed as all of you. Of course, Messer Huston and Arnold can seldome do wrong in my book of acting greats.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

This is a terrific film. I was really impressed with Walter Huston's performance. You just knew that his Mr. Scratch smelled bad. Simone Simon was terrific as the temptress, and the film as a whole felt as if John Ford had turned in a first class horror movie.