Non Categorized movies

mrsl

Non Categorized movies

Post by mrsl »

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir:

I don't know how to categorize this one. It's a ghost story, but not scary, a love story, but there is never a kiss or a hug, it's got some comedy lines and scenes, but only a few, and it's not all that dramatic for drama. So I started this thread.

Mrs. Muir, a young widow around the turn of the 20th century, with a little daughter, played of course by Natalie Wood, takes a huge chance and moves to a beautiful seaside area. The house she chooses is a dead sea-captains home and soon she, her daughter, and Martha their live-in house-keeper, all get to know him. Mrs. Muir (Lucy) and the captain fall in love but how do you love someone who is dead? Having financial troubles, he dictates his life story to her, and she sells it as a sea-faring book, which apparently brings in enough for her to live comfortably for the rest of her life. She has a brief affair with George Sanders, again playing one of his famous, slimy characters, who is married but unknown to the captain, when they get engaged, he leaves so she can live a normal life. Years later she learns her daughter and Martha both also knew him, and the ending is sweet and poignant.

It was made in 1947 with Gene Tierney, at her height of beauty, and Rex Harrison, looking extraordinarily handsome and sexy. It was beautifully directed by Joseph Mankiewicz, but one of the most outstanding things about the movie is the background music. There are parts where time is passing, and between the cresendoes of the music and the pounding of waves on rocks and the shore, you can easily imagine the time passing. Later at the end as I mentioned the poignant scene is attended by one of the most gorgeous musical accompaniment pieces we have heard in many a movie. I even looked it up on imdB to learn who did it, and Mr. Bernard Hermann was the composer, unfortunately he passed away long ago, and what a shame. I plan to go back and see what else he worked on.

I've spoken of this movie before, but mainly in passing, and as I have said a hundred times; Each time I watch it I get something else from it, and this time - wide awake me - finally heard the music. If you've never seen it, do try to some day, I think you'll find it very pleasing.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
feaito

Re: Non Categorized movies

Post by feaito »

It's one of my favorite films Anne. Beautifully performed, scored and filmed. It truly belongs to the kind of film Hollywood just can't make anymore...
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Hi Anne
The Ghost and Mrs Muir is one of my tippy top favorites! I love this movie, and I love the music
so much I have the soundtrack on CD. It is all the things you described and very moving. I never
tire of watching it.

Bernard Herrmann wrote many memorable scores, including those for several of HItchcock's most
famous films. My favorite of his scores in order of preference:

The Ghost and Mrs Muir
Vertigo
On Dangerous Ground
North by Northwest
Jane Eyre (1944)
Garden of Evil

I am afraid he also did the score for one of your least favorites, Citizen Kane.
:D
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

I am afraid he also did the score for one of your least favorites, Citizen Kane.

I also believe that CITIZEN KANE was Herrmann's first feature film. Kids just can't make good movies, can they?
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

ChiO wrote:

I also believe that CITIZEN KANE was Herrmann's first feature film. Kids just can't make good movies, can they?
:D
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers