A Canterbury Tale (1944)

MissGoddess

A Canterbury Tale (1944)

Post by MissGoddess »

Oh my goodness! I just saw this movie on TCM and was completely enchanted!
How come I've never heard of it? It is now BY FAR my favorite Powell/Pressburger
movie and one of my all-time favorite British films. I was moved to tears by its
beauty and humanity. Just a lovely, lovely story with agreeable characters, a piquant
tale that extracts a surprising poignancy from the past and the present in a way that
is almost Fordian...I've just ordered my copy from Criterion, I'm delighted it's on DVD!

If you missed this "tale", be sure to rent it or catch it next time it airs, it is a truly
remakrable film and I am astonished it isn't mentioned all that much when they discuss
Powell/Pressburger films. I never enjoyed any of the others half as much as this
though it has many similar elements (mix of reality and fancy, in particular). Do
see it if you haven't, and tell me what you think if you have!
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
klondike

Re: A Canterbury Tale (1944)

Post by klondike »

Make room for this ol' Sleddog in that adoration parade, April; this film is an absolute gem, and the only reason I don't proclaim it my favorite Powell/Pressburger production is because it gets edged-out, in my heart, by I Know Where I'm Going . . but not by much!
In truth, I know not where to begin with the raves . . it's just that darn good, and every time I watch it, I derive more satisfaction from it . . because as casual & spontaneous as this film feels, from right out the gate, it really does stand up to all the repeat scrutiny any viewer wishes to pay it.
But forgive my blathering away; you're the new discoverer - you should be extolling to us long-time fans the virtues of this chummy masterwork, as seen fresh & new!
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Oh! I'm so glad to see another fan! I really had no idea about this little gem! I
feel like I discovered a secret treasure yet I want the whole world to see it!

It's the most loving, affectionate English film I think I ever saw. While I think
I prefer the seaside setting of IKWIG (I love the sea), I was ravished by the
beauty of the countryside, the village and town of Canterbury---even in
black and white it all looked so very beautiful. And the marvelous characters!
They seemed so real, like they couldn't possibly be actors and actresses, but
real villagers they selected to appear in the film.

Another thing I loved was the funny, warm way the American G.I. interracts
with the locals...so appealing! I was very taken with how they depicted this
aspect of the story. Really, all the characters were marvelously developed,
including the mysterious Mr. Culpeper.

If anyone had told me I'd love a movie about a "Glue Man" I'd have looked
at them like they had three head, lol....
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Miss G., the way you describe this P&P makes me know it's almost a certainly I will love it! Thanks for giving us the heads-up.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

A CANTERBURY TALE is by far my favorite Powell-Pressburger movie...after A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH and I KNOW WHERE I'M GOING (then toss in PEEPING TOM and EDGE OF THE WORLD without Pressburger and that's why Powell keeps getting close to Orson's territory in my Favorite Directors Landscape).

The Glue Man -- try as he might to avoid it, Powell usually found a way to sneak in some perversity...but seldom as overtly as here.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Glad you enjoyed A Canterbury Tale Miss G. Like the good Dr. O, it's not my favorite of P&P works, but it seems kind of silly to say this as everything they made was of such high quality. Kind of like comparing two C-notes and saying one is a little more crisp and clean. They both spend the same. 8)
klondike

Post by klondike »

I do believe Ark's on to something there (big surprise, huh); choosing favorites from within the Powell/Pressburger library, for most of us, just gets down to preferences in plot content, I feel, as their watermarks in filming, script, casting, editing, direction & score always seem universally high.