The Nun's Story

mrsl

Re: The Nun's Story

Post by mrsl »

Kingrat:[/b]

I do what you did all the time, turn a movie on just for a minute and end up watching the whole thing. Your review of the film was extremely thoughtful in addition to being eloquent. Another person with that gift that I so wish I had, but oh well. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm sure the name keeps people away from seeing it, and that is a shame because it is such a gem for both the eyes, and just a great form of entertainment.

Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
jdb1

Re: The Nun's Story

Post by jdb1 »

I like both the book and the movie, and I never noticed that there was anything anti-Catholic about it. The subject matter here is not really one's religion, but how one keeps the faith. The realization that these can be two different things what pushes Sister Luke to question what she once took for granted.

What I see as the strong core of the story is that it deals quite frankly with a woman's inner life, something we got very little of way back then, and not nearly enough of now. I think Hepburn was terrific in helping us to understand the struggles Sister Luke was having both emotionally and spiritually. The fact that there is no conventionally happy ending makes it all the more powerful. The Nun's Story is one of the best stories about the nature of faith and the struggle to maintain it that I know of. It is a film (and story) that will never lose its relevance.