Bus Stop

jdb1

Re: Bus Stop

Post by jdb1 »

Yes, Alison, I think you've got it: her range points up the way MM saw herself, so I'd say that Bus Stop is her best as "Marilyn the Star," and The Misfits is her best as "Marilyn the Actress."

I think it's a credit to her abilities that even as exploited and misused as she was professionally, she still managed to to be so exceptional at what she did, and we still want to see her. And I do agree about MM the woman. Despite her insecurities and her frustrating work habits, in all the reading I've done about her, and from all the people I ever spoke to who either knew her, or knew people who knew her, I've never come across a single bad word about her as a person or as a friend. She must have been lovely.
charliechaplinfan

Re: Bus Stop

Post by charliechaplinfan »

That's nice to know, there have been so many biographies written about her and not every biographer wants to present the nice side of her. I don't think she had an ounce of malice in her, any unreliability was the result of her timidity and possibly the affects of prescription drugs. I have Arthur Miller's autobiography, his account of their life together is very touching and despairing at the same time. He didn't have an axe to grind, I felt he gave as good an insight as any I'd read.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin