INHERIT THE WIND

mrsl

INHERIT THE WIND

Post by mrsl »

This movie for me is the one that you sit and watch if you happen to run across it when channel surfing. I cannot ignore Inherit The Wind. You can say what you want to about Laurence Olivier, but give me Spencer Tracey as the best English speaking actor we have ever had. Spence did it all. He stretched himself from different ethnic roles to different accents. From rough westerners, to polished gentlemen. I find Spence tops Larry on all points.

This movie was one of his most significant roles. Frederick March was terrific also, but Spence was a shining star. Watching those two older gentlemen throwing scathing remarks at each other, then having a pleasant hour rocking on the porch later in the evening was so human (that's the only word I can think of). In that hot courtroom, they are like two old stallions, fighting to control the herd, knowing only one can win, but showing everyone how it's done. I know it was a 'must-see' in my nieces' Artistic Endeavors class, and it should be for every fledgling actor. This movie is acting at it's best. Harry Morgan is amazing as the old country judge, who is not afraid to admit when he is not sure of something, which makes him quite intelligent in my estimation. Claude Akins, as the preacher and father of the girl in love with the man on trial is chilling during one of his sermons, and you find yourself listening as if it was your own preacher up there. Of course, Gene Kelly has his nose stuck in there as a reporter, and much as I hate to admit it, I like him in it. No singing, No dancing - good Gene Kelly. I've seen a couple of other versions, most recently with Jack Lemmon and as good as he was, it didn't come near the calibre of this movie.

I know we've discussed it before, but I just saw it again, by channel surfing, and had to remark on it for any newcomers who have not seen it. Please watch it, the next time you see it listed. You will be glad you did.

Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: INHERIT THE WIND

Post by movieman1957 »

They are brilliant performances. I only wish March might have been toned down a little. Your point about them beating each other up all day and sharing some friendly time helps make their duel more interesting. I also like the way Tracy and "Mrs. Harrison" spend time catching up and both worry about "Mr. Harrison."

It is worth just to watch the two stars.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I love the movie too, and find I cannot leave it on in "the background". I always end up sitting there with my mouth open watching the fireworks... Even my husband, who is not a classic movie fan, got sucked into it one afternoon.

I agree about Spencer Tracy. I have seen that Burt Reynolds tribute 180 times and I cry every blessed time....

One of the performances I like is Dick York... it's not a big showy performance, but I still love him anyway.

And I have to say, Gene Kelly is a great heel in this movie.

But the movie is Tracy's.

mrsl - did you get my PM?
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Tracey & March are from Milwaukee. Cant beat those Midwe st born actors. :D
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Well all, I took your advice and looked at this movie, considering it features two of my favorites stars I can't believe I never watched it before.

I agree it's Spencer Tracy's movie, just in the same way that To Kill A Mockingbird is Gregory Peck's, he's the voice of reason balanced against the bigotry of the town, we can't help but route for him. Spencer Tracy aside there are some surprising (for me) performances in this movie. I can't decide whether Fredric March is a superb actor in this part, the constant eating, different accent, facial tics etc. why I can't decide is because the roles are based on real people and maybe the man he was playing was like that, for me he'd have been more authentic if he'd have played it quieter and more intelligent like Spence but then I guess the contrast is what they wanted to achieve. Florence Eldridge often appears in Fredric March's films but rarely is she given a real chance to shine and she is so effective here, we feel she is another voice of reason, a voice of reason choked up with love for her husband, she can see he's gone wrong and wants so desperately to protect him. Gene Kelly, placed between Fredric March and Spencer Tracy, something rubbed off, he was very good in this film, a pity he wasn't given other chances to act, the boater hat did kep giving me the impression that he was going to burst into a dance.

I liked the photography. I felt the baking heat of the court room. I thought Fredric March's bald head was not at all convincing, old men's bald heads crease, this one was smooth like a football, he didn't look convincingly padded out either.

I think Spencer Tracy needs investigating further, I can see why he's a two time Oscar winner. What I don't understand is he won early in his career, twice, then nothing, even though he played many memorable roles as he grew older.

What really interests me and partly horrifies me is how much of this story is true. I know that the teacher in question agreed to stand trial. Was the town really so prejudiced. Did it really burn an effigy of the teacher? Or was the trial played up for publicity?
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
charliechaplinfan

Anne, you compared Laurence Olivier to Spencer Tracy, well, this English girl agrees with you. I'd much rather have Spencer Tracy.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

To me Olivier wasn't a great movie star, I even think the UKs other great stage actor Ralph Richardson was better on film. I remember Bette Davis saying while filming The Private Lives Of Elizabeth And Essex that she would have prefered Oivier to Errol Flynn, but IMO Flynn was a natural film actor, Olivier again IMO wasn't.

Tracy was one of the film greats, no doubt, but personally I have Jimmy Stewart, Charlie Chaplin, John Wayne and Cary Grant ahead of him. I think Jimmy Stewart and Cary Grant did make more classic movies than Spence

Inherit The Wind is a great film and I loved the scene where Tracy used the bible to blow March out of the water. I'd also recommend the remake with Jason Robards in the Tracy role and Kirk Douglas in March's
charliechaplinfan

Olivier has been discussed recently on another thread, I think that What Have You Watched Lately thread there he's compared to Vivien Leigh in terms of who was the most natural in front of the movie camera. Vivien was a movie star, she came across so well on screen whereas Larry can sometimes appear stilted.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

If pressed to name THE BEST ACTOR in movies, it would be hard beat Spencer Tracy. He simply delved deeper, came up with more, than almost anybody else. Consistently. His work in GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER, THE LAST HURRAH and JUDGMENT AT NUREMBERG is inspired. Likewise WOMAN OF THE YEAR, PAT AND MIKE, BOYS TOWN.

But this fascinating, memorable movie showcases the great actor at his best. The story is spellbinding. The characters adorable. The atmosphere of the sweltering courtroom, as well as the town itself, places the viewer right in 1920's Tennessee.

What's true and what's fiction? I'm not sure. Did the ACLU arrange the violation in order to draw attention to the issue? So I've heard. These things don't detract from a first rate filming of a scintillating play. Or a near flawless performance by a one of a kind actor.
charliechaplinfan

I'm quite a fan of Fredric March but his film choices weren't always the best and have quite a backlog of Spencer Tracy movies to get through. Since watching Inherit the Wind I've watched him in Father of the Bride, Fury and Big City and read about his acting in a couple of books, he never rehearsed and was unsure about his talent. He has a naturalness, an ease with characters that isn't always apparent with other actors.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I have to agree, Red...This is one I ALWAYS watch... it's just so entertaining to watch the way Tracy thinks - he holds you in his hand.

I'd love to see Spence in this movie go up against Orson Welles in Compulsion - now wouldn't that be a great screen battle?
charliechaplinfan

I think I slightly prefer Judgement at Nuremberg, I think it's Marlene who tips the balance towards Nuremberg along with the cameos by Judy Garland and Montgomery Clift. Spence is great in both.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I agree, Nuremberg is, I think, a better, more gripping movie, and Spence is more subtle there. The acting he is called on to do is less clear cut, and much more interesting because of that. Nuremberg walks a line of doubt, showing both sides in a more impartial way than Inherit the Wind, and finally settling down on one side with Tracy's speech at the end. Inherit the Wind has already picked a side to be on at the beginning of the film. But I do love to watch it, just to see how they get to the final result.
Gary J.

Post by Gary J. »

charliechaplinfan wrote: Since watching Inherit the Wind I've watched him in Father of the Bride, Fury and Big City and read about his acting in a couple of books, he never rehearsed and was unsure about his talent.
I don't think Tracy ever doubted his talent. It was probably the one asset of his that he was most confident of. But he did carry a load of emotional baggage throughout his life, such as Catholic guilt, which was acerbated by his alcoholism. And there was one aspect of guilt that he seemed to share with many other of the top stars and directors of the thirties - that working in movies was not exactly a manly occupation. Most of these stars came from working class families and despite the fame and money they earned, periodic twinges of remorse would gnaw at these men concerning how they earned a living.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I can believe Spence didn't rehearse much. More than most actors, he looked as if he were saying and doing it for the first time. Not following a script. I bet there was a lot of improv going on.

Yes, INHERIT THE WIND chooses sides immediately and with conviction. That must be infuriating to those who don't support the view. But that was the norm in Hollywood movies of that era. (Still is?) "Nuremberg" not withstanding, how many mainstream movies paint both sides of a controversial picture?