All That Heaven Allows

feaito

Re: All That Heaven Allows

Post by feaito »

No Paula, haven't seen the 1935 version, but I'm looking forward to it.

Criterion has ben releasing many of its films on Blu-Ray, so maybe soon will get them in that format. Sometimes, although, playing such remasterized films as "Quo Vadis?" on DVD in a Blu-Ray equipment which upscales greatly the quality of the image, there's really not much difference -in my eyes- with the Blu-Ray release. Honest. It depends on the release and the difference of the restoration processes between the DVD and the Blu-Ray release. Anyway, I'm not planning to replace my whole DVD Collection with Blu-Rays...only very certain and determined films.

PT, thank you for your feedback re. Agnes performances in both Sirk films. Maybe I perceived her characterization in ATHA as more complex, because she seems to be the nicest, most human member of the "Country Club Society" in that movie. She understands what's happening to Jane, but she knows there will be trouble for her in their circle. Not that she really disapproves, but she doesn't want her friend to suffer because of her relationship with Hudson. She's only apparently shallow and there's a scene where she says something about not having had children. She touched me very much in that film. On the surface she's one person, but underneath...

On the other hand, in MO she plays a sincerely devoted nurse and friend, that exudes wisdom, and she underplays her beautifully, but I see no contradictions in her character like in ATHA. Different takes and points of view, but it's a pleasure to exchange them with clever, civil people like you all. BTW, one of my favorite Agnes roles is the absolutely despicable character she played in "Dark Passage", what a wonderful bi--h!! She' s also a delight in in "Mrs. Parkington" (1944). And so mysteriously eerie in "The Lost Moment" (1947), one of my favorite newly discovered films.