Return to Me

mrsl

Return to Me

Post by mrsl »

I may have written about this one before, but if so, forgive me for wanting to embellish a bit and call it to the attention of some folks I think would truly like it as I do.

Return to Me:

It's not very old, In fact I Went out and bought it shortly after seeing it the first time. It affected me that much.

First we meet David Ducovny (Bob) and his wife Elizabeth, an animal lover working to build a better and more natural habitat for the gorillas in Chicago's downtown Lincoln Park Zoo. Returning from a fund raiser they are in an accident and Elizabeth dies. The writer, Bonnie Hunt plays down the accident, in fact we don't see it at all, we get the aftermath when Bob gets home and just sort of melts down at the front door and cries, we also see their dog suffering by not wanting to eat or play. Now enters Minnie Driver (Grace), who needs a heart transplant. So, guess who's heart she gets? Although everything is completely confidential, Grace manages to get a letter sent to her donor because she feels she has to say something to them. But she doesn't sign the letter. That letter is the basis for a terrible mix-up at the end, but first Bob and Grace have a wonderful courtship, attended by her grandfather ( Carroll O'Connor), and his three cronies including Robert Loggia, who all have a hand in getting the couple together. David Allen Grier is Bob's best friend who is doing his best to get Bob back into the dating world, but picks a real doozy for his first but all goes well because they go to an Italian restaurant run by Irish Grampa (O'Connor) and Bob and Grace meet. There's a scene with bottled water that is priceless. I didn't mention that Graces best friend is Bonnie Hunt, whose husband is Jim Belushi. In case you haven't caught my drift yet, the supporting cast is terrific!

This may sound like a dramatic film but it's filled with comedy. Belushi is at his best, and the four old guys are great. They're always arguing who is the best singer, ball player, writer, etc.

This is a great little gem which seemed to have gone unnoticed when it first came out. If you've never seen it, I would suggest adding it to your netflix list. Charlie Chaplin Fan, Miss Goddess, all of you gals will love this one, and your hubby's may also, because there is enough testosterone floating around to keep them happy.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
knitwit45

Re: Return to Me

Post by knitwit45 »

Anne, this is one of my top 5 romance movies (can't believe I didn't list it under essential romance). If you haven't yet, listen to the audio commentary by Bonnie Hunt as you watch the movie. Priceless, and with some interesting facts about the writing and acting of the movie.

Best line in the movie? "Your ass is ringing"...
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I love this movie! And hubby loves Minnie Driver....

he has good taste. :D
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

One thing I forgot to say was that this movie reminded me of the romantic comedy movies of the golden age. Why can't films be written today that combine romance and comedy to the very end as this one does? Most comedies today turn serious by about half or two thirds through. Even though this tackles a serious topic, Bonnie kept it light and funny right through the end to the wedding. I love the faces Bonnie makes behind Jim's back in some of the scenes with the kids, and Grace.

I have listened to the audio commentary and you're correct in that some interesting facts are revealed. But in all, I love the whole movie and wanted to call attention to it so others could enjoy it also.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
klondike

Post by klondike »

Anne, judging from your review of Return To Me, I believe you might want to consider renting Seven Pounds (if you haven't already), which came out, I believe, about three years ago.
If you've been less than a big fan of Will Smith movies, don't let that keep you away from this one - it's quite unlike anything else he's ever done, and I thought his work here was absolutely Oscar-worthy.
Though a quiet film, I found it profoundly moving.