A Shine of Rainbows

mrsl

A Shine of Rainbows

Post by mrsl »

Remake of a remake but.................with a twist.

A little boy in an Irish orphanage never gets picked because he has red hair, freckles, and he's a runt . . . . . wouldn't be any good on the fishing boats with no strength in his arms, but a lovely lady with red hair and freckles suddenly appears one day and picks him. I won't go any further right now because you pretty much already know the story, but this one has a good twist to it.

In 1946, Maureen O'Hara (the real beautiful redhead), and John Payne starred in Sentimental Journey.. Maureen's hubby can barely shave in the morning without her getting his soap and razor ready, he's that dependant on her. Well Maureen goes looking at an orphanage and sees this little 'darling' prancing around with a little plastic horse and whinnying - - so cute!!!! So, she takes Hitty (or), Mehitabel home to meet Papa John who takes an instant dislike (I can't say I blame him, that kid was one of the most irritating of them all - Connie Marshall) No amount of picnics, parties, or quiet talks helps any kind of a bond to form and when she dies, John wants nothing to do with anybody, especially Hitty. She tries making his coffee, and breakfast, and other little things but nothing works. When she tells him that Maureen visits her and tells her what to do, he gets more angry. I'm sure it will be on one of these days, or you could probably rent it from Netflix to learn how it ends.

Four years later in 1950, Margaret Sullavan and Wendell Corey show up as Mary and Brad Scott with little Polly in tow (Natalie Wood), in No Sad Songs for Me. This time Wendel and Polly get along better, but Magaret learns there has been some hanky panky going on with the secretary Chris Rodna (Vivica LIndfors) and decides to further the romance so her little girl will have a mom that she knows to comfort her.

So although little facts are changed, the story is basically the same as is this newer version, A Shine of Rainbows. One twist is the location is taken out of the U.S. and moved to Ireland, also the child is a boy which makes a heck of a lot more sense to me if the child is to be a companion to the widowed husband. The lady Connie Nielson is someone I've never heard of but she could be really big in Ireland, and the guy is Aiden Quinn. This is another movie I've seen Aiden in where he gets to shine a little more than he has in American movies. He was a pow-pow lawyer in Evelyn trying to save Pierce Brosnans kids when the Irish government/church decided a man could not raise children properly alone - he had to be married. I'm finding I like waking up very early and checking the channels less advertised than HBO I, and Showtime I, and Cinemax I. They all offer another 6 to 8 more channels and that's where you can find these little known gems. Similar to the little gems we discover when TCM digs down into it's lesser known movies. Any one of these are fine stand-alone movies, but if you see it coming on, check out A Shine of Rainbows.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************