Favorite Sports Related Film

ken123

Favorite Sports Related Film

Post by ken123 »

I really like " The Natural ", and " The Pride of the Yankees "
ken123

Post by ken123 »

HBO has a documentary about the last 10 years of the Brooklyn Dodgers. It is great. :wink:
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

Well, unsurprisingly, PRIDE OF THE YANKEES is certainly a favorite of mine...
My wife said she'd help young people, ... That's what I'd do. Help young people, then buy a big motor home and get out of town.
~ Gary Cooper
Erebus

Post by Erebus »

"Field of Dreams" - always makes me cry

or "The Killing", if you can count it 'cuz it's about horse racing
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I love any film about either football (from Knute Rockne, to Brian Piccolo), or horse racing (from National Velvet to Dreamy).

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

It's funny, I like watching sports films much better than watching sports. I think that's because in a film you just see the most exciting parts of a game, the highlights. I'm not very athletic, so I never watch sports on tv. I spent my childhood in darkened theatres. :lol:

I really enjoy baseball films: Pride of the Yankees, The Sandlot, Field of Dreams, Bull Durham, A League of Their Own, Major League, Eight Men Out, The Natural.

other sports films that I like: Rudy, Pat and Mike, National Velvet.

Sandy K
vallo

Post by vallo »

While I maybe a little bias because it stars Lancaster. But I'll say Jim Thorpe -- All-American the only problem I have is that Charles Bickford who plays 'Pop' Warner (Jim's Coach) is suppose to be older than Thorpe but at the end he looks much younger (maybe it's me?) Directed by The legendary Michael Curtiz.

vallo
"We're all forgotten sooner or later. But not films. That's all the memorial we should need or hope for."
-Burt Lancaster
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Vallo:

Jim Thorpe, All American
was one of the few films I truly liked Burt Lancaster in. I don't know how true to life the story was, but I did like the way Burt did it. I do know his medals were all returned lat in the 1970's after his children did a lot of petitioning, and deservedly so. Considering the problems we have in sports today, taking his medals away because of earning a lousy $10.00 for one ball game is heart breaking.

Also, I have to put in my 2 cents for Field of Dreams. I adored James Earl Jones in it, and again Burt Lancaster - I think I preferred Lancaster when he got older because he lost that 'Look at Me' attitude.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
cmvgor

favorite sports movie

Post by cmvgor »

Major League for laughs.

Bang The Drum Slowly for drama.
"Faint heart never filled inside straight"
--Bret & Bart's Pappy
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Requiem for a Heavyweight (1962)

Hoop Dreams (1994)
bradtexasranger

Post by bradtexasranger »

Anybody out there like Kevin Costner in For Love Of The Game? I cry every time I see it :oops:

The Natural and Field Of Dreams are other favorites. Everytime a Texas Ranger hits a home run at home, they play the music from The Natural where Robert Redford hit his big homer. Never get tired of hearing it. :)
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Olympia (1936)
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

One sports movie that I'm always surprised that I liked was "Tokyo Olympiad" made by Kon Ichikawa about the 1964 Olympics. It was like watching the Olympics WITHOUT all the commercials and the "this is Susie skater's home town in Wisconsin" features and the blabbing know-it-all analysis. And without that, guess what, watching the Olympics is actually enjoyable.

As for fiction movies about sports, my favorites are unsurprising: "The natural" and "Bull Durham" for baseball, "The Set-Up" for boxing, and "The Freshman" and "Horsefeathers" for football.
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

Boxing: The Champ (1931) The Harder they Fall (1956) Champion (1949) Raging Bull (1980)

Basketball: Hoosiers (1986) Hoop Dreams (1994)

Football: The Replacements (2000) Monday Night Mayhem (2002) Knute Rockne: All American (1940) Little Giants (1994)

Baseball: Pride of the Yankees (1942) Major League (1989) Angels in the Outfield (1951) Rookie of the Year (1993) Little Big League (1994)