It's Hammer Horror Time!

ChiO

It's Hammer Horror Time!

Post by ChiO »

Tomorrow (Friday), from 8pm EST to 1:30am EST, TCM is saluting Hammer Horror with a decided baring of the neck for our Gothic pal, Dracula.

8pm HORROR OF DRACULA (Fisher, 1958)

9:30pm THE BRIDES OF DRACULA (Fisher, 1960)

11pm DRACULA, PRINCE OF DARKNESS (Fisher, 1966)

12:45am DRACULA HAS RISEN FROM THE GRAVE (Francis, 1969)

With Robert Lippert as its American distributor, Hammer was known in America in the early '50s primarily for British film noir starring American actors such as Dane Clark, John Ireland and Lloyd Bridges. In the mid-'50s there was a shift to science fiction. Then in the late-'50s came the deluge of remakes of and spins on Universal horror films and, for many of us, making Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing a part of our nightmares.

After the Hammer Horror Salute, we might as well record PSYCHOMANIA aka THE DEATH WHEELERS (Sharp, 1973) and DAUGHTERS OF SATAN (Morse, 1972), which happens to be Tom Selleck's first leading role in the movies.

Fire up those DVRs, wooden stakes (or steaks) and garlic...and keep a mirror and cross handy.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Mr. Arkadin

Re: It's Hammer Horror Time!

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

The Hammer films are a welcome change from the standard fare that TCM plays every year. While there are a few movies I would have enjoyed seeing (Kiss of the Vampire [1963] is a big omission), I'm very happy with the selection they've chosen. I also like how they've broken up the subgenres, with vampire films on one night, Frankenstein on another, and so on.

The Horror of Dracula is a great starter and I actually prefer it to Browning's 1931 film (nothing comes close to Nosferatu [1922]---except maybe Kinski as Nosferatu [1979]). While some might feel color horror films lack atmosphere, Horror of Dracula actually uses the medium quite deftly by layering backgrounds with muted tones and using brighter, bolder, colors for shock effects:

Bring on the popcorn and let's boogie!
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

A trailer teaser for tonight's opener:

[youtube][/youtube]
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I'm very glad that TCM is spotlighting Hammer horror.

I'm always surprised at how few people are aware of Hammer horror. When "Lord of the Rings" came out, I heard people ask "Who's Christopher Lee?"

I'm glad "Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed" is being shown. That has always been one of my favorites.

Lesser-known Hammer films that I like include "Vampire Circus," "Demons of the Mind" and "Dr. Jekyll and Sister Hyde." None of them have Cushing or Lee, and thus they fall of the radar.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

As most everyone should know by now, I'm a big time sci-fi fan, but dislike horror intensely. I had to laugh this morning watching the October monthly forecast with RO when he stated, near the end that you must have seen something that caught your eye that you want to be sure not to miss. I actually did say out loud
"Sorry, not this month". But you horror fans will most likely have a field day with so much being offered. I say this in all kindness and good humor - Have a fun time and hopefully you can top it all off with a great Halloween party.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

They're baaack.....

Hammer Horror returns to TCM tonight with a new set of shockers:

The Plague of the Zombies (1966)
A small town noble uses zombies to work his tin mine and kill his enemies.
Cast: Andre Morell, Diane Clare, Brook Williams, Jacqueline Pearce Dir: John Gilling C-90 mins, TV-14

The Devil's Bride (1968)
Small town Satanists lure an innocent brother and sister into their coven.
Cast: Christopher Lee, Charles Gray, Nike Arrighi, Leon Greene Dir: Terence Fisher C-96 mins, TV-14

The Reptile (1966)
Indian snake worshippers turn an explorer's daughter into a hideous monster.
Cast: Noel Willman, Jennifer Daniel, Ray Barrett, Jacqueline Pearce Dir: John Gilling C-90 mins, TV-PG

The Gorgon (1964)
A mythical monster turns men to stone in a remote European village.
Cast: Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee, Richard Pasco, Barbara Shelley Dir: Terence Fisher C-83 mins, TV-PG

It should be noted that The Devil's Bride was originally released in the U.K. under under the title, The Devil Rides Out, so if the description seems familiar, it is indeed the same film and one of the few where Christopher Lee plays a hero instead of his usual villain (The Gorgon is similar fare):

[youtube][/youtube]
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

eeeek :shock: :shock:
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

MikeBSG wrote:Lesser-known Hammer films that I like include "Vampire Circus," "Demons of the Mind" and "Dr. Jekyll and Sister Hyde." None of them have Cushing or Lee, and thus they fall of the radar.
Vampire Circus has just been released on Blue-Ray by Synapse (who are also putting out Twins of Evil, and Hands of the Ripper), but has not had a standard DVD release in the U.S.. I'm wondering if anyone will be offering DVD's of these and other films, or if the market is beginning to shift solely to Blue-Ray.
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

Synapse is releasing Vampire Circus on Dec. 14th. It will be a combo Blu-ray + Standard DVD pack. (Looks to be some good extras, too.)
http://www.cinesploitation.com/?p=5696
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

MichiganJ wrote:It will be a combo Blu-ray + Standard DVD pack.
I read that in the title of other sites, but could find no specifics on the actual DVD, whereas all the blue-ray aspects were mentioned. I thought it was perhaps a typo, or other mistake (like TCM releasing Copkiller [1983] this month, complete with old artwork from previous issues). Sad to say, I don't like paying extra for a disc I won't be using, although it might make a nice gift to someone with a BR player.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I'm glad TCM showed some of these Hammer rarities last Friday. I really like "Plague of the Zombies" and think it is one of the best Hammer horror films.

"The Reptile" is okay. It seems more like an AIP Poe film with Vincent Price than a Hammer film to me, but it is very good.

I've never been as taken with "The Devil Rides Out" as some people are. I think of it as the Hammer film for people who hate Hammer films.

"The Gorgon" has some good stuff, such as the climax, but the plot seems overly convoluted to me.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Hammer time again! Don't call out for your mummy tonight....

The Mummy (1959)
A resurrected mummy stalks the archaeologists who defiled his tomb.
Cast: Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee, Yvonne Furneaux, Eddie Byrne Dir: Terence Fisher C-88 mins, TV-PG

The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb (1964)
An unearthed mummy returns to life to claim the reincarnation of his lost love.
Cast: Ronald Howard, Terence Morgan, Fred Clark, Jeanne Roland Dir: Michael Carreras C-80 mins, TV-PG

The Mummy's Shroud (1967)
The words on an Egyptian prince's burial shroud revive a vengeful mummy.
Cast: Andre Morell, John Phillips, David Buck, Elizabeth Sellars Dir: John Gilling C-90 mins, TV-PG

Blood From the Mummy's Tomb (1971)
An evil Egyptian princess' sprit possesses an Egyptologist's daughter.
Cast
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Once more, with feeling (or should I say Frankenstein?):

The Curse of Frankenstein (1957)
A scientist's attempts to create life unleash a bloodthirsty monster.
Cast: Peter Cushing, Hazel Court, Robert Urquhart, Christopher Lee Dir: Terence Fisher C-83 mins, TV-14

The Revenge of Frankenstein (1958)
After escaping execution, a mad scientist moves his experiments to a German hospital.
Cast: Peter Cushing, Francis Matthews, Eunice Gayson, Michael Gwynn Dir: Terence Fisher C-90 mins, TV-PG

Frankenstein Created Woman (1966)
Baron Frankenstein puts a wrongly executed man's brain into a beautiful woman's body.
Cast: Peter Cushing, Susan Denberg, Thorley Walters, Robert Morris Dir: Terence Fisher C-92 mins, TV-14

Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed! (1969)
Baron Frankenstein blackmails a brother and sister into helping him with a brain transplant.
Cast: Peter Cushing, Simon Ward, Veronica Carlson, Thorley Walters Dir: Terence Fisher C-101 mins, TV-14
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I've never cared for "Frankenstein Created Woman." Perhaps because the Baron is too nice, too concerned with souls instead of brains and bodies.

"curse of Frankenstein" and "Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed" are two of the best horror movies Hammer ever made. I don't know why more people don't like (or aren't even aware of) "Must Be Destroyed."