The Woman in Black

mrsl

The Woman in Black

Post by mrsl »

Masha:
Masha:

It's been a while since a good discussion has happened on this thread. Referring to a comment you made on the Haven thread about sci-fi vs. paranormal, unfortunately we seem to have more Horror fans than sci-fi or paranormal for which I speak. For years although a 1950's low budget, completely bereft of any visions to come movie, Them has long been the No. 1 favorite sci-fi film in my opinion, and the 1944 Ray Milland/Ruth Hussey The Uninvited has always been my idea of a Top of the Shelf paranormal movie, and even Robert O. agrees with me. Last night however, I finally saw a 2012 movie starring Daniel Radcliffe (Harry Potter), named The Woman in Black [/b]which almost matches up with The Uninvited in being frightful. Daniel has lost his wife and is raising his little boy when he gets an assignment to investigate strange goings-on in a small rural English village. The direction and editing is superb, similar to the( mistake) made in not showing the shark until late in the movie in Jaws. The knowledge that something is happening and something is out there, does no good to the audience at first because Daniel himself is not quite sure what he is supposed to be investigating. It's not until about half way through the movie we finally get to gasp and hold our breath in curiosity, and shock. The director is James Watkins although that means nothing to me - not being nasty, just don't know him at all, but if this is an example of his work, I'm sure he will become more known as time goes by. The gloom, dreary rooms, static music, and subtle acting of Radcliffe (no sense of the Harry Potter kid at all), all added up to a fine paranormal movie with a great ending. No more to be said however.

Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
MikeBSG

Re: The Woman in Black

Post by MikeBSG »

I was very impressed with "The Woman in Black" when I saw it a couple of years ago. It did seem to owe a lot to Val Lewton in how it generated fright in the viewer.

The 1968 Japanese movie "The Black Cat" is finally available in the US under the Japanese name "Kuroneko." It's one of those movies that I've heard about but have never seen. However, I like a different film from the same director. "Onibaba" is a very visceral film, sometimes considered a horror film, although I think everything in it can be rationally explained.