Favorite Feel Good Movie

sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

I love old musicals--especially anything with Fred Astaire. It can be his RKO films with Ginger, or his later MGM films--doesn't matter--Fred ALWAYS cheers me up! I find his presence in a film very comforting.

Other comfort films for me are:
The Philadelphia Story
Desk Set
How to Marry a Millionaire

and because I was in high school in the early '80's--Valley Girl, Sixteen Candles and Ferris Bueller's Day Off! Fried Green Tomatoes is another modern fave.

Wow, my list is REALLY girly...

Sandy K
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Hi Sandy! Welcome back, you've been missed around here.

I love your movies, as I was reading the list I was thinking, "Oh, Yeah! I love that one too"

girls just wanna have fun!
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

Aw, shucks, Nancy! Thanks.

Yes, as Cyndi Lauper sang. "Girls, Just Wanna Have Fu-un!"

Love that Cyndi Lauper.

Sandy K
melwalton

movie

Post by melwalton »

HIGHLY RECOMENDED

LI'L Abner T C M FRIDAY 2/ 6 113O PM
rudyfan

Post by rudyfan »

Auntie Mame with Roz Russell
My Favorite Wife with Cary Grant and Irene Dunne
are two favs of mine when I'm feeling blue
Rita Hayworth

Re: Favorite Feel Good Movie

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Favorite Feel Good Movie - Interesting Subject Matter

Here is my list:

The two Fred Astaire and Rita Hayworth Movies
Any Screwball Movie - A double bill of Bringing Up Baby and Our Man Godfrey would be fantastic
Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World - Starring Spencer Tracy and Gang
Any Bond Movie - except Daniel Craig - he is the worst 007 ever
All Dean Martin's Matt Helm Movies - I have all 4 of them on DVD's - When, I'm feeling sick - I watch them all and they lift my spirits high! Loaded with beautiful ladies and I like Dean's style as a Secret Agent for ICE.
Both James Corburn's Derek Flint Movies - I have both Our Man Flint and In Like Flint - I feel groovy after watching both of these movies. I dig the beautiful ladies in these two films.

The general theme here friends - Beautiful Dames, Screwball Comedies, and Secret Agents Movies that makes me feel good after watching them.

Special Note: Once a Year - I have a goof off day - and I watch all Dean Martin and James Corburn movies at the same time to go back the groovy times of the 1960's were. I usually do this when the weather is lousy, don't feel like monkey around with the PC, and sit back in my favorite chair and watch almost 12 hours of the wackiest Secret Agent movies ever made. A double bill of ICE and ZOWIE Organizations does the trick. They are SO 8) to watch :!:

ICE - Stands for Intelligence Counter Espionage
ZOWIE - Stands for Zonal Organization World Intelligence Espionage

After watching these all these movies - I'm :D :D :D :D :D :D all over again :!:
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I can vouch for the fact that movies can bouy the spirit when you're feeling under the weather.

I'd add The Fanny Trilogy to my list, it hits me in the same way Timothy Dalton's Jane Eyre gets me and Pride and Prejudice with Colin Firth of course. I just have to get to the end of them and instantly want to watch them again.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
norfious

Post by norfious »

Classic films can lift my spirits like nothing else!

For me, The Prisoner of Zenda(1937) always lifts me out of a funk and puts me in a great mood. Last spring, my spirits took a serious nosedive. What helped? Sitting on the couch, eating ice cream from the container, and getting a double helping of Ronald Colman in "The Prisoner of Zenda." Works like magic, I tell you! :)

Arbuckle & Keaton shorts, like my personal favorite Coney Island, are great mood lifters, too. How can one frown at the antics of Buster and Fatty?

Lastly, I am finding It's Love I'm After to work quite well, and thus I have ordered it from Amazon this week.
_Broadway_ from the TCM forums.
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

It's hard to beat A Hard Day's Night for a feel good movie - especially if you were 14 when it came out!

But a wonderful feel good movie is Harvey (1950). Still my favorite James Stewart performance of all time.
KayFrancis

Post by KayFrancis »

Sitting Pretty, A Date With Judy, Singin In the Rain, Kiss Me Kate, The Band Wagon, Auntie Mame, The World of Henry Orient, The Trouble with Angels, The Parent Trap ( original version ) just some of my go to movies
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

KayFrancis wrote: March 8th, 2023, 12:50 am Sitting Pretty, A Date With Judy, Singin In the Rain, Kiss Me Kate, The Band Wagon, Auntie Mame, The World of Henry Orient, The Trouble with Angels, The Parent Trap ( original version ) just some of my go to movies
I have a particular fondness for The Trouble with Angels as well. I was a young teen in a Catholic school when that came out and I related quite a bit with Rosalind Russell's nun performance. Our school principal was always a habited nun in those days.
Darla

Post by Darla »

Two Weeks with Love falls into this category for me - such a cozy movie with some great songs. :) Also, Tammy and the Bachelor, and as KayFrancis mentioned, The Parent Trap with Hayley Mills.
The best is yet to come