Ten Favorite Characters in Classic Movies

moira finnie
Administrator

Ten Favorite Characters in Classic Movies

Post by moira finnie »

Here's how this works. Pick your Ten Favorite Movie Characters and add a quote from each of them. Have fun!:

1.) Madame DeFarge/Miss Pross
Madame Defarge: "No? Do you know who I am?"
Miss Pross: "You might - from your appearance - be the wife of Lucifer; yet you shall not get the better of me. I'm an Englishwoman! I'm your match!"

2.) Dr. Robert Robertson from Johnny Belinda (1949)
"There's only one shame - failing a human being that needs you."

3.) Pete Krumbein from Nightmare Alley (1948)
Pete: "Throughout the ages, man has sought to look behind the veil that hides him from tomorrow. And through the ages, certain men have looked into the polished crystal... and seen. Is it some quality of the crystal itself, or does the gazer merely use it to turn his gaze inward? Who knows? But visions come. Slowly shifting their forms... visions come. Wait. The shifting shapes begin to clear. I see fields of grass... rolling hills... and a boy. A boy is running barefoot through the hills. A dog is with him. A... DOG... is... with... him.
Stanton Carlisle: Yes... go on... his name was Jib. Go on!
Pete Krumbein: [Choked laughter] "Humph. See how easy it is to hook 'em! Every boy has a dog."

4.) Wally Fay in Mildred Pierce (1945)
"Oh boy! I'm so smart it's a disease!"

5.) Cassie Hartley in They Drive By Night (1940)
"All right. That’s enough of the x-ray treatment."

6.) Mary Malden in On Dangerous Ground (1952)
"You're lucky. You don't have to trust anyone. I do. I have to trust everybody."

7.) Sid Jeffers in Humoresque (1946)
"It isn't what you are, it's what you don't become that hurts"

8.) Panama Smith in The Roaring Twenties (1939)
Cop: Well, how're you hooked up with him?
Panama Smith: "I could never figure it out."

9.) Max in Touchez Pas au Grisbi (1954)
"Try hunting snails, daddy-o...That's the trouble with young people - they're so doggone young!"

10.) Jimmy Monkley in Sylvia Scarlett (1936)
"One of the 'awks. Awks? Oh, hawks, hawks. Yeah, 'awks. The word 'awks. 'awks. Sparrows and 'awks that's humanity. The 'awks boss it over the sparrows. That's nature. Now, you wanna be a sparra?"
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
ChiO

Re: Ten Favorite Characters in Classic Movies

Post by ChiO »

1. Bart Tare (Gun Crazy): We go together, Annie. I don't know why. Maybe like guns and ammunition go together.

2. Jim Wilson (On Dangerous Ground): Why do you make me do it? You know you're gonna talk! I'm gonna make you talk! I always make you punks talk! Why do you do it? Why?

3. Brigadier General Jack D. Ripper (Dr. Strangelove…): I can assure you it has not recurred, Mandrake. Women uh... women sense my power and they seek the life essence. I, uh... I do not avoid women, Mandrake. …. But I... I do deny them my essence.

4. Hugo T. Firefly (Duck Soup): Remember, you're fighting for this woman's honor, which is probably more than she ever did.

5. Jim Stark (Rebel Without a Cause): You're tearing me apart!

6. Johnny Clay (The Killing): Eh, what's the difference?

7. Hildy Johnson (His Girl Friday): Walter, you're wonderful, in a loathsome sort of way.

8. Charles Foster Kane (Citizen Kane): You know, Mr. Bernstein, if I hadn't been very rich, I might have been a really great man.

9. Hank Quinlan (Touch of Evil): That wasn't no miss, Vargas. That was just to turn you 'round, so I don't have to shoot you in the back. Unless you'd rather run for it.

10. Morgan Morgan (Minnie and Moskowitz): Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Hope this works! In particular order (I just didn't want three Wayne's in a row)

1) Ethan Edwards- The Searchers:

"What do you want me to do? Draw you a picture? Spell it out? Don't ever ask me! Long as you live, don't ever ask me more." (closest photo I could find for the scene)

2) Atticus Finch- To Kill a Mockingbird:

"Miss Jean Louise, Mr. Arthur Radley. I believe he already knows you." (closest photo I could find)

3) Tom Doniphon- The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance:

"You talk too much, think too much. Besides, YOU didn't kill Liberty Valance. "

4. Walker- Point Blank:

"I want my money. I want my $93,000."

5. Michael Corleone- The Godfather II:

"Fredo, you're nothing to me now. You're not a brother, you're not a friend. I don't want to know you or what you do. I don't want to see you at the hotels, I don't want you near my house. When you see our mother, I want to know a day in advance, so I won't be there. You understand? "

6. Jack Vincennes- LA Confidential:

"She is Lana Turner.

7. Nathaniel/Hawkeye- Last of the Mohicans:

"No, you submit, do you hear? You be strong, you survive... You stay alive, no matter what occurs! I will find you. No matter how long it takes, no matter how far, I will find you."

8. Mrs. McKlennar- Drums Along the Mohawk:

"Your thoughts are your own property, Martin, but keep them to yourself."

9. Captain Nathan Brittles- She Wore a Yellow Ribbon:

"To Capt. Brittles from C Troop. Lest we forget."

10. MacChesney- Gunga Din:

"You ain't so stupid as you look."

Runners-Up:

11. Panama Smith- The Roaring Twenties

"He used to be a big shot."

12. Gil Carter- The Ox-Bow Incident

"Hangin' is any man's business that's around."

13. Nora Prentiss- Nora Prentiss

"A paper? I could write a book! "

14. Esther Blodgett- A Star is Born

"This is Mrs. Norman Maine."

15. Steve Judd- Ride the High Country

"I just want to enter my house justified ."
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

This require some thought although I'll go along with Jimmy Monkley Moira :wink:
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

charliechaplinfan wrote:This require some thought although I'll go along with Jimmy Monkley Moira :wink:
Who wouldn't go along with Jimmy Monkley!?

I love the fact that ChiO and I chose different characters from the same movie and Lynn picked Edna May Oliver and Gladys George characters too. This is fun, though it does take a little time to think about. No need to keep it to ten characters. If you think of fewer or more, why not share them?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
charliechaplinfan

Nancy Oliver played by Angela Lansbury in Gaslight

Nancy:Gonna work on your tunes again tonight, sir? You're always working, aren't you?
Gregory Anton: Yes. What are you doing with your evening out?
Nancy Oliver: Oh, I'm going to a music hall...
[starts to sing 'Up in a balloon']
Gregory Anton: I've never been to an English music hall.
Nancy Oliver: Oh, you don't know what you've missed, sir...
Gregory Anton: And whom are you going to the music hall with?
Nancy Oliver: A gentleman friend, sir.
Gregory Anton: Oh, now you know, Nancy, don't you, that gentlemen friends are sometimes inclined to take liberties with young ladies.
Nancy Oliver: Oh no, sir, not with me. I can take care of myself - when I want to.
Gregory Anton: You know, Nancy, it strikes me that you're not at all the kind of girl that your mistress should have for a housemaid.
Nancy Oliver: [flirtatiously] No, sir? She's not the only one in the house - is she?

Cluny Brown played by Jennifer Jones to Adam Bellinski - Charles Boyer

(caught outside Bellinski's room late at night, being overheard by two servants)

Cluny Brown: Oh, Mr Bellinski, when I unloosen the joint I just love banging away'
she's talking plumbing.
Last edited by charliechaplinfan on February 14th, 2011, 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
charliechaplinfan

Later on, after making a pact never to fall for Mr Bellinski, much to Mr Bellinski's dismay

Cluny tells Bellinski that she dreamt of him.
Bellinski - 'Cluny you did?'
Cluny - You were riding an Arabian stallion and you swept me up off my feet and carried me to your tent'
Bellinski ' I did?' What did you do'
Cluny -' I kicked myself, just like we said'
Bellinski looking downcast
Cluny - ' do you wish I'd gone with you to your tent?'
Bellinski, resigningly - 'No Cluny, you did the right thing'

The Lady Killers - Mrs Louisa Wilberforce played by Katie Johnson.
so many quotes to chose from but here's one of the best. I've been laughing aloud as I've read through them all on the imdb.

Mrs Louisa Wilberforce [pacing] Oh, oh dear, oh dear. Poor Mr. Robinson.
[She knocks again; the music stops and Claude opens the door]
Mrs. Louisa Wilberforce: I'm so sorry, Major Courtney, but I'm afraid General Gordon has bitten Mr. Robinson's finger. Now he's on the top of the cabinet and refuses to come down.
Louis: Mr. Robinson is on top of the cabinet?
Mrs. Louisa Wilberforce: Oh, no Mr. Harvey. General Gordon. Mr. Lawson, you're the tallest. Do you think you could try to get him down for us?
One-Round: Sure, I'll get 'im, mum
[he starts down the stairs]
Mrs. Louisa Wilberforce: Oh, I feel I'm being such a bother.
Louis: How could you possibly think a thing like that?
Mrs. Louisa Wilberforce: Oh, you *are* kind.
Last edited by charliechaplinfan on February 14th, 2011, 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
charliechaplinfan

Willie Mossop - Hobson's Choice played by John Mills

By gum.

Laura Jesson - Brief Encounter played by Celia Johnson

This can't last. This misery can't last. I must remember that and try to control myself. Nothing lasts really. Neither happiness nor despair. Not even life lasts very long. There'll come a time in the future when I shan't mind about this anymore, when I can look back and say quite peacefully and cheerfully how silly I was. No, no, I don't want that time to come ever. I want to remember every minute, always, always to the end of my days.

Pepe Le Moko - Algiers played by Charles Boyer
Gaby:It's late. I must go.
Pepe le Moko: Suppose you don't come tomorrow?
Gaby: Suppose I don't? Can't you ever get away from the Casbah?
Pepe le Moko: Why do you ask?
Gaby: Can't you?
Pepe le Moko: No. I'm caught here, like a bear in a hole. Dogs barking, hunters all around, no way out of it. Do you like that? Maybe it's lucky for you.
Gaby: I don't like it. And it's not lucky.
Pepe le Moko: You're right. If you don't come back, I might do anything. I might go down to your hotel to get you.
Gaby: Tomorrow, Pepe.
Pepe le Moko: Tomorrow?
Gaby: I never break a promise
Last edited by charliechaplinfan on February 14th, 2011, 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
charliechaplinfan

Roslyn - The Misfits played by Marilyn Monroe

[to Perce] Didn't anyone ever cry for you before?

Vic Brown - A Kind of Loving played by Alan Bates

Mrs Rothwell: How dare you do this to my daughter!
Vic: I did good for your daughter! I married her!
Mrs. Rothwell: Yes! After you seduced her!
Vic: It would have been me or someone else, sooner or later.

Dr David Huxley - Bringing Up Baby played by Cary Grant

When a man is wrestling a leopard in the middle of a pond, he's in no position to run.

[exasperated and wearing Susan's negligee] I'm standing in the middle of 42nd Street waiting for a bus!

[Susan Vance - Bringing Up Baby played by Katharine Hepburn [/b]

"He's three years old, gentle as a kitten, and likes dogs." I wonder whether Mark means that he eats dogs or is fond of them?

There *is* a leopard on your roof and it's my leopard and I have to get it and to get it I have to sing

Together

David Huxley: You don't understand: this is *my* car!
Susan Vance: Your golf ball, your running board, your car? Is there anything in the world that doesn't belong to you?
David Huxley: Yes, thank heavens, YOU!
Last edited by charliechaplinfan on February 14th, 2011, 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
charliechaplinfan

moirafinnie wrote:
charliechaplinfan wrote:This require some thought although I'll go along with Jimmy Monkley Moira :wink:
Who wouldn't go along with Jimmy Monkley!?
Seeing as you'd gone for him, I included other Dr David Huxley instead. Jimmy Monkley is my honorary 11th.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Molly, from My Man Godfrey:

Detective: So you got a passion for jewelry, huh?
Molly: Yeah... I got a passion for socking cops.
Detective: WHERE ARE THEY?
Molly: Most of them are in cemeteries.