Joel and Frances McCrea Ranch Foundation

moira finnie
Administrator

Joel and Frances McCrea Ranch Foundation

Post by moira finnie »

I'm not sure where to put this, but as many of you know, there have been plans afoot to open the former homestead of Joel McCrea and Frances Dee's ranch in the Santa Rosa Valley in California to the public for some time. New steps are being taken to make the opening of the ranch to the public closer to a reality. In the meantime, you might want to check the links below occasionally to see the latest progress being made there.

The McCrea Ranch Foundation, with images and info about the time when Joel McCrea and Frances Dee lived on the land with their family can be seen here.

A photo gallery of the ranch, featuring the McCreas' grandson Wyatt, is here.

And more ranch history, including some beautiful old black and white photos, is here.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Re: Joel and Frances McCrea Ranch Foundation

Post by MissGoddess »

Oh my goodness, I can't WAIT to look all this over in depth...THANK YOU, Moira. I would love to visit this place.

How adorable they named the grandson WYATT. :D
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

This is incredible. I'm glad that some old buildings are being restored and registered as National Historical Landmarks and Places. Thanks for posting this Moria and I'm believer in keeping these places as it is so that future generations can look back and see what the past is all about - its doesn't matter what the subject matter is - is the past that defines us ... and looking at the three articles that you post - I wanted to stay thank you for putting a great deal in effort into this and this is great.

To me, as a lover of history - we need to save as much history as possible so that our children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, and great-great grandchildren can learn what the past was really like. Moria - this is great stuff you shared with us today! :)
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Oh Moira, how can I ever thank you. I had heard about the preservation work of the McCrea Ranch but had no idea it was so extensive. And to learn that his grandson Wyatt has taken up the mantle of preserving not only the ranch but his grandparents' legacies as well is icing on the cake!

This Joel McCrea fanatic says thank you! A thousand times over!!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

The Visitor's Center at the McCrea Ranch has been completed and will be open to the public on Nov. 5th.

Joel and Frances' grandson, Wyatt, has been instrumental in preserving the ranch and his grandparent's legacy.

http://www.vcstar.com/news/2011/sep/09/ ... completed/
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese