Bond, James Bond

CineMaven

Re: Bond, James Bond

Post by CineMaven »

Good. I hope you check it out...and then let us know wha'cha think.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Libby and I were out last night so Chris treated Joe and took him to see Skyfall, he was so engrossed with the movie he's bitten his thumb and made it bleed. For a 7 year old who is obsessed with cars it seems he's now obsessed with James Bond too, he keeps jumping out from behind things pretending he's Bond whilst humming the theme tune. I do have some of the Connery Bonds stashed somewhere and 2 of the Moore Bonds, I wonder if these will suffice. Daniel Craig is of course the best Bond ever, ever, ever although I've told him that it's not a judgement he can make until he's seen the other ones.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Mrs. ChiO and I went to a local cineplex yesterday to see the 7pm showing of LINCOLN, Abe Lincoln. Sold-out. Next show, 9:45pm. Fifteen minutes past our bedtime. What to do? SKYFALL, sez I. Okay, sez she.

Apparently the movie being shown on the East Coast is quite different than the one being shown on the Middle Coast because we certainly didn't see a good-time movie. Oh, the Macao sequence is enjoyable...except for the godawful telegraphing of its ending by the beginning, which wasn't creative enough to warrant the telegraphing. Plus the fireworks. Puh-leeze. The preceding Shanghai sequence is spectacular...for about 30 seconds, then it's just more of the same. The dialogue on Silva's island may have been the highlight of the movie. And Scotland -- with Albert Finney -- looked nice...when things weren't burning or exploding.

Battle between the Old Ways and the New Ways? Yep (bludgeoned with that to a point where I wanted to re-view the credits for Stanley Kramer's name). And Silva's character, wherein was the germ of a wonderful idea ("Revenge for having been abandoned and forced to die" vs. "Revenge for having survived"), had to give way to action.

MM'57 got it right that it's more Action movie than Spy movie. Fighting on top of a train? Look out for the tunnel...gasp! Chase through the Grand Bazaar. Chase through London. And explosion...Explosion...EXPLOSION.

Nope. We didn't care for it.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u]ChiO[/u] wrote:Apparently the movie being shown on the East Coast is quite different than the one being shown on the Middle Coast because we certainly didn't see a good-time movie...
HA!!!!! :lol:

Same movie...different tastes. On the face of it, by the letter of the law, there might be something in what you say. But my spirit felt something different. I didn't bite my thumb like little Joe, but I am jumping from behind my sofa and bed shooting at imaginary villains & yelling at Silva to take off that blonde wig.

Sorry you and the Missus didn't have a good time.

charliechaplinfan

My only problem is that I couldn't go because I'd a long standing engagement so the guys had a boy's night and Joe can't keep the plot to himself, I think he's so excited I hope they want to go again.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Albert Finney's in it? Why didn't anyone mention this? I think he's done some of his best work in the last few years, completely unsung as a mature character actor.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

JackFavell wrote:Albert Finney's in it? Why didn't anyone mention this? I think he's done some of his best work in the last few years, completely unsung as a mature character actor.
Yes, and he's splendid...he and Judi Dench really bring a lot to the second act. It's a cast of real actors, not just the types you see in 007 movies and never anywhere else again.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Thanks Miss G! That's wonderful! I hope he's not a baddie, though he makes such a good one. :D
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

JackFavell wrote:Thanks Miss G! That's wonderful! I hope he's not a baddie, though he makes such a good one. :D

i don't want to say more because I want it to be fresh when you see it.
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Thanks, I'd rather not know, even if I do ask the rhetorical question.... I'm a big fan of knowing nothing going in. :D
charliechaplinfan

Unfortunately my son has a big mouth and has spilled some secrets, he would make a rubbish reviewer.

He pestered so much that I got out some of our Bond films, he chose Goldeneye, he didn't recognise Pierce Brosnan from Mamma Mia, a film that Joe must hold the record on the number of viewings on but he watched it for an hour and hen gave up on it. To be fair, it did look dated and there are too many girls in it, I don't think Skyfall has too much hanky panky in it, Joe doesn't want girls in the movie, they're rubbish, he wants action and cars.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I didn't bite my thumb like little Joe

Did Hoss and Adam like it? This won't help you, Allison, but here in the states, there are some five dollar copies circulating. Connery, Moore, even THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS. K-Mart sells a lot of terrible crap. But they have some good Bond films. What was it Dustin Hoffman said in RAIN MAN? "K-mart sucks!"
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Good God man...don't mix your genres. We're talking M.I.-6. NOT the Ponderosa. :P

CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Here is a three-minute interview with Daniel Craig, Javier Bardem and Judi Dench on the Graham Norton Show:

[youtube][/youtube]

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

ha! everyone seems to agree about the hair.
-- Will Rogers