Bond, James Bond

RedRiver

Re: Bond, James Bond

Post by RedRiver »

Wayne Newton a bad guy? What? They couldn't get Bobby Vee? Dalton would have been fine as Bond, had not Connery done it first. He's cold, flinty, roughly handsome. I like the first half of this movie. It moves well. Establishes conflict and suspense. Then...no more story. Like so many action films, it's a one hour story in a two hour movie! THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS is much better.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I like "The Living Daylights" better as well. I also agree with you about "Licence To Kill." When they get around to the religious hideaway it loses its way. A pretty exciting truck chase but the last quarter of the film is a bit out there.

It's too bad Dalton didn't get to do another one.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

There's stuff all over the net about Bond. Someone told me today is 007 Day. Going back through the thread there are a couple of things we have barely touched on. So,

What is you favorite Bond girl?

Favorite Bond song?

Favorite Bond scene or moment?
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

007 Day? Just a wild guess. I wonder if this is the date of the release of DR. NO. Favorite Bond girl? Who compares to Diana Rigg? He married her. I would too! Lovely, talented, sexy and oh, so playful! If there's a "Non-Diana" category, I like Daniella Bianchi, the defector in FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE. She has a little necklace she never takes off. Not even when...

Song? There are two I like a lot. "From Russia," as sung by Matt Monroe (the first Bond theme song.) But I believe my favorite is the haunting, almost mystical "You Only Live Twice," made all the more appealing by the vocal by Nancy Sinatra.

And now the big one. Favorite scene! Some runners up include the fatal confrontation with Odd-Job at Fort Knox, any number of adorable endings ("This is no time to be rescued."), the format establishing opening of GOLDFINGER, as Bond polishes off some action packed business that has nothing to do with the story. But the best scene in all of Bondom is the fist fight with Robert Shaw on the train in "From Russia." So close quartered it's intense and chaotic, bashing and crashing everything in the compartment. It's the single best action scene in film history, and a brilliant piece of filmmaking!

Good work, 007!
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I like Daniella and Diana, as well as Ursula in Dr. No.

I love most of the songs, even if I didn't care for the movies. My favorites are "From Russia With Love", "Thunderball", "Goldfinger" (who can evoke Bond better than Shirley Bassey?), "You Only Live Twice", "Diamonds Are Forever", "The Spy Who Loved Me", and even Satchmo's "We Have All The Time in the World" from On Her Majesty's Secret Service.

favorite scene? it's hard to pick but i'm with red that the scenes in the train are great, as are the scenes with Pedro Armendariz in Russia.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

<< ( SIgh! ) >> Love your avatar of Sean Connery, Miss Goddess.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I know I am appreciating your avatar too, it makes me want to come to the SSO more, if that's possible. :D
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

if it makes you both come all the more, then all the better. never let it be said james ever could have too much feminine attention! :D
-- Will Rogers
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Connery was the best Bond, followed by Timothy Dalton, Daniel Craig is OK, hubby would have that he's the best, I don't agree. I only wish that Connery was a likeable chap, I find it hard to seperate the actor from the man, even if I can appreciate April's avatar. He was handsome as Bond but he didn't hold his looks for long.

I don't know who I'd rate as the best Bond girl, probably Honor Blackman but I like the girl in You Only Live Twice too.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I am sitting in MoMA right now. "FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE" just ended and "GOLDFINGER" will start shortly. Yes, Miss G., that avatar is beckoning...
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

oh wow, i should have gone!
-- Will Rogers
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I've seen the first two 007 films three times in theatres. Countless times on TV and video! There is nothing like the thrill when the opening credits begin! Matt Helm couldn't even begin to copy.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

The only one I've seen on the big screen was The Spy Who Loved Me, and it was on a blind date for a friend of mine. Not a good plan, I lost the friend because I didn't like the guy.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

i think i saw dr. no at the film forum once, but i honestly can't be sure. other than that, i've only seen five or six of the ones made since the 1980s in theaters.

i agree that the opening themes are just...soooo "movie movie"!! it's what it's all about! i know maven is having a time.
-- Will Rogers
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I've only seen the Daniel Craig movies on the big screen and that's cos hubby's a fan.

The 50 year anniversary of Bond coincides with the 50th anniversary of the Beatles first release, 2 icons that dominated the 60s and the world for the next 50 years launched on the same day. It's quite incredible.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin