Bridge on the River Kwai

pvitari

Bridge on the River Kwai

Post by pvitari »

I searched for a Bridge on the River Kwai thread but couldn't find one.

Anyway, this about the restoration of BOTRK which will be coming out on Blu-ray (although no official announcement yet):

http://www.elpasotimes.com/news/ci_15705443?source=rss

Fascinating info especially about the aspect ratio.

I wonder if this will be one of the films programmed for the second TCM Classic Film Festival. :)
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: Bridge on the River Kwai

Post by movieman1957 »

I love introducing films to friends. On the basis that about 30 seconds of this film was shown in the most recent "Jesse Stone" picture some friends wanted to see it. What a treat.

Through the last ten minutes my friend Jan is yelling at Guinness "You idiot!" as he tires to stop it all. But she and her husband were struck my how much everything changed. How the positions of Nicholson and Saito changed. Ironic was how Saito got what he wanted but it all came without his input and how Nicholson came round to what was demanded originally.

My friends were novice enough that William Holden was new to them. I think "The Guns Of Navarone" can't be far behind.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That's super, movieman! I'm sure you told them that the movie only gets better and MORE suspenseful with time - watching Nicholson's foolhardy attempts to find the wire still makes me want to scream... it's that well done and tense that you still can't believe how it all hinges on him - an absolutely riveting performance by Guinness. It's brilliant how you say that he and Saito trade places - I never thought of it. One could also say the same of Nicholson and Shears at the moment when they are at the water's edge - in an instant, they are almost completely reversed.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

This is one of my favorite war related movies that I like to watch ... it's has great writing and action.