The Lost Patrol - A Western in Mesopotamia

ken123

The Lost Patrol - A Western in Mesopotamia

Post by ken123 »

John Ford's Lost Patrol may, to some, seem to be old hat, but I love it, especially the scenes with Douglas Walton pouring his heart out to Victor McLaglen. Superior to it unofficial remake Bataan, but not as good, IMHO, as the similiar Sahara starring Bogart, with J. Carroll Naish unforgettable. :wink:
nightwalker

Post by nightwalker »

I agree that this is an excelllent film.

It makes good use of what may by now be the overly familiar plot device of introducing an appealing (in the sense of interesting) cast of characters, placing them in a remote and dangerous locale and then eliminating them one by one. In addition to the other examples you cited (BATAAN and SAHARA), this device can be seen in the various incarnations of AND THEN THERE WERE NONE and LAST OF THE COMANCHES (1953) as well.

Also worth noting is Boris Karloff's performance as the religious fanatic, Sanders. If you only know Karloff from his horror films, his portrayal here of the increasingly insane trooper will come as a real eye-opener.

It was released last year as part of the John Ford Film Collection box set.
ken123

Re: The Lost Patrol - A Western in Mesopotamia

Post by ken123 »

Vics best ?
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Ken:

You should check the "John Ford" thread as we have been having a pretty thorough discussion. Would like to hear your thoughts.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
ken123

Post by ken123 »

movieman1957 wrote:Ken:

You should check the "John Ford" thread as we have been having a pretty thorough discussion. Would like to hear your thoughts.
:D
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I can see why some might see this as akin to the Western. I also see it as related to the horror film, not the horror films of the Thirties but of the "Friday the 13th" vintage. (And isn't it odd to think of John Ford in connection with the slasher film?)