COMANCHE MOON

mrsl

COMANCHE MOON

Post by mrsl »

I missed the first 2 hour section of this mini-series on Sunday night, but by watching part 2, I think I'm pretty well caught up. Now I realize this is for classic movies, but this is not really a review or my opinion of this movie as in the usual sense, this is an extension of some of the things that trouble me about today's film-making.

There we are at 8:00 at night and the first scene is an Indian attack on the town of Austin, TX, but this isn't just shooting and arrows, and fire. Luckily we get to see a scalping about 5 minutes into the movie, we get to see blood spurting from wounds all over the place, and a woman raped - all the essentials for an exciting first 15 minutes of a MADE FOR TV movie on CBS - Yes, CBS the network on my channel 2. Does anybody else object to this on network TV? or am I the only old prude watching?

OK, I'm a western fan, and I fully realize that things got pretty hairy out on the frontier at times, but that doesn't mean I expect it here in my living room in the year 2008, at least not on a network show. I may expect it from a rented movie, or a cable channel, but there should be SOMEWHERE on TV where I can be assured of not loosing my lunch by watching. I dread the thought of 8 and 9 years olds, not quite ready for bed yet, seeing that from the doorway, while waiting for Mom to tuck them in.

For this type of thing, I Want some kind of censor!

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I knew it was coming but I didn't know it was this week. It's a bloodier time. Everything is more so. My wife and I are watching TV last night and even after a couple of promos she asked "Does everything have to be about sex?" It's the same thing, if people enjoy this kind of movie then more must be better. No, not really.

I have a copy of "Buffalo Girls" to watch this week. This is also a Larry McMurtry movie. It stars Anjelica Huston (Calamity Jane), Sam Elliott (Wild Bill Hickock) and Jack Palance. I saw it years ago and I don't remember there being a lot of violence. It was done in '95 so it probably couldn't be that bad. I enjoy any western with Sam Elliott.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I haven't watched much of anything on Network television in a long time and from what I hear it is not any measurable improvement on cable when it comes to objectionable content. In some ways, it's much more coarse because it seems to pander to a lowest common denominator---and that's just for the commercials!

I'm thinking maybe Commanche Moon was taking its gory cue from the bloodbath that was the pitiful remake of 3:10 to Yuma.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Anne,

I caught the opening of Comanche Moon last evening as well. I turned to Mr Cutter at one point and went "can we cut away from all this violence, we got the message" but the scene went on. Much too long and because of that we opted not to watch the rest of the movie.

I wish filmmakers would learn that a scene doesn't have to be overly long or violent to make the point.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

I didn't see the movie, but I do think that network tv has gotten too vulgar. Too much swearing, too much sex and violence on at early hours. I watch plenty of films and tv with sex and violence, but I am an adult. I don't think that a kid should be watching that stuff.

I guess there's always the Disney channel for kids.

Sandy K
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: COMANCHE MOON

Post by movieman1957 »

I finally watched this miniseries this week. It really didn't strike me as that gory. There was one part where someone was being tortured but somehow it didn't quite seem believable to me.

Directed by Simon Wincer, who did Lonesome Dove this is the prequel to the same. The two leads play younger versions of Woodrow Call & Gus McRae. At first it seems they are doing impressions of Tommy Lee Jones and Robert Duvall and that feels a bit odd at first. But they settle into the parts well. Plenty of action and the careful working of the storyline that will fall into place for the following renowned film to follow.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS

One thing you never really get a good handle on is why "Call" never acknowledges Newt is his son. He does wonder if Newt is really his because of Maggie's profession but for one who always wants to do the right thing in everything else he really balks at this part. Fear is the only thing I can think of.

Val Kilmer turns in another crazy performance. Playing a well skilled and experienced soldier he is able to outlast one who has captured him and is rescued. Good performances all around. A much bigger Indian story is involved. A lot of reading to be done as the Comanches dialog is subtitled. Lots of other secondary story lines going on to make it all fit.

With four mini series in the lot it would make for an interesting month if you could get through them all.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."