Gunsmoke or Bonanza...discuss

moira finnie
Administrator

Re: Gunsmoke or Bonanza...discuss

Post by moira finnie »

MissGoddess wrote:He made me smile as the Yonder Man but he was not a miscreant. I kind of admired his free character, though he was certainly undomesticated. :D
I will be watching the Bonanza epi tomorrow night. From your description it sounds as though Vernon finally got to break out of his streak of bad guy roles in this show.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Watched an episode of "Combat" today that used the set of the Dodge House from "Gunsmoke." It double as an orphanage in England. (Interiors only.)
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
mrsl

Ooopps.

Post by mrsl »

I love to look for oops in movies and TV shows, especially after I've seen a particular show more than once. Last week I saw two outstanding oops and both were in episodes of Gunsmoke.

The first occurred when Matt and Chester were riding on the open prairie towards the camera, in a long distance shot, when to the left of them, farther back, a flash of light appeared, the kind that you see when holding a mirror or other piece of glass to the sun.

In the next day's episode, Matt was being held hostage by some bank robbers and they were riding in a wagon towards the Mexican border. Matt had his hands tied behind his back and as they rode along, again toward the camera, they were to come to a stop. As the wagon stopped, you saw James Arness' hand holding on to keep his balance but the immediate, next scene showed him again sitting with his hands tied behind his back.

Both of these were so quick, I rewound two times to see if I had really seen it, and there they were.

Usually it's a wrong horse, or a different colored hat or some other obvious thing, but these were so quick, they were like tricks of the eye.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I was never a great big fan of Bonanza, but I did like it in most cases. I don't particularly care for any weekly show Western or contemporary that puts the hero or heroes in dangerous situations because you know darn well they've already filmed next weeks show. Even today it's rare for a main character to get killed unless its the season finale. But lately, since I've seen every episode of Gunsmoke, Marshall Dillon, and Laramie, at least three times each. I have recently started to re-watch Bonanza. The ones being shown now are the ones done since Adam left and he is rarely mentioned. I never knew that Ben legally adopted Jamie (Mitch Vogel), and now suddenly, the opening scene of the three men riding their horses towards the camera has changed to only Ben and Joe, so I checked the original showing date which was October, 1972, and then checked when Dan Blocker died (May, 1972). They also added "and co-starring Mitch Vogel and David Canary", in the opening credits. But that was also confusing to me because I recall Canary being on the show almost regularly quite a few years earlier.

In any case I don't think I gave the show enough credit because except for the episodes with family members in crisis, most episode were about other families and general caring and love of all humanity. They often covered race, sexuality, religion and political bent. I'm learning to appreciate it more now, maybe because I'm older and can appreciate its worth in a better way.
Anne

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I recall Canary being on the show almost regularly quite a few years earlier.

"I'm called Candy. For candidate. I was born on Election Day."
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I'm reviving this old, old thread because I happened to be watching a Bonanza episode today and realized how very fickle I must be. When the show started in 1959, I was still a starry eyed teenager and naturally thought the sun rose and set with Little Joe, but by the second season, I admired Adam's calm, quiet demeanor much more more. After Adam left, I watched for a while longer but didn't have much time between school, graduation and getting married, so I find most of the episodes are new to me, however, in the years that have passed and having gone through 2 husbands, and raised 4 people to maturity (?), now in my later years I find myself becoming attracted to good, thoughtful, courtly Pa Ben Cartwright. I recall thinking at one time long ago; 'how can such an old man still be acting?' Ha, ha, the joke's definitely on me : lol: :? Right now, that white wavy hair looks mighty good to me.

Maybe that's why I like Gunsmoke and some other series so much. I've watched Jim Arness mature from a very young handsome Marshall Dillon, to the head of the Family Mcmahon, along with his movie roles, and now can appreciate an older man whom I've been seeing all my life. This of course is in direct agreement with my Golden Age actors who I also watched as they aged like fine wine. :wink:
Anne

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That's too funny, Anne! I haven't really had that happen with Bonanza, but I do find myself watching some of our classic films and thinking the same thing about actors who aren't the leading man, but instead, the leading man's father! Charlie Ruggles aged pretty darn gracefully, and I think he'd be a fun date! And there's my favorite older actor, who was probably around my age when he was playing all those dads - Henry O'Neill. So elegant. And Joan Crawford, despite her eyebrows that everyone (including me) made fun of, looked damn good in those movies from the 50's and 60's! She gets younger every time I see her. :wink:

As far as Bonanza is concerned, I think Adam is the cutie, but I also happen to like Hoss an awful lot. He's got a sweet nature and pretty eyes. :D
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Hoss is the heart of the show but I see how many go for Adam. He is well read, articulate, thoughtful and patient. Little Joe was not patient. He was fun and loyal and determined.
Chris

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I ....don't like Little Joe. :oops:

But I'm not a huge Bonanza fan, so you can kick me out of the thread if you want. :D
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

You like one of them and that is fine. (It'd be fine if you didn't like any of them - a little weird but fine.) :)
Chris

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

He's kind of like those hothead boys in the later Wayne westerns. I don't dislike him, but I'm not really watching for him.

My favorite episode so far (besides Top Hand with Ben Johnson which doesn't have a lot to do with the Bonanza cast anyway) is the one with Inger Stevens, where Hoss falls for her.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

What an odd but sweet pairing Hoss and the lovely Miss Stevens made. That was a good episode. I think I enjoy the stories set on Hoss best of the early shows. His character does make a good contrast with his brothers.
Chris

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I agree.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Inger was on "Bonanza"???! What?! I can't believe I have missed that one! Is it on YouTube? Does anyone recollect the episode title? I love Inger AND Hoss and would love to see this one....
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

It was called The Newcomers, and it's here. I saw it on Antenna or MeTv or some channel one day and stopped because I love Inger, too. I think you'll like it very much, MissG.

[youtube][/youtube]