Westerns

feaito

Re: Westerns

Post by feaito »

Of her Silents I have seen only "A Kiss for Cinderella" (1925). I have seen Lubitsch's "The Marriage Circle" (1924), but I did only remember Marie Prevost and Florence Vidor being in it. Thanks for bringing it up WEN. Now I've realized I've seen two of her Silents. Would love to see "Children of Divorce" (1927).
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Me too, fer! I've been wanting to see that one forever it seems.

In The Marriage Circle she plays the girl at the party who comes in and ends up being seated next to Monte Blue, because of the switched placecards. The one who his wife mistakenly thinks is his paramour and who Monte keeps going back to, to get away from Marie Prevost so his wife won't be suspicious. All the time making his wife MORE suspicious of poor Esther, who hasn't got a clue.
feaito

Post by feaito »

I recall that scene WEN...Thanks for the description. I did not remember that She was that woman.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Any time fer! I just find esther amazing, because in TO THE LAST MAN, she looks so young, as if she were just starting out in Hollywood, not a trouper of 7 or 8 years already. She's as fresh as a daisy.
feaito

Post by feaito »

JackFavell wrote:Any time fer! I just find esther amazing, because in TO THE LAST MAN, she looks so young, as if she were just starting out in Hollywood, not a trouper of 7 or 8 years already. She's as fresh as a daisy.
Indeed, that's why I felt she was wasted during the Talkies. She could have been much bigger! She looked younger and fresher than other big stars from that Era.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Pretty Lady!
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
feaito

Post by feaito »

Truly, one of Hollywood's all-time greatest beauties!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I remember Horton's short-lived western series, A MAN CALLED SHENANDOAH. After that, we didn't hear much from the former Flint McCullough.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Royal Dano AND Harry Dean Stanton? Sounds great.

I've always liked Diane Baker.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Harry Dean Stanton? Gene Siskel's favorite actor!
feaito

Post by feaito »

Yesterday I saw a Western that impressed me favorably due to its unusual approach and plot: George Marshall's "The Savage" (1952). In it Charlton Heston impersonates a white guy raised by the Chief of a Soiux tribe, after his father and other white people are slain by indians of the "Crow?" Tribe (which are in war with the Sioux). Since he was 10 or perhaps 12 years old when he was adopted by the indians and still has memories of his dad and previous life, at a certain point Heston is torn between "the pigment of his skin" and his love for his adoptive family (mother and sister included). I found this film most interesting, because of the absence of the stereotypical approach to Indians and the relations with whites. Filmed on location (in South Dakota?). Very worthwhile indeed.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Wow! How do I not know of this movie? As a kid, I watched westerns all the time. Mr. Heston was a favorite. (Brash, rugged, colorful.) I probably would have loved this!
feaito

Post by feaito »

Hi Red River, April said pretty much the same to me on FB, where I posted a clip. It has some good reviews on imdb.com. It's being aired by Moviecity Classics here in Latin America. It's a Paramount movie.
feaito

Post by feaito »

On the WE I saw an interesting "South American" Western set in the Argentinian Pampas: "Way of a Gaucho" (1952), a Fox film directed by Jacques Tourneur in Technicolor. Rory Calhoun (Martín) is a Gaucho who grew up in a Estancia (a Ranch) raised as a son by its deceased owner. The owner was also a Gaucho, but his biological son (Hugh Marlowe) -who grew up with Rory as a brother- has been educated in the city and is thus, "civilized" and does not share his late father's and Martin's Gaucho ideals and ways of looking at life. Martín is quite a rebellious, independent character and ends drafted in the Army, where a stern officer (Richard Boone, very good) tries to straighten him. An unusual film filmed on location in Argentina (a country that borders with mine, Chile) with some beautiful sequences of the Pampas and the Andes mountains. Gene Tierney plays a society lady who falls in love with Martín and she looks ravishingly beautiful.