Westerns

ChiO

Re: Westerns

Post by ChiO »

WAY OF THE GAUCHO is an interesting -- and certainly beautiful -- movie even if not equal to Tourneur's CANYON PASSAGE (1946), WICHITA (1955) and GREAT DAY IN THE MORNING (1956).

Apparently Henry King was Fox's first choice for director, but his wife was ill and he didn't want to spend the time in Argentina. Why film in Argentina? Peron had frozen Fox's profits, so filming there was the way to avoid losing them.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
feaito

Post by feaito »

ChiO wrote:WAY OF THE GAUCHO is an interesting -- and certainly beautiful -- movie even if not equal to Tourneur's CANYON PASSAGE (1946), WICHITA (1955) and GREAT DAY IN THE MORNING (1956).

Apparently Henry King was Fox's first choice for director, but his wife was ill and he didn't want to spend the time in Argentina. Why film in Argentina? Peron had frozen Fox's profits, so filming there was the way to avoid losing them.
Hi Owen, this film has an eerie, ethereal, kind of religious quality that reminded me in a way of John Ford's "The Fugitive" (1947), with Gene Tierney looking in some shots like a Madonna. I read that while filming the movie on location Eva Perón (First Lady of the country) died and the production crew was held to film her funeral in Technicolor...how odd.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

I read that while filming the movie on location Eva Perón (First Lady of the country) died and the production crew was held to film her funeral in Technicolor...how odd.
Probably not (if Chris Fujiwara's book on Tourneur is to be trusted).

Production on the film was October 1951-March 1952, with the latter part of that time spent shooting some additional studio and location scenes in California (directed by Henry Levin, not Tourneur).

Eva Perón died on July 26, 1952.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Now a Jacques Tourneur film I don't know? I need to pay more attention! I haven't seen WICHITA either. But at least, I'm aware of it. It's high on my list of "must sees." Do I expect it to be the best movie ever? No. But at this stage in my movie watching experience, things make THE LIST for eclectic reasons. I like the director. Interesting subject. Based on a certain book. THE CRIMINAL CODE tops the list. Hawks, Karloff, I enjoy prison drama. THE TATTERED DRESS is a Jack Arnold B feature that awaits my eventual viewing. Titles come up on this board all the time. But moments later, I forget them!

Who doesn't want to see DINOSAURUS? Big monsters and bad dialogue. What more can you want? I'm sure it's terrible. My hope is it's laughably so!
feaito

Post by feaito »

ChiO wrote:
I read that while filming the movie on location Eva Perón (First Lady of the country) died and the production crew was held to film her funeral in Technicolor...how odd.
Probably not (if Chris Fujiwara's book on Tourneur is to be trusted).

Production on the film was October 1951-March 1952, with the latter part of that time spent shooting some additional studio and location scenes in California (directed by Henry Levin, not Tourneur).

Eva Perón died on July 26, 1952.
Thanks for the clarification Owen. I think I read that on imdb.com, so we'll give credit to Fujiwara's book :wink:
feaito

Post by feaito »

RedRiver wrote:Now a Jacques Tourneur film I don't know? I need to pay more attention!
I am glad that you like Tourneur. I had this film recorded on my DVR, but I did not know it was a Tourneur movie.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

feaito wrote:On the WE I saw an interesting "South American" Western set in the Argentinian Pampas: "Way of a Gaucho" (1952), a Fox film directed by Jacques Tourneur in Technicolor. Rory Calhoun (Martín) is a Gaucho who grew up in a Estancia (a Ranch) raised as a son by its deceased owner. The owner was also a Gaucho, but his biological son (Hugh Marlowe) -who grew up with Rory as a brother- has been educated in the city and is thus, "civilized" and does not share his late father's and Martin's Gaucho ideals and ways of looking at life. Martín is quite a rebellious, independent character and ends drafted in the Army, where a stern officer (Richard Boone, very good) tries to straighten him. An unusual film filmed on location in Argentina (a country that borders with mine, Chile) with some beautiful sequences of the Pampas and the Andes mountains. Gene Tierney plays a society lady who falls in love with Martín and she looks ravishingly beautiful.
I have or had a link to this on YouTube and have been meaning to watch it as it's been all but unavailable here until recently. I forgot Boone was in it and that and Tierney are enough for me. That it actually has some location filming is a real plus.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
feaito

Post by feaito »

Be fast with YTB April: I had added some Bow Silents and early talkies to my favorites list -to watch soon- and "The Wild Party" (1929) has already been removed due to complaints of NBC Universal (which owns its rights).
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I know what you mean, it probably is already gone.
-- Will Rogers
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Hey, I've been listening to "THE HANGING TREE" which is on in the background. Gary Cooper sounds great, strong. Not an "aw shucks!" in his dialogue. I like him that way. :)
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Listening but not watching? He walks a fine line between being caring and domineering and I think it makes for one of his more complex roles.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

That's why THE HANGING TREE is one of my favorite Cooper performances and characters. :D
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I am going to watch the whole thing... I had it recorded for a long time, thanks to you, MissG, but never could get into the mood to watch... I've had it for so long, but because it was Mann, I was afraid to.... I really felt I had to be in the mood for a dark film. I came in on the last 45 minutes yesterday and was riveted! Wow, what a movie. I was surprised at how it was filmed, so open and bright. It obviously has dark themes, but I enjoyed every bit of it. I wasn't so sure about Maria Schell either, but she was terrific. I should have watched it long ago!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

It's not Mann but Delmar Daves.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Wow, I swear I read online that it was Mann. That'll teach me to trust the internets. :D