Westerns

Mr. Arkadin

Re: Westerns

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Canyon Passage is an amazing film. I remember I was painting our son's room when I ran back our bedroom to hit record and was so struck by the camerawork and colors I actually sat through the first 15 minutes of the film before I heard a voice yell "I don't hear any work going on back there!" :P
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

As a youngster, I was very impressesed with the star-studded WARLOCK. A more recent viewing left me less satisfied. One thing's for sure. It boasts one hell of a cast!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

High Noon has been a favorite of presidents as different as Eisenhower and Clinton

As well it should be. A great story has something for everybody.

I wonder if it didn’t influence another such cultural landmark, On the Waterfront

"Waterfront" is as allegorical in that regard as any movie I've seen. (With the exception of Arthur Miller's THE CRUCIBLE, of course!) Brando's character is asked to spy on people who resist the organization. Then he's subpoened to testify against the labor bosses. Then he's shunned by the good guys AND the baddies!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Great remarks on High Noon, kingrat. It's not an easy movie, with easy characters, or an easy story. It's difficult, just as the decisions such a situation requires are difficult.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

My favorite Boetticher Western and my favorite Randolph Scott Western and probably in my Top 5 of all Westerns.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

You can always tell what decade a western is made, by looking at the leading lady's hairstyle. I saw marcelles in 30's westerns, pompadours in the 40's and ponytails in the 50's. Lovin' Boetticher. He doesn't quite make it simple black hats and white hats. I must re-visit him.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Terrific movie and review, kingrat.

Lee Marvin can make sipping coffee seem immoral.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

If I were teaching a class on filmmaking, I might just begin by showing the opening scene of Seven Men from Now

I love when a movie inspires that reaction. I've felt that way a few times myself.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Lee Marvin can make sipping coffee seem immoral.

Especially if you're Gloria Grahame!
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

The teaming of Boetticher and Scott was undeniably as good as the team of Ford and Wayne. Although the former works with a smaller budget, he manages to get all of his information pertaining to the story across with little excess baggage. In 7 Men from Now, the scene on the rainy night when Marvin informs Gail Russell and her husband the back story of Scott and what happened between his wife and the guys he's after is so off the cuff that it's almost over before you realize he's giving YOU, the audience, all the info you need to understand the forced chase. But Boetticher does this with most of his movies, the back story is usually told as an anecdote around the campfire, or to calm a woman down. It's a truly subtle but masterful ploy.

It's a shame how many people are missing truly fine movie making by flatly stating they do not like Westerns. Some of Boetticher's movies may change their mind if the can see the fine nuances apparent in his work.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

people are missing truly fine movie making by flatly stating they do not like Westerns. Some of Boetticher's movies may change their mind

You're absolutely right, Anne. The same applies to the best of Henry King, Anthony Mann and that Irishman who made all those John Wayne movies!
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

The Far Country is on TCM...I just can't get enough of this movie. It was my first Anthony Mann western, and still my favorite...and among my top ten favorites of all time. I believe Man of the West to be a stronger film, creatively and dramatically, but I love the texture of frontier life to be found in The Far Country, as well as the assortment of characters, each deftly fleshed out and making me believe in them and the reality of their world. I also love the friendship between Jeff (Stewart) and Ben (Brennan), it's among the best and warmest on film. It is reminiscent of Stewart's "George Bailey" and his "Uncle Billy" (Thomas Mitchell) in Capra's It's a Wonderful Life. The celebration of forming a community is beautifully realized.

"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I also like the relationship between Brennan and Stewart. The best part is that Brennan doesn't hold back when he tells Stewart what he thinks about some of the things going on. Friends should be able to tell another the truth without fear of losing the relationship. It's one of my favorites too.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."