No Name on The Bullet - 1959

mrsl

No Name on The Bullet - 1959

Post by mrsl »

I know we've had discussions on this one before, but as usual I can't find the thread. I put up with the commercials and watched it on Sunday a.m. and wished I had tossed a DVD in so I would be able to see it again before it disappears for a while. Audie Murphy and Charles Drake lead a cast of primarily TV stars in this color, psychological Western drama which is quite different from any other western you've seen.

Audie, a hired killer, comes into town quietly and within minutes the town is second-guessing itself on who he is there to kill. This thing keeps you glued because you don't get any satisfaction until the very end and through it all, you're wondering if he's just there as a stopover for a day or two, or is he really there to get someone? He very quietly goes about his business of eating, and sleeping and just sitting around as he strikes up a guarded friendship with the town doctor. He doesn't ask any questions and doesn't seem to be looking for anyone yet one guy commits suicide, another calls him out for a gunfight, and just all sorts of mayhem occurs with him at the core, although he doesn't seek any trouble. As I said, you, as the eavesdropper wonder what the heck is going on.

You don't have to be a western fan to enjoy this one. It's a good chance to test your own cunning.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: No Name on The Bullet - 1959

Post by movieman1957 »

Good movie. I saw it last year. It is an interesting concept but at times I thought some of the people overreacted. Things that, if I remember right, others couldn't have known about were coming to the front in these people's minds.

Murphy was good. He didn't do anything that would give most of these people any relief. Part, I think, was a kind of perverse fun on watching them squirm.

I don't remember seeing it listed recently but it is worth checking out especially if you like Murphy.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

If I ever saw this one before it's been so long I don't remember it. You make it sound mighty intriguing, Anne. I'll definitely look out for it in the future.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
mrsl

Re: NO NAME ON THE BULLET - 1959

Post by mrsl »

Just bringing this thread up so you folks will know, if you have FOX, it will be playing this month. It's definitely a different kind of western than anything you're used to, so it might be worth making a note to see it.
Anne

knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Thanks, Anne, your discussions have made this movie one I really want to watch.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Found one for $5 at Walmart. Nice print and comes in widescreen format.

Watching it again I was more aware of the friendship between Murphy and Drake. It was respectful but a little uncomfortable. With these limitations it served them both well. Drake really becomes the go-between for the town and Gant. It gave Drake an opportunity to talk to Murphy that none of the others had and in a way it gave some protection for Murphy with the townsfolk, though it was little needed.

Interesting climax when it is revealed who Murphy comes for and the final showdown.

Murphy's calm and matter-of-fact performance adds to the tension of the film. Whit Bissell and Karl Swenson head a familiar supporting cast.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

In another thread,

Kingme quoted:

Western Guy wrote:Totally underrated, RedRiver. Maybe not a Welles or a Hitchcock, but an entertaining filmmaker, and often that matters most.

NO NAME ON THE BULLET is a minor masterpiece, IMO.

Kingme responded: I love NO NAME ON THE BULLET ... too!

Last week Encore played a lot of Audie Murphy's westerns, and of course this was one of them. The reason I'm bringing it up is if you have Western Encore and have never seen this one, especially if you are a non-western fan, do yourself a favor and check it out. It should be on again in the next few weeks.
Anne

Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I do have Encore Western and I will check it out on a daily basis to see whether it's on that day or not. Good Call Anne.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Well worth watching.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

RedRiver wrote:Well worth watching.
Thanks RedRiver ... appreciate the words here.