Red River

JackFavell

Re: Red River

Post by JackFavell »

So basically the good rider lets the horse do the work without yanking him around, and doesn't get in the way? He trusts the horse to do it and doesn't use the reins to hold himself in place on the horse's back? I think I got it now. Thanks, dee!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I should try this walking my dog! As for an alternate ending, I haven't seen the TV movie. I'm told that in the story by Borden Chase, Cherry kills Dunston, sparing Matt the anguish of making that choice. I haven't read the story, though. Just heard about it. My guess is the Joanne Dru character doesn't appear in it!

Tinker, your question about Cherry's fate in the movie is interesting. I assume he dies. In movie logic, if we're not shown otherwise, he's a goner!
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

There is a made for TV Movie based on RED RIVER? ... I did not know that!

Anyone: Is the movie any good?
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Thanks Dee, I love all those tips, I know what to look out for now.

Errol Flynn always looked good on a horse, I've no idea if he could ride well, he just looked good. I've got Rocky Mountain to watch soon, I can take notes on his riding and report back.

Are there any standards in film horses? What I mean is I think about actors likely to ride horses and most of the cowboy heroes looked like pretty tall man and mostly broad, Cooper, Wayne, Scott, Stewart, Flynn but then there's Shane with Alan Ladd and Glenn Ford would they use a different breed of horse or is it one size fits all?

I think you've started something here Dee, my mind is ticking away.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

kingme wrote:There is a made for TV Movie based on RED RIVER? ... I did not know that!

There is a TV version of the movie starring James Arness in Wayne's role and Bruce Boxleitner in Clift's role. It has been a long time since I've seen it but I to be kind it wasn't memorable. They were probably trying to take a good story and broadcast it to those TV viewers who wouldn't know the original. If you have the original you probably need not bother.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
tinker

Post by tinker »

So basically the good rider lets the horse do the work without yanking him around, and doesn't get in the way? He trusts the horse to do it and doesn't use the reins to hold himself in place on the horse's back? I think I got it now. Thanks, dee!
That's it which basically means watch Ben Johnson ride.

As for the type of horse, mostly quarter horse types because they have brains and afre fairly safe. Some of the flashy ones were American saddle horse like Steel.

In answer to the height of the horses, I know Alamo that John Wayne rode in the Alamo and John Smith bought and rode in Laramie was 17 hands. Which is VERY big. John Smith according to a friend of his loved Alamo and said it was the best trained horse he had ever ridden.

I did not know that Red River was remade. I have a wish that some a heritage list of films be kept, like heritage buildings and it means no-one can touch them, colourise them or remake them under pain of ten years jail watching Teenage Mutant Turtles everyday or maybe Blind Date. Red River for all its faults would be high on that list

dee
[b]But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams[/b]. (William Butler Yeats )
[b]How did I get to Hollywood? By train.[/b] (John Ford)
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

movieman1957 wrote:
kingme wrote:There is a made for TV Movie based on RED RIVER? ... I did not know that!

There is a TV version of the movie starring James Arness in Wayne's role and Bruce Boxleitner in Clift's role. It has been a long time since I've seen it but I to be kind it wasn't memorable. They were probably trying to take a good story and broadcast it to those TV viewers who wouldn't know the original. If you have the original you probably need not bother.

I've seen that ... I agree with your sediments here. Thanks for jarring my memory on this ... movieman.
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Galloping on flat ground is pretty safe, although stopping can be dodgy. (Horse stops you don't).
Tinker, I constantly see in westerns shots of riders (including Ben Johnson) galloping their horse, then stopping the horse on what seems like a dime, and jumping off even before the horse has come to a full stop. Is that so they don't get jarred around in the saddle or even fall off when the horse stops so quickly? I always figured this was something done to look pretty on camera and make the kids go "woah, I wish I could do that!" I can't imagine riders doing it in real life except if they were doing some kind of live performance. Seems really dangerous and a good way to hurt yourself if your foot gets stuck in the stirrup.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I've just learned there's a remake of BLIND DATE that features the Ninja Turtles!
tinker

Post by tinker »

RedRiver wrote:I've just learned there's a remake of BLIND DATE that features the Ninja Turtles!
Oops

Paula the getting off from a full gallop is indeed a trick, and not something you wuld normally do but part of the trick is to stop the horse in perfect balance and using the balance to stop you. The horse basically shortens (flexes and rounds ) its spin and tucks its head and legs in and can easily stop in its own length. But it really takes an athletic person to just step off on purpose. Doug McLure in The Virginian was a master of that trick. I've done it, getting off from a sliding stop and landing in my feet, but not on purpose. Old Danny Boy used to think it a huge joke to stop in front of jumps. :oops: :oops: :oops:

dee
[b]But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams[/b]. (William Butler Yeats )
[b]How did I get to Hollywood? By train.[/b] (John Ford)
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I can't even ride a horse and I can't even make it stop and go when I want it to go. And, I wear hearing aids and that alone when the horse really going ... my hearing aids almost come loose in the due process. So, I don't ride horses anymore.
charliechaplinfan

I answered my own question about Errol Flynn in Rocky Mountain by watching it on Friday. Of course Errol was good on a horse, I'd forgotten he kept his own horses that he rode regularly. Perhaps there were actors who could ride a horse better but perhaps for me at least didn't quite look as good :D
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Errol would have looked good no matter what!
charliechaplinfan

This is true :wink:
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Can someone speak to Stanwyck & Taylor? They had a ranch and owned horses as well.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com