Encore Western Channel

mrsl

Encore Western Channel

Post by mrsl »

I am grateful to have this channel because so often they play completely forgettable movies like today's Saskatchewan, then other times, they follow those with things like The Kentuckian - a gem mainly because of Burt Lancaster's portrayal. You may know I am not a Lancaster fan so much, but I do like a good performance, and even with all of his swagger and bluster, he does a good job here. Every month Encore has a few really good movies with A list actors like John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart, and Richard Widmark, etc. then they fill up the rest of the time with Rod Cameron, very early Rock Hudson and others before they learned their craft. Also, they always have their share of 1950's and 60's western serials, like Rifleman, Cheyenne, etc. and always old, reliable Gene Autry. But nevertheless, these are fun movies and shows that you can watch just to relax your mind. You don't have to think, or try to guess who the bad guys are, or wonder if you live up to the golden rule that is being favored in that particular movie/show.

Saskatchewan was really not all that bad. It starred Alan Ladd with Shelley Winters as his love interest. Hugh O'Brien was a marshal from Montana, supposedly bringing her back to Montana to stand trial, but you pretty much doubt if they will ever get there because he's pretty jealous of her. Unfortunately Jay Silverheels was supposed to be Alan's best friend and brother, but only appeared in about 3 scenes (kind of Tonto incognito). At least you got to see some of that gorgeous Canadian scenery and that helps any movie. LIke I said, a nice little picture to enjoy for 98 minutes and not get your brain in an uproar.

Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
markfp

Re: Encore Western Channel

Post by markfp »

It's a good channel (the only genre-themed channel that's stuck to it's original format) and I really like the old TV series.

However two things that bug me about it. Having been spoiled rotten, by TCM, I hate them showing all their films in pan and scan versions. It also drives me nuts when they put that stupid graphic "you've been watching (insert title here) and can see it again at..." over the closing credits. That in itself would be reason enough not to want to see it again.

Sorry for venting.