Chisum

mrsl

Chisum

Post by mrsl »

I explained yesterday that I purchased this at Walmart for just $5.00 and today planned to enjoy watching the movie. Well, I never really got to the movie because the directors commentary took so long. I wasn't aware that this story is based on true events and people from the 1878 Lincoln County Wars in and around New Mexico. According to Andrew McLaglen the only non-real story in the movie was the triangle of Billy the Kid, Pat Garrett and Chisum's niece, Sally. They were all there, and involved in the original story, but not in the love triangle, (that was purely for added spice in the film). Chisum was a real cattle baron who got into a 'war' with another fellow who tried to take over Chisum's ranch and other businesses. The English guy, played by Patrick Knowles was a real person who sided with Chisum, and also a real person was the guy played by Forrest Tucker. McLaglen loved working with the Duke because the set was always orderly and everybody got along. He used a lot of Ford's people, as well as his own who show up in both Waynes and Stewarts movies.

Actually, the story is a typical John Wayne western, with cattle rustling, shootouts, killings of kind, innocent people, and other action things. One of the best things for me, is Ben Johnson, as Wayne's friend/partner. Last time I watched it, I had it on my DVR disc that comes with the AT&T Uverse TV system, and good thing I did, because Wayne is always saying things, and Ben, usually walking behind him, is muttering something under his breath. It is those times I rewind a bit, and play very slowly on MUTE so the words are printed out. e.g. in the beginning, John's niece arrives and needs $50.00, John doesn't have it on him, but Pepper (Ben) does so as they are walking away to return to the horse ranch, she says, I'll pay you back right away Uncle John, and he says, don't worry; but Ben is muttering "Yeah, don't worry Mr. cattle baron, but, when do I get MY $50.00 bucks back, hmmmph".

I'm sure it loses in translation, but there are loads of funny dialog, good 'personal' contacts as McLaglen calls them, and naturally beautiful scenery.

The DVD is fully digitized, and presented in letter-box format and since it is called "The John Wayne Collection", I can only hope more will be coming along, hopefully at the same price. This was not a clearance item, nor a re-used disc. It was securely wrapped in cellophane, and taped with the usual white strip that is such a pain to remove. I have about 15 JW DVD's but there are still many I would like to get, and I sure would like more like this because a few of mine are Pan and Scan, and this is so clear and the sound is like a bell. It would be such a kick if they put out a copy of the trilogy, I just won't pay $15 or $18 for a DVD.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
JackFavell

Re: Chisum

Post by JackFavell »

I loved your review of Chisum, mrsl!

I especially love the vistas and beautiful rolling countryside.... the cattle drives are so beautiful.

You KNOW my favorite part of the movie is Pepper's grumbling banter with Chisum. I think it's so funny when Sally comes along, and he's grumbling about it, but then when it comes to who she will choose, HE is the one nervous that she will make a bad choice. He cracks me up when they are on the porch, and she goes into the house, and he says, " Well, what are WE gonna do about this..." (emphasis is mine, and I may have quoted wrong, but that is the idea anyway...)
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

Funny thing, I watched part of "Chisum" on AMC a month or so ago, and I was really taken with Ben Johnson's character. Then I happened to look at a British book on Westerns, and the author (Philip French perhaps?) said he thought that "Chisum" was underrated and he thought that Ben Johnson was a terrific part of this film.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Mike:

You say you watched 'a part' of Chisum last month, if you get the chance, or better yet, make the chance to allow yourself the opportunity to sit down and watch the whole movie. Whether or not you like westerns, you are watching a true historical part of New Mexico's history, and as long as nobody interrupts you, you should enjoy the repartee between JW and Ben.
Anne

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Being forced to go to Walmart today I thought of you and went looking. I found not only "Chisum" but also "No Name On The Bullet." Though I already had copies there were also copies of "Bend Of The River" and "Rooster Cogburn." Soon there will be fun.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Anne

I also think Chisum is an underrated film. There's a lump in my throat when Sue rides out of Linclon, heading for the Chisum Ranch, while her soon to be killed husband is under seige with Billy and his gang in the town store.

I also liked the fight scene between Duke and Forrest Tucker. Duke was doubled in part by Chuck Robertson, but I thought the stuff he did was just as tough as when he was doubled.

The actor who played Jess Evans, must have been older than the part he was playing, as an old pal of Billys, he'd been in films since the late 40s

Young Guns and its sequel are two films to compare with Chisum, as many of the characters also appear.

I would also recomend Big Jake and Cahill; United States Marshal
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Hi movieman:

As I was typing, I knew there were more classic names but calling on a senior moment, I couldn't remember what they were. I'm glad you supplied the names though, so those who want those movies, can get them at a reasonable price. I like your quote of "Soon there will be fun"?????

Stuart:

Richard Jaeckel was around for a long time in movies and TV, but with the baby face he had, he didn't look like he was nearing 50 years of age. I'm not a particular fan, but many here in the U.S. are.
Anne