The Closing of the American Frontier

moira finnie
Administrator

The Closing of the American Frontier

Post by moira finnie »

Which films do you think capture the closing of the frontier in America best? The arrival of the railroad, sodbusters (farmers), and civilization seems to be a constant theme in Western movies, especially in the forties and fifties. Are there some movies that you think approach this event better than others? Thanks for any ideas you may have on this open-ended topic.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
ChiO

Re: The Closing of the American Frontier

Post by ChiO »

For the end of the Myth of the West, Sam Peckinpah directed two of the best, both in the '60s:

RIDE THE HIGH COUNTRY

THE WILD BUNCH
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

I'll add to that excellent list:

Once Upon a Time in the West (1969)
Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid (1973)
Johnny Guitar (1954)
Shane (1953)
McCabe & Mrs. Miller (1971)
klondike

Post by klondike »

My fave in this particular niche, more for tone than substance: The White Buffalo.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Ithink rather than the 'closing' of the frontier, you mean something more like the 'opening'. For that reason, I would choose Cheyenne Autumn as a prime example of making the frontier ready for civilization. The worst of the Indians have been captured and forced into submission as well as forced to give up his way of life and live on the worst plots of land the U.S. government can find for them to try to live on. As today, a couple of hundred years ago, the U.S. went in with guns blazing instead of trying to learn the whys and wherefores of certain events. One culture fought against another culture that came in and started destroying the livelihood of the first, the buffalo, which fed, clothed, and housed that culture. Cheyenne Autumn shows the plight of a conquered people whose leaders have finally come to the conclusion that they have no choice but to give up their way of life and try to live as animals in a zoo. They are forced to walk hundreds of miles with women and children back and forth until those in charge come to some conclusion of what to do with them, after tricking them into the last of their leaders giving up the end of their freedoms. While all of this is going on, the railroad is gaining strength, people feel safe traveling on the 'iron horse', the wireless is standing with less interference, and homesteaders are free to take up the good land the Indians had lived on for hundreds of years, never bothering the original explorers, or pioneers.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I say Ride the High Country and The Wild Bunch are pretty near perfectexamples....

The Last Hunt comes to mind as well.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Though it is not a film that I like a lot "Monte Walsh" (1970) might fit well enough.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Bite the Bullet offers a different kind of look at a way of life that is coming to an end.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I may be misunderstanding what you mean by the 'closing' of the American frontier. If you mean the transition from man on horseback to man in air conditioned car, or family in covered wagon to family in motor home, I guess I would agree with Monte Walsh or possibly Lonely are the Brave. Both films are about men who know their way of life is about to end or change, and the trouble they have accepting that evidence. I still stand by Cheyenne Autumn as the final nail in the casket of the Western way of life, because all the changes were a direct result of the facts presented in that movie. But one last thing I've often commented on usually in a joking way, but true nonetheless. In many early John Wayne, and Gene Autry movies, both guys often jump off of a twin engine plane as it lands, and hop onto horses that are tied up waiting for them to run into town, or out of, whatever the case. If nothing else, seeing that alone would suggest the closing of the American frontier.
Anne

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Anne,

I'm not sure about others but based on some of the films mentioned, I think many of us are referring to the end of the western frontier in the late 1800s with most of the west finally settled. But new technologies are coming like the horseless carriage are on the horizon and the old ways and new ways don't always mesh well together.

The old west guys now have to deal, increasingly, with civilization, the law, churches, schools and all the things that they escaped the East for. By the end of the 1800s, there are fewer and fewer places in the west that haven't been civilized to some degree, making the free wheeling, devil may care, let's strike out for the territory beyond that fueled much of the western cowboy's hankerings for something and some place new that wasn't where they had been was fast coming to an end.

As civilization caught up with the old ways, many were able to make the transition but the ones who couldn't, well, those make the best movie characters.

We love stories of men out of time both figuratively and literally. Will they find redemption? Will they be able to incorporate into the new ways or will they be forever on the outside, looking in and aware of the gulf?
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Thanks Lynn:

I guess I got it right then. Oddly I didn't like either Monte Walsh or Lonely are the Brave, but they are both good examples of a changing world and how to cope with it, very much like my generation has to cope with all the technology of the past few years. I've chosen the few I care to learn and live with, and the others are for the younger set.
Anne

pvitari

Post by pvitari »

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.

They printed the legend, and turned the desert into a garden.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

GREAT responses all! Thank you for contributing these suggestions. I hope that more will be added.

I can definitely see each of these films fitting into this topic, but I'm a bit surprised that no one has mentioned The Westerner (1940), with that great Walter Brennan character of Judge Roy Bean representing the old, wild and wooly West nearing the end of his days.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
klondike

Post by klondike »

moirafinnie wrote: I can definitely see each of these films fitting into this topic, but I'm a bit surprised that no one has mentioned The Westerner (1940), with that great Walter Brennan character of Judge Roy Bean representing the old, wild and wooly West nearing the end of his days.
You've got sumpin there, Moira.
The Westerner can definitely shimmy it's leathery, sardonic way into this category, especially with the big, climactic shoot-out in that seemingly cavernous, High Victorian opera house . . particularly as either one of those men would have been grateful to spend one bit for a lukewarm tin cup of gypsumated barley-jack off a rip-sawn plank between two flour barrels a mere 10 years prior!