The Closing of the American Frontier

JackFavell

Re: The Closing of the American Frontier

Post by JackFavell »

Oh, wow! That's a great one, Moira! I can't believe we didn't come up with it.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Speaking of the "good" judge, The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean with Paul Newman as the judge, directed by John Huston, script by "Big John" Milius and a wonderful evil character played by Roddy MacDowell and the lovely Lily Langtry played by Ava Gardner fits this category to a T.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Moira's question about the closing of the west bugs me every now and then, and Kingrat touched lightly on Cimarron in his post, but actually Cimarron, the Glenn Ford version, is really a perfect example of the changes that came about.

First off, you have all these people meet in Oklahoma where all you can see for miles and miles, is miles and miles, but after the land run, especially in town, you see the shacks and tents put up to start businesses in. As time goes by wood is cut and trimmed to build buildings, some with second and third floors, but while this is happening, you still see gun fights in the middle of Main street, cattle drives going through town, cowboys having drunken nights in the saloons, and a few planks here and there to attempt to cross the street and stay out of the mud. As I said, to show time passing, the director and writer use the town to show the growth. Horses and carriages disappear and automobiles come along, while the wooden buildings are replaced by brick, and the streets and sidewalks are now paved. As one of the more civilized towns, Indians are citizens who also work and live in the town. There is a police force, City Hall, churches, schools and large emporiums that sell everything, much like today's discount stores. The town itself, has very little to do with the plot of the movie, but it could be considered another character, because, as it grows and becomes established, so do the citizens.

So end my musings after waiting to see Lynn on TV after Reds, on Saturday night at the TCM film festival.

G'night :shock:
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Dances With Wolves

Shane with Alan Ladd knowing his days as a professional gunfighter are almost over

Broken Lance, where Spencer Tracy's cattle baron discovers he's not as powerful as he once was, due to the arrival of a big Eastern mine company out west.

Tracy this time with Kate Hepburn in The Sea Of Grass, as a cattlebaron who sees his empire destroyed by sheep grazing

Sherif George Peppard, who's restricted by lawyers in How The West Was Won

Seabuiscut, with Chris Coopers cowboy finding his breed have died off and he ends up tramping the Country until he's spotted by Jeff Bridges Charles Howard, who makes him trainer of his new racing horse

Judge Roy Bean, the Paul Newman version with Ava Gardner as Lilli Langtrey.