The Quest

stuart.uk

The Quest

Post by stuart.uk »

I recently rediscovered this series on You Tube. While the pilot tv movie, in which Brian Keith co-starred with Reg stars Tim Mattheson and Kurt Russell, was acclaimed, the series was unsuccessful and was cancelled. I can think of two reasons for this. It was made in the 70s when no matter how anyone tried westerns at that time were generally going through a bad patch. The other reason was possibly the theme of the story was of two brothers, one of whom, Russell, had just been rescued from an 8-yr captivity from the Indians, who were searching for their married 14-yr-old sister, who was still held prisoner, however, the brothers were distracted by other sub-plots episode by episode. It reminded me of The Fugitive in that respect, but in contrast that show was both long running and successful.

It's a pity because it was well acted by both Russell, who became a major star and Mattheson, who earlier appeared as a regular player in both The Virginain and Bonanza, didn't get beyond as far as I can tell the occassional good tv movie. Though as I said before there were distractions for the fictional brothers, many plots centred around real life characters and events, such as in the pilot with Brian Keith.

The theme music was also very good