She Wore a Yellow Ribbon

MissGoddess

Re: She Wore a Yellow Ribbon

Post by MissGoddess »

Marvelous screencaps, Paula! One could take any frame from SWAYR, enlarge it and hang it on the wall, so perfectly is it composed.

The colors in the graveyard scene also reminds me of Beirstadt's "On the Plains", which Ford would have been familiar with...

"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

That's a gorgeous painting, Miss Goddess! Thanks for posting it.

From what I've read, Ford's inspiration for the look of SWAYR was the work of Frederic Remington.

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Thanks Pvitari:

I laughed like a loon when I saw that one of Olivia. But the others are all just breathtaking aren't they? I would love to have every one of them, both the paintings, and the screen caps. The colors are all the ones I love. I still can hear my late husband disparagingly telling people, "We drive through the Black Hills, some of the most beautiful scenery in the world, while she does her nails, but we get to the desert and I can't shut her up with her ooohing and aaahhing." It drove him nuts how I loved the desert and the colors and rock/mountain formations, yet my opinion of a forest scene was, "if you see one tree, you've seen them all, big deal".
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh my! That last shot......
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Yes, he was thinking of Remington for his first color film in Monument Valley, but he had
a painter's eye all his own and an encyclopedic knowledge of all the great western artists (he
kept a worn out folio of Beirstadt and others by his bed). Remarkable considering his own sight
was severely impaired most of his adult life. It's so interesting how many artists throughout the ages
have actually suffered from loss of sight and yet created some of their most interesting work toward the end.
Maybe it concentrates their effort to get only what they see in their imagination up there on the screen
(canvas).

If you've seen Fritz Lang's Rancho Notorious you may notice a similar employment of crimson tintings for
heightened emotional effect.
-- Will Rogers
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

JackFavell, glad you liked that last one -- I haven't actually gotten to that scene yet so it's something I grabbed off the web. (And in case it isn't screamingly obvious, yes, I am working on screencapping all of She Wore a Yellow Ribbon.)

Someday someone is going to write a big book about the use of red and all its hues in films... I guess we could go all the way back to The Masque of the Red Death in Phantom of the Opera. ;) Starting off with a couple of chapters about red in paintings, of course, and with an entire chapter devoted to Powell and Pressburger. Crimson is a dominant color in All That Heaven Allowed which I screencapped earlier this year. There are many many shots of scenes lit in clashing to the point of shocking red and blue to symbolize the struggle going on inside Jane Wyman and her growing alienation from her country club life.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

MissG -

I love reading your tidbits on Ford. You are the undisputed queen of all things Fordian! I think, from the little bit I've read about Ford, that he would have been constantly influenced by his reading, and the same could be said about his appreciation of art. He was a striver, someone who kept on expanding his knowledge every day of his life. I see different influences in each of his movies.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Jackie---no way am I any such thing, but thank you so much for the comliment. I'm just obsessed.
I will drop a hint that I have been working for the past year on a project related to Ford and it's entailed
doing a TON of research. I currently have about thirty books on him. It may be another six months
more or less before I can get it realized, but hold a good thought for it. I am a slow worker but its
kept me occupied during a whole lot of unexpected down time this year. :D

And yes, Papps was a bookworm of all bookworms. Again, with poor eyesight it is amazing how
much reading he'd do and how he had TOTAL RECALL of everything he read, heard or observed. I used
to be a bookworm myself but hanged if I remember anything from any of them, Lol!

Paula---I'm so glad you mentioned All That Heaven Allows...that was a great choice for your
screencapping. It's got to be one of the most gorgeous examples of color cinematography
and for a type of movie that a mundane director might not think of applying it to. Another
great example would be Leave Her to Heaven.
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Gosh, at the very least, I think there is a new thread in this discussion of color. No one seems to do cinematography threads - I tried one once at the other site and it fell flat, but I think the SSO has more sophisticated members. :D
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I noticed another deep red sunset - though it is hard to tell, the print is so worn out looking - in the 1937 A Star is Born.
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

I'm ashamed to admit it here, but I've never seen She Wore A Yellow Ribbon. I like some Westerns, but I'm not a die-hard fan. However, I really need to seek this one out after looking at these gorgeous screencaps. I love the Remington paintings that Paula has posted next to the screencaps, beautiful.

Sandy K
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

I'm a sucker for beautiful photography... which of course is just one of a zillion reasons why I love John Ford. ;) I wouldn't spend hours on screencaps if I didn't have a blast looking at all these shots over and over again. ;)

Sandy, do yourself a favor and watch She Wore a Yellow Ribbon ASAP. If you're not in love with all the characters (even the much-maligned Olivia) by the end, I'll eat my 7th Cavalry cap. (Well, I would if I had one.) :) For musicals fans, Ford is one of the best Westerns directors around. His films have some absolutely marvelous songs and scores. I just LOVE the ascending chromatic flourish that opens SWAYR right before the orchestra starts playing the title tune.

MissG, I'll just sit here drooling in anticipation until you are ready to unveil the details of your project.

And now from the latest batch (which wasn't all that big, I didn't have as much time because the weekend ended, alas).

The deadpan expression on Quincannon's face cracks me up.

"How many 'r's' in 'territory'? "Two." ROFL!

Nice dog! It's an "Irish setter" of course.:) Notice that the soldiers are all wearing different colored bandanas. I was reading up on the uniforms and apparently a bandana was not an official part of the uniform. But the soldiers usually wanted to wear them -- they were useful for a number of reasons -- so they'd pick whatever color they wanted.

All I could think was "lucky Mildred Natwick." ;)

Sorry, Mrsl! Here she is again. :)
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Pvitari:

Enough, enough already, stop pointing me out like some ogre who lives under a bridge and eats little children!!!!! Jeez!!! I guess I should stop posting because obviously my sweet, lovable, grandmotherly nature is NOT getting through. :mrgreen:

Well, tough!!! :P

I did want to mention the use of the color red that Spielberg used in Shindler's List. Although the movie was in B&W, the short scene where the little Jewish girl was walking unnoticed among the Nazi soldiers, down the street, was brought to the attention of the viewer by showing her coat in a bright red hue. I've only seen the movie once but saw it after Spielberg's discussion with someone explaining this and it made the scene really frightening, of the hair standing up on your neck type. That's one movie that one viewing was more than enough for me. I've never even tried to sit through it a second time. I also love that he learned the use of horizons from Ford, and the fact that they can be anywhere on the screen.

I learned from my book that I'm reading that Ford was especially mean to Wayne on the set of Stagecoach to toughen him up in order to face working with the likes of Claire Trevor, Thomas Mitchell, and Carradine, etc. because he was such a softie, it was hard for him to act nonchalant as he did in the movie. He didn't want that fear of being a newcomer to come across on screen.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
klondike

Post by klondike »

pvitari wrote:
All I could think was "lucky Mildred Natwick." ;)
Paula, what I noticed, thanks to the detail of that fine screen cap, was that although Abby's embrace w/ the Major is the background element, our sparkling Milly was certainly giving it her "all".
So, you say "lucky Mildred", I say "lucky George O'Brien!" . . and to quote ol' Spence as Adam Bonner: "Viva la difference!"
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

No more Joanne Dru pics then.