She Wore a Yellow Ribbon

ken123

Re: She Wore a Yellow Ribbon

Post by ken123 »

JackFavell wrote:Ella Raines was a horsewoman who grew up in the country - I can't remember whether it was Montana, but I think so. All her life she was the outdoorsy type, who would rather do sports and go camping than sit and primp. She liked skiing and swimming, every possible sport she could do, but horses were a real love.

with Kenneth Trout

Kenneth Trout was in my fathers artillery unit in WW2.
klondike

Post by klondike »

Mother Tyree: "I see what he looks like, but if he's playin' cards, it ain't my Travis!
. . . and he don't chew plug nor take snuff, neither!"
:? :? :? :?
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

JackFavell, you know where you can find more of Ben playing cards. :)

Klondike, thanks for the info re Ella Raines and that gorgeous photo. As I recall, there was no cut in that scene where she blocks off Wayne with the horse, so you could really see it was her. It was a really nifty bit of horsey action.

I watched Cheyenne Autumn the other day and I thought I was having an SWAYR flashback. Same actors, same locations, even reused dialogue! I did wonder what Ben Johnson might have done with Richard Widmark's role, though of course Richard Widmark was excellent.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

I caught most of She Wore a Yellow Ribbon again this morning:

I won't rehash my numerous writings on the film but one thing I noticed at the very end when Nathan and Tyree return to the fort after Tyree has gone in search of Brittles to give him the telegram that appoints Nathan to Lt. Col, Head of Scouts, was that as Nathan leaves the dance to go give his "report", Flint and Olivia join the dancing while Ross Pennell stands with his back to the partygoers and stands watch as if waiting til Nathan returns.

The movie makes a point of wanting us to believe that Tyree is the spiritual heir and Flint Cohill is the natural successor to Nathan Brittles and Ross Pennell just can't measure up.

But the shot of Pennell with his back turned, in a traditional, understated manner so typical of Ford that it goes almost unnoticed, indicates that Pennell will measure up and will grow to be a man that can fill Brittle's boots and be the leader he was. He, perhaps even more than Tyree and Flint Cohill, seems to understand at that moment the loneliness (despite his Army family and his friendship with Quincannon) and necessary sacrifice that is at the heart of Nathan's character.

With the juxtaposition, we see Flint and Olivia and Mac and Abby dancing indicating that Flint will become more like Mac, the traditional Army guy to whom wife and family matters, while Brittles, Tyree and Pennell signal the men who make the necessary sacrifices, including a happy personal life, to move the country forward.

I do have to admit, after the end, I thought, "oh good, I get to hear what Ben M has to say" and only then did I realize I wasn't watching the channel I thought I was but was watching Retroplex instead. :oops:
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

pvitari

Post by pvitari »

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Lynn, You make me want to watch it all over again! That was a stunning catch...and I completely agree with you. Pennell may outshine even Tyree eventually, with enough years and the weight of experience on him. He knows what it is to be set apart from others. Isn't it marvelous how Ford maps out a future for his characters, albeit an uncertain one? I'm somehow reminded of The Long Gray Line, where we see the beginnings of so many great men, including H.C., Jr as a future... you know who.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I've always noticed the shot but I thought Pinnell now was emotionally separate from the rest of the troop. That probably leads into what you think. Maybe he will be "free" to take that position with no family responsibilities that the others will carry.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I agree with you, Lynn, that moment has always intrigued me. There is a foreshadowing there for all the characters.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Ross Pennell stands with his back to the partygoers

Not unlike Ethan Edwards. Some people are more comfortable "out there."
rohanaka

Post by rohanaka »

Just enjoyed getting to see SWAYR again tonight.. it's been a while since I saw it last.. but still as good as ever. And I even caught two really sweet moments I NEVER noticed before. Both from Capt. Brittles as he is out with the troops.. he gives gentle affectionate "pats" to both women.

First to Joanne Dru as she has a quick (very quick) tearful moment after being just about ripped apart (verbally) by the man she loves (and the good Captain lleans over and gives her just the gentlest touch on the back as he rides by) And then a brief but sweet tap on the head to my dearly beloved Mildred as she is sitting on the back of the wagon clearly a bit dazed after helping the doctor in surgery.

Two gentle and sweet moments.. if you blink you'll miss them, and yet they speak VOLUMES about his character and who he was. (and what he thought about both women) Very endearing.. And as I mentioned.. in all the times I have seen this film before, I had never caught either one of them (at least not that I can recall)

I like finding new things to love about an old favorite film. :)
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Ro I'll never forget when I noticed those moments, too and it was after several viewings. I adore small gestures like that, which can easily be missed but in reality speak volumes, as you say.
-- Will Rogers
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I had fun watching this movie today ... I haven't seen this movie in ages and this was a treat to watch again today.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Mildred's goodbye is a sweet moment too. A gentle kiss goodbye to a dear friend.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Hey, I missed the final shoulder hug in They Were expendable until I took a screen cap of it! I mean, how blind could I be? It's only the most important scene in the entire film. :D :D

I'll be on the lookout for those gentle moments next time I watch SWAYR.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

JackFavell wrote:Hey, I missed the final shoulder hug in They Were expendable until I took a screen cap of it! I mean, how blind could I be? It's only the most important scene in the entire film. :D :D
don't miss the "HARRY CAREY" gesture by Wayne, either, in TWE---a decade prior to The Searchers.
-- Will Rogers