Joel McCrea

Lzcutter
Administrator

Re: Joel McCrea

Post by Lzcutter »

The May schedule is up! Joel is Star of the Month!

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/monthly.htm ... =2012-5-01
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Poor Joel. There are several threads dedicated to him, but they're all over the board. Whatever the reason, now that the month is over and Joel has been thoroughly high-lighted, I can easily say, as Lz Cutter did, that like the Duke, and Randolph Scott, Joel certainly does embody the image of a true Western hero. His quiet strength, easy way of talking, and manner of taking control when he enters a room, all join to form a man deserving of being called a 'movie' hero. All of his movies were entertaining, some more than others. I have a few favorites of my own. I loved him in The Virginian, and doubt if I will ever tire of watching Trooper Hook from beginning to end. Ride the High Country is a super movie, but I (fool that I am), prefer to remember my heroes in their youth rather than as they aged.

It seems like the true cowboys, like Joel and Ben Johnson lived by the old rules of clean living, family, and responsibility. My older generation of C & W singers followed pretty much the same path but unfortunately this new crop of country/rock kids seem to have different loyalties. Too bad for them but many of them seem to be in it more for the glitz and glamor than pure entertainment of their fans.

Whatever happens, I'm so glad we have our VCR's and DVD's to keep fond memories alive of our heroes on horseback.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I have been recording to disc some JMcC movies for Alison, and sat down to watch The Great Man's Lady. My o my o my, what a lovely movie. Barbara Stanwyck is simply a revelation in this one. She really makes you believe she is the frail woman of 100,as well as the charming young lady of 16. The makeup and hair were, for once, believable, rather than "lets make her look old, but still see who it is". Joel is a very flawed, very human hero in this one, both bad and good combined.
Brian Donlevy.....wow. I have never seen him in a role that he wasn't harsh, or cruel, or arrogant. This man was someone you wouldn't mind bringing home to mother...well, if she was quite liberal minded, anyway.

Ali, if you haven't seen this one....you are in for such a treat! :D
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Nan,

The Great Man's Lady is the first time I ever encountered Brian Donlevy as a good (well moderately good) guy. We are so used to be him playing heels, egotists and generally not likeable characters that seeing him in this light was almost like a revelation. I also really like him for this same reason in The Great McGinty. If I were to say more, I'm afraid I'd spoil it and don't want to do that.

But, seeing Brian Donlevy as a good guy is yet more reason to watch The Great Man's Lady and both McCrea and Stanwyck are terrific in this film.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

The movie is still with me after 5 hours. I don't think I have ever seen Ms. Stanwyck as lovely as she is here. Joel (sigh) McCrea was actually a little stiff in this, especially at first. He didn't come into his own until the scenes in shadows at the boarding house, and most of all in Virginia City, as he hears the news of Hannah.

Great, great movie.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Donlevy is a super actor. I think he's terrifically sympathetic in The Glass Key, though he's still a bit of a tough. I also like him very much in IMPACT. But I agree, this movie is really great at bringing out the softer side of Donlevy.

I think The Great Man's Lady is the find of the year for me. It should be better known, and if I were a guest programmer it would go on my list of films to show.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I watched "The Tall Stranger." A western from 1957. It's better than I thought it would be. That's good. The print was awful. Badly faded and shown in pan and scan it was pretty annoying as you'd see noses and fronts of hats, etc.

McCrea plays a man who is ambushed by what turns out to be cattle rustlers, among other things, and is rescued by a wagon train and nursed back to health. The train is being lead by a man who stops them on land owned by McCrea's half brother. He knows he won't let them stay so he tries to play Henry Kissinger between family and rescuers. All the while there is a third party trying to play the sides against each other. Negotiations, subterfuge and some general nastiness goes on as things unfold.

McCrea is joined by Virginia Mayo, Michael Ansara and a host of regulars like Whit Bissell, Ray Teal, Michael Pate and others. Some good action as well as some decent underlying stories help it along.

If you can find it watch it in the Cinemascope format.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Joel McCrea and Yvonne deCarlo join up for "The San Francisco Story." A rather clumsy start and an odd climax bookend a decent noir picture wrapped up in a western. (Though there isn't that much "western" to it.)

McCrea turns up in SF after a few years where he once helped oversee the town law committee.Things are a lot different now. The town is worse and the big shot not only causes most of the trouble but he has deCarlo to top it all off. McCrea wants to have a good time but his old partner wants to him to come and help.

Some political intrigue and a shanghai-ing and a few McCrea fights all figure into a weird mix. Richard Erdman, who I must have seen somewhere but couldn't pick him out of a lineup, is fun as McCrea's sidekick. Some semi-familiar faces tag along.

I wouldn't run out to get it but if you're looking for something different from McCrea this one might fit the bill. (Courtesy of my Netflix DVD account.)
Chris

Vienna

Post by Vienna »

Lovely tributes to Joel. Like Randolph Scott, he started doing only westerns in the late 40s and onwards, which is maybe a shame. As has been said, he had such an easy, relaxed style . I recently found I could order DVDs on Amazon in Spain and managed to get a double bill of WICHITA and THE OKLAHOMAN.
I guess his wife, the lovely Frances Dee , decided to devote herself to their family life.

Vienna's Classic Hollywood. http://dancinglady39.wordpress.com
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Hi Vienna. Joel is a very popular guy here. When he was made Star of The Month on TCM this year there was joy across the land.
Chris

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

"Gunfight At Dodge City" is a routine western beautifully filmed (in HD on MGM channel) starring McCrea as Bat Masterson. First, take everything you've thought about Masterson and throw it away. Gone are the tailored clothes, and high end demeanor. The film may have been better served giving him some ordinary name only as it is a bit of a distraction, initially.

The plot involves McCrea coming to Dodge where his brother is town sheriff. He buys a half interest in a saloon. It only manages to annoy the county sheriff who has his mind set on running McCrea out. Eventually, MCrea takes over being sheriff. He doesn't want it but it is put on him. It eventually conflicts him when a friend asks for help.

McCrea is his well mannered, straight up man here. Nothing deep like you'll find in the later Scott westerns. The great John McIntire costars with Julie Adams. The cast does a fine job but it is hampered some by rather pedestrian direction.

I swear the Dodge City town used the "Gunsmoke" set for the exteriors. The final shootout in its setting sure seems to have earned a nod from the finale in "Silverado."

Routine but if you are a McCrea fan go for it.
Chris

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

For a minute, I was thinking this might be the Jacques Tourneur film that features Masterson. But that's WICHITA, which I would love to see. I believe the most offbeat Masterson story I've seen is THE WOMAN OF THE TOWN, with Albert Dekker as Bat. It's not terribly exciting, but all in all, it's not a bad little cowboy show!
GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow.
D. W. Griffith
Vienna

Post by Vienna »

Great to see the Oasis active again .