Blood on the Moon (1948)

moira finnie
Administrator

Blood on the Moon (1948)

Post by moira finnie »

Blood on the Moon (1948-Robert Wise) is a really interesting Western starring Robert Mitchum, Robert Preston and Barbara Bel Geddes, is being aired on Monday, April 5th at 9am. In some ways, it seems to be almost a Noir Western. I'm surprised that we haven't discussed this one before.

Here's an article at TCM about this movie:
http://www.tcm.com/thismonth/article/?cid=31562
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: Blood on the Moon (1948)

Post by movieman1957 »

It is currently recording at home so hopefully we can talk about it later in the week.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

This is a terrific movie -- I have it on laser disc. (Remember those?) It's been eons since I've watched it, though.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Another stupid move on my part - I didn't think much about it, and never bothered to record it...now I wish I had, it was much better than I thought it would be.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Hey Jack:

I'll join you in the Stooopid corner. Of all times not to check the morning TCM offerings. This is one of the few Robert Mitchum movies I haven't seen, and I still haven't. But hopefully it will be shown again soon due to rental restrictions.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Give me an extra 'o' in my stooopid, because I DID check the sched and STILL overlooked the movie. DUH. I think I need and extra H in my Duh too.
klondike

Post by klondike »

JackFavell wrote:Give me an extra 'o' in my stooopid, because I DID check the sched and STILL overlooked the movie. DUH. I think I need and extra H in my Duh too.
It's even worse than you imagined, Wendy - this one featured Frank Faylen!
D'ohh! :x
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Aaaaagggghhhh!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Frank Faylen was very good at playing slimy characters.

Moira is right in that this feels much like noir. Just on the physical look of it 80% of it probably takes place at night. The film is a good look at loyalty and responsibility. Mitchum is summoned to town by an old friend with little idea what he is getting into. With enough double crossing and back stabbing to go around everyone has something going on - good or bad.

With interesting characters all around the most aggravating was Phyllis Thaxter. Suffice it to say, for those who haven't seen it the it is hard to believe what her part in all this mess is because you just want to kick her in the rear.

The film is highlighted by a terrific fight in a dark barroom and a pretty good climax.

At least my recording worked. :D
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
klondike

Post by klondike »

It also strikes me as funny, but somehow fitting, that you have Robert Preston chewing up the frontier scenery as the fun-to-mistrust deal-broker, Tate Riley, when you consider how perfectly that character would have fit right in with Spence Tracy and his ward-heeling chums in The Last Hurrah. :wink:
Right down to the oiled-but-touseling hair & rail-baron pencil mustache, crowning that fraternal, Irish grin. :twisted: