Westward The Women

mrsl

Westward The Women

Post by mrsl »

Well, I hope a few more folks got to see this terrific western today on one of Robert Taylor's days. As the star, Buck, with Denise Darcell, he played a pretty good trail boss, and even better since his wranglers were all women, and I loved the look of admiration on his face when the women all shouted him down about going back. "Just give us a map and we'll take it from there, Buck." This movie, like Casablanca, The Women, and a few others that are great favorites of mine, gives me something new to see every time I watch it.

Today it was Hope Emerson that amazed me. So warm and soft for such a large woman who was expected to be hard and tough. It was 'Patience' that Buck turned to whenever he needed a lead in some solution. She led a wagon down a rough, and untried terrain after the first one who tried, fell to her death in what seemed like an impossible feat. But all Buck had to say was that it had been done before, but it had been done by men, and Patience was rarin' to go. However, later when Rose collapsed in the dust when her labor pains started, it was enormous Patience who picked her up like a child and carried her to the wagon, which caused another look of admiration from Buck, annoyed that they had to stop for the birthing, but that glint of wonder appeared in his eye, when the wheel fell off and all the women gathered to lift the wagon so the baby could be born.

A man who had no use for women sure makes a 180 turn in this one. In the beginning, when John McIntyre, owner of the large valley ranch which needs wives for the men, says he wants to have only 'good' women, Buck is shocked when McIntyre accepts two obvious saloon girls, but John sees something in them and gives them a chance, but Buck is on their case thru more than half the trip until he finally admits he is in love with one of them. Although we lose John on the trail, when Buck faces the men, he makes it very clear that these are special women, who are to be treated with special care and respect. You know he would have choked on those words a year earlier. Watching the women driving the mules, circling the wagons when the indians attack, shooting a rattle snake, etc. is so different from seeing men do the same things, is what makes the movie so interesting to watch, and changes Bucks' attitude. Seeing the 'back story' short just before the movie, helps us to realize these actresses went through some pretty tough training. They're actually cracking those whips, and driving those wagons.

For those who watched it today, I hope you enjoyed it like I did the first time I saw it. For those who missed it, I hope you get another chance some day soon.

Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
mongoII

Re: Westward The Women

Post by mongoII »

Anne, after all the turmoil that the women went through on the trail, I did enjoy the finale at the dance (especially Hope Emerson with her man Mackeral Face, George Chandler).
To the tune of "Those Endearing Young Charms", there is a nice moment between Robert Taylor and Denise Darcel, while the couples get in line to get wed.
And of course, Ito (Henry Nakamura) was a hoot.
Joseph Goodheart
ken123

Re: Westward The Women

Post by ken123 »

mrsl,
Mr. Taylor sure opened my eyes in this film & in Devils Doorway. :D