The Deadly Companions

RedRiver

Re: The Deadly Companions

Post by RedRiver »

"OK Corral" is quite good. My favorite John Sturges western. As a child, I liked HOUR OF THE GUN. More recently, I was not so impressed. Dark and brooding. That's OK. But SLOWLY...dark and brooding. That's hard to sit through. Love Jason Robards as Holiday, though! My favorite portrayal of the doc.
Last edited by RedRiver on December 21st, 2012, 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

I like WICHITA a lot.

But, I guess, it's a Tourneur-thing, a director of Westerns second only to Mann for me.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u][color=#4000BF]Lzcutter[/color][/u] wrote:...And I don't understand why FredC, a cameraman, would offer comparisons on lighting between a black and white film and a color film from the early 1960s. It's like comparing apples to kumquats.
[youtube][/youtube]

Kumquats. The funniest word in the English language.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Recently I was interviewed concerning the Western novels I write (okay, shameless plug) and one of the questions asked was of the enduring nature of the species. I was quick to counter with Westerns really are an ebb and flow genre. They were huge back in the 60s (you couldn't flip a TV channel without coming across Hoss on a horse or some such). But then the genre kinda petered out and since its heyday, as it were, has only flamed back to life when a book and TV film such as LONESOME DOVE appears, or a DANCES WITH WOLVES. Television has produced a series based on the McMurtry book, along with a personal fave DEAD MAN'S GUN (with thanks to Henry Winkler) and DEADWOOD, which I confess I never watched for a personal prejudice along with the fact that language-wise it did not strictly stick to the code of the Old West. Not that I'm a prude. I very much enjoy the Western novels put out by the late Robert Parker, though, again, I question the historical accuracy of some of the frank language inserted into his dialogue. Back to Larry McMurtry: I cannot say I was a fan of BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN. Larry is a wonderful Western writer and I grudgingly give a nod to his daring in tackling this subject, but I gotta say the film just left me cold. I had to return to Kevin Costner for OPEN RANGE to restore my bearings. Oh, and I also really enjoyed COLD MOUNTAIN, though I felt the ending totally crapped out.

Preachment ended.

Bottom line: I find Westerns to be the most satisfying genre. I can generally be thoroughly entertained by watching a cowboy flick and feel somewhat refreshed once those end credits role. Really haven't seen any that I can say I particularly dislike, so even a B-film like WICHITA or pretty much all of those 50s Westerns are fine to watch.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Though I am not much of a fiction reader (though I am trying to correct that) westerns are my favorite genre of movies.Maybe because I like them I never thought bad westerns were as bad as other bad movies. Like you I can watch one any day and come away that at least I've been entertained. (I think bad horror movies are the worst and consequently watch very few of them, even the good ones.)

Someone once said there were really only about 7 western story lines but I always thought it interesting how many different ways they can be told.

You mentioned "Dead Man's Gun" and while I often see the promo for it I've never stumbled on it or remember to catch it when it airs.

You also mention Robert Parker. Is he the same Parker of the Jesse Stone novels? I've enjoyed the movies and have read the first couple of those novels. Not surprisingly the characters are very much the same but the crime story part have little connection to each other. Any of his books to recommend?

Anyway I've thought westerns were fun because it is a life style that so few of us can ever be part of again. We sit and type and shuffle papers and drive and go to bed. Most all the stories have some sense of adventure and out of any routine though there must have been plenty of that for people. And there are interesting characters.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Not to interrupt but I love how you write about westerns taking us out of ourselves, Chris.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Please forgive me as I don't intend to turn this into a literary discussion, but my main challenge in writing my Westerns is to try to escape as much as possible those standard plotlines. Or at least add a new dimension to them. I'm working on my fifth Western now and I think - at least I hope - I've maneuvered far enough away from what has been familiar reading. Subplots and characters help. A good film example is Johnny Depp's DEAD MAN -- but, wow, what a terrible film!

Totally agree with you, Chris, about bad horror movies. For someone who truly grew up on the genre and pretty much followed these flicks into the early 80s, I find I really can't sit through many that have since come on the scene. I find them boring and predictable -- and, sadly, more and more cruel and sadistic. That ain't entertainment in my book.

DEAD MAN'S GUN is fun: A Western with a supernatural bent: The gun that passes from hand to hand throughout the series is apparently cursed: Sometimes the handler benefits from its possession, sometimes an ironic, if deserved fate, awaits. I really recommend this program, which also features a darn fine cast.

Robert Parker definitely is the author of the Jesse Stone novels - along with the Spencer books. I enjoy his writing as it is sparse a la Hemingway so that he simply tells a neat, compelling story. He got into Western writing later in his career and wrote such fine novels as Gunman's Rhapsody (a retelling of the Wyatt Earp/Doc Holliday story), Brimstone, Appaloosa, Resolution and Blue-Eyed Devil. I like him 'cause overall he tells a clean, uncluttered story, one in which you are not hesitant to flip over pages.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Spenser. With an S. Such heresy! Parker's enormously popular, and extensive, detective series is good. Well written with style and character. However, some fans like it more than I do. I've read a handful of them. Will probably do more someday. But I prefer the police procedurals of Ed McBain or John D. MacDonald's Travis McGee stories. Nonetheless, Parker's books are big, BIG sellers. He must be doing something right!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh my goodness, I have to watch Dead Man's Gun! I absolutely LOVE movies like this. I can think of three that are similar that I just adore

Tales of Manhattan -the story of a dress suit

Twenty Bucks
- the story of a twenty dollar bill (you'll wash your hands when touching money after seeing this movie)

If I Had a Million

oh my, I am thinking up a ton more! there's also

La Ronde

Forever and a Day

The Story of Three Loves

Letter to Three Wives

The Red Violin

And I could go on....

sorry for digressing. :oops: All this is simply an excited rambling about how I must find a copy of Dead Man's Gun! Is it a modern film, Western Guy? I can only find listings for a 1997 movie.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Wendy, DEAD MAN'S GUN was a Canadian-produced television series. I picked up my copies at Wal-Mart about a year ago. I'm sure if you're interested the set could be special ordered if not available in-store.

Robert Parker sadly was found dead at his computer by his wife Joan, to whom he had dedicated nearly all of his books, yet with whom he lived practically a separate existence in their Boston home. I don't believe the dynamics behind this situation were particularly curious, more a matter of creative convenience. You cannot write the dedications that Parker did to his wife and not have an affection for that person.

Here's an interesting: Back in the early 80s Dick Cavettt hosted Stephen King, George Romero and Robert Parker on his talk show. When Cavett mentioned that one of his guests possessed a PhD., it was Parker who modestly admitted the fact that it was he. Even more fascinating, Cavett remarked on the smoking going on between the guests: referring to King and Romero who were puffing away like the magic dragon. Parker did not smoke. I recall King's response to Cavett: "Anyone can quit smoking but it takes a real man to tackle lung cancer." Seemed a bit more humorous back then. Today, King, formerly a notorious chainsmoker, allows himself two cigarettes a day. Yet non-smoker Parker was the one who suffered from heart problems and eventually succumbed to a fatal coronary while going about his daily work.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Ahh, thanks WG.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Always more than happy to oblige. Just hope my fate as a Western writer doesn't mimic Mr. Parker's. I ain't a young cannon anymore.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I hope so too!
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Too sweet, Wends. Just gotta watch myself over this Holiday Season. Got a terrible weakness for turkey dressing and Ukrainian cabbage rolls (my mouth waters at the thought). Fortunately I can come or go on dessert treats.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Mmm, Ukrainian cabbage rolls sound heavenly. Are they like the sweet and sour cabbage rolls my mom used to make? Heavenly. And cabbage is good for you. :wink: