The Deadly Companions

RedRiver

Re: The Deadly Companions

Post by RedRiver »

This is one of the best ensembles I've seen. I love the way Neeson is worried that his son is depressed over his mother's death. It turns out, that's not what's bothering him. The boy's in love! This so illustrates the need to talk to each other. You never really know what another person is thinking. You have to ask them.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I'm not sure if I started the conversation about vulgar or foul language with my last post, but I didn't mean I dislike ALL bad language in film. In fact, in some older movies I kind of wish the language could have been a little stronger because when a big, usually tough fellow like George Kennedy, after being punched in the mouth says something like "You dirty, jerk", I just want to laugh since I doubt any self respecting man would utter such drivel. My main complaint about Deadwood was the language in many cases, was totally useless and unnecessary. e.g. ' this effen drink feels good in my effen stomach '. It just seems like the language is used more for childish shock value, than serious dialog. As I said, the show was very good, but I got tired of the repeatedly vulgar language. Case in point: No Name on the Bullet - full of fearful anticipation, a town full of worries about who the stranger was after, but all done with absolutely no bad language of any kind.

As for Love, Actually, that was another movie I went out and purchased after seeing it twice. It, like Holiday and Return to Me, are three of the recent (10 years or so), movies that have come out, that I truly enjoyed, and also purchased quickly. I wish more were put out with that kind of humor, as well as lacking bad language, and bodily function episodes, and just are pure, straight romantic love stories.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Very good point, Anne. It's like watching gangster films of the 30s when you know characters played by Bogie, Raft, Cagney or Robinson would certainly use sharper language in "real life". Heck, they had to tone down Robinson's final lines in LITTLE CAESAR from "Mother of God" to "Mother of mercy", but still I can't complain because I know we're simply watching entertainment and its effective on other levels. But where's the true writing talent of the screenwriter when he has to litter dialogue with expletives? And what's the reasoning: Is it for realism, shock value, or, as has often been said when it comes to bad language useage, he doesn't know any other creative way to express himself?

Must confess I've never watched DEADWOOD. Heard good things about it but I don't care for the foul dialogue, which was the biggest complaint I heard about the series. I can accept THE SOPRANOS more because wise guys talk that way. I still am not sure about the extent of dirty language used by cowboys.

So true about NO NAME ON THE BULLET, Anne. A totally effective film that would not have benefitted one iota by the inclusion of swear words. Anyhoo, I don't think I could take seriously Audie Murphy spewing curse words.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Love, Actually...I wish more were put out with that kind of humor

Don't we all. This is sophisticated, thoughtful storytelling. It's all but extinct in mainstream comedy.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I really am going to have to give Love Actually another chance, it was a miss with me when I watched it, I wonder if I expected too much and thus misjudged it. I know everyone else here is a fan and all of you can't be wrong.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

all of you can't be wrong.

Sure we can. We do it all the time!
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

CharlieChaplin: Love Actually is a romantic comedy similar to the tragic Crash of a few years ago by the way all of the stories actually intertwined with each other with the people involved. You have to watch closely to realize that. It wasn't until my second viewing of Crash that I realized each character knew or heard of one of the other characters in one of the other vignettes. One guy is the friend of another, or one directs another, or is the social worker another argues with, etc. Love Actually is almost the same way except more overlapped, than familiar with each other. Try it again by all means, you might be surprised.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Someday someone is going to do a search for "Love, Actually" and they are going to scratch their head when it comes up under a thread for "The Deadly Companions." Good discussions know no bounds.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I have seen it Anne, I just didn't connect with it but I will try again.

That would be funny, Love, Actually and Deadly Companions, hmm.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin