How the West Was Won - TV Series

mrsl

How the West Was Won - TV Series

Post by mrsl »

Several months ago I saw this coming on soon on Saturday a.m. so I set up the DVR to record each week, then promptly forgot about it. I had never seen the show originally, so one Saturday, with nothing special to watch, I sat down to catch up on it. Although imdB says the episodes are 60 minutes, I find them to be more like 120 min. , all I know is I watched 4 episodes from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00p.m. (but I admit with an hour nap in there for a while). I love this show and hope to catch all of it. I happened to record from the very first show where everyone was introduced as the story progressed. Eva Marie Saint started out as James Arness (Zeb), sister-in-law, but left after the second show to be replaced by the very Irish Finnolla Flanagan who I much prefer. The characters are all very well written. Arness as Zeb is wonderful as the craggy half mountain, half family man. His friends are the area Indians and he's not afraid to back them when they're right, even against the Union Army. Luke, the heart throb I guess, is also good but gets into trouble like other people wash their faces. He's played by Bruce Boxleitner and usually pretty believable. I'm hoping Josh will get larger parts as time goes by. I don't know how long the series was on, but I'm sure it was cancelled much too quickly. I'm finding I really like watching different network shows on the DVR. As long as I can remain patient and let 4 or 5 get copied, it makes for a really nice morning, or afternoon. FF through the commercials is easy once you learn the signs to look for to stop in time. On Demand is good but not all shows are on that, so I stick with the DVR.

Does anyone else like this show?
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Rita Hayworth

Re: How the West Was Won - TV Series

Post by Rita Hayworth »

mrsl,

I do like this show too. It was on in the year 1979.

Here is an excellent web page devoted to this show that was on for one season.
http://www.maestravida.com/Zeb/HTWWW.html

Here's a real cool You Tube Clip ... I was a big fan and I have fond memories watching it during my college years. You Tube has dozens and dozens of clips devoted to this outstanding western show.

[youtube][/youtube]
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Anne,

I saw this show years ago on its initial run. I really, really liked it and thought Arness was perfect casting. I haven't really seen it since the late 1970s but I am glad it is finding new fans on the Western channel.

I think you really like it and I agree about Eva Marie Saint leaving the show and being replaced by Finnolla Flanagan who more than held her own against Arness in a way that Saint's take on the character wasn't able to.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

This has had a few incarnations, starting with a 1976 telefilm titled The Macahans. A 1977 miniseries followed, then a 1978 miniseries, then came the 1979 series. I watched the original telefilm back when I was in high school, because one of my favorites Richard Kiley was featured; but once his character was killed off I lost interest. :)
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

The Encore Western channel has been running this series non-stop since Saturday morning and I have been watching every minute of it. I've still got about 5 more episodes to watch. I tried to watch it once before, but didn't start until halfway through the original mini-series, so I wasn't sure who was who and what exactly was going on.I don't know what year I'm on right now but I couldn't be happier with a series. I think it was one of the best mini-series ever put on TV and eventually turned into a weekly program. James Arness, the patriarch of the Macahan family, is, as usual, in top form all the way through it. The characters are all rich and alive, and although many relatively unknown actors were used, they either were very good, or had great directors. You see very few John Andersons and John Dehners, the only repeat I've seen was Morgan Woodward, and actor I cannot believe never was put on the A list. The theme music is completely astounding. It flows along just like the beautiful scenery it is (voicing?), over. The stories are full and rich, and totally new each episode which are often either one and one half hours or two hours long. It's over now and I'm watching the shows I DVR'd when I had to attend to other forms of life, liberty and the pursuit. If it is offered by Netflix, and you like wide open westerns, you might want to check it out.

Was anyone else as devoted to westerns as I was?

When I finally finish HTWWW, I have The Sacketts also DVR'd and as much as I like the three stars, I'm anxious to see it also.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I enjoyed "HTWWW" when it aired originally and then several years ago on TBS or TNT. I was surprised that Arness took on another role so soon after "Gunsmoke" went away but that may have just been working as long as he can as much as he can. It's due for another round but I liked it.

I'll reserve any comment on "The Sacketts" until after you've had a chance to see it.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Richard--W

Post by Richard--W »

Warner Home Video released the made-for-tv movie THE McCAHANS (1977) and the first mini-series HOW THE WEST WAS WON (1979) in this 2-disc set

The title change confuses people, but it's a well-writ, well-produced, well-made program. I especially appreciated Burt Kennedy's direction of THE McCAHANS. Love the arc of the story, the location photography, the scenery, the occasional horsemanship, the inventive characterizations, the adult attitude of the story. Just a first-rate epic western all around. Eva Marie Saint's character got to be overly wooden-headed after awhile, but I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. I never saw James Arness enjoy himself so much. He seemed to be having a great time playing the part. Those deerskins he wore looked suitably grungy.

I wish Warner Home Video would release the rest of the series on DVD without delay. I'm not getting any younger waiting for it. Actually they have released it, under the title THE McCAHANS in a 14-disc set in Sweden --

-- where the settlement of the American west is still taken very seriously. But you would need a multi-region player to play it and then the pitch would be speeded up 4%. Everybody, send an email to Warner Home Video and tell them to hurry up and release the rest of the program here.

While you're at it, advise them to release Arness's remake of RED RIVER (circa 1987) on DVD as well.
"To live outside the law you must be honest."
Bob Dylan, 1965