LONGMIRE

movieman1957
Administrator

Re: LONGMIRE

Post by movieman1957 »

Nancy:

I now remember the part about the shells but I don't remember Branch having his gun in his hand. I still have the episode on my DVR and will check it out again.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I think he was standing, facing his father, with his shotgun cradled in his arms. It was such a shocker when Barlow said he could make another son, in effect abandoning Branch, that who knows what happened next!!! This has to be, as far as cliffies go, one of the best I've ever seen. I agree, Mark, if A&E would do some episodes in January, we could probably stumble along until summer.
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Someone posted a comment somewhere that the owl could be a messenger of death. I don't know but sounds as good as our ideas.
Chris

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

LONGMIRE CANCELLED!

Apparently the idiots at A&E have lost what little sense they had. No reason for me to watch that network again. This was the only thing there.

Our old friend Klondike posted this on Facebook from "Deadline Hollywood."

Longmire, A&E Network’s most-watched original drama series of all time, will be ending its run on the cable network after three seasons. In a surprising move, the network has opted not to renew the series for a fourth season. I hear Warner Horizon, the studio behind Longmire, will be shopping it immediately. “We would like to thank the phenomenal cast, crew and producers of Longmire, along with our partners at Warner Horizon, for their tireless work on three seasons of quality dramatic storytelling,” A&E said in a statement. “We are incredibly proud of what we have achieved together.”

A&E Network LogoIn its second season, Longmire averaged nearly 6 million viewers, up 9% from Season 1. Longmire‘s viewership has dipped so far in Season 3 to 4.6 million viewers, but its lead-in, Criminal Minds repeats, is a lot weaker (-72%) than the series’ lead-in last year, original drama The Glades. The cancellation of that series got a strong reaction from fans; the axing of Longmire, which has a wide fan base, will likely not go well with them either. Longmire’s audience skews older than some other A&E dramas like Bates Motel, but it brings more eyeballs than any other scripted show on the network. Even with the decline, Longmire logged A&E’s largest viewership for any series this year behind only flagship Duck Dynasty.

There has been a drive at A+E Networks (as well as other cable network groups) to own a large portion of their scripted programming, which was also the impetus behind the launch of A+E Studios. Both Longmire and The Glades came from outside suppliers, Warner Horizon and Fox TV Studios, respectively.

After a foray into scripted programming, the network appears to be scaling back, refocusing on its bread-and-butter unscripted fare. Besides Psycho prequel Bates Motel, the network only has the upcoming 10-episode remake of The Returned on the scripted side following the cancellations of Longmire and Glades and the demise of Those Who Kill. A&E’s head of scripted programming, Tana Nugent Jamieson, just moved to A+E Studios as SVP. The network has one scripted executive left, VP Drama Development Gabriel Marano.
Chris

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

CRAP!!!!!

First A&E cancels The Glades which was well watched and fit with our show and then gave our show Criminal Minds repeats as a lead in in and our show's numbers suffered because of A&E's dumb decision making.

GRRRRRRR~~~~~

Here's hoping another network picks up our show. I'd watch it on Amazon or Netflix! Heck, I'd watch it anywhere.

I just want to be able to watch it!!!!!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I'll see your CRAP, and raise you....S##%T!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: What an incredibly shortsighted idea. What is the most unbelievable, is that more than one knucklehead had to agree to this. As popular as it has been, here's hoping another network picks it up quickly, before the cast moves on.
Last edited by knitwit45 on August 28th, 2014, 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Some other article I read says that A&E wants to focus on "unscripted" shows. (Read cheap.)

Here is TNT's chance for their signature show. It may not be edgy enough for FX but somebody should get it. Far be it for the regular networks to run with it.
Chris

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

The thing that really ticks me off is that the suits (at A&E, Turner, etc) are all saying they want AMC quality shows like Mad Men and Breaking Bad.

But as someone who has watched both shows from the beginning, the thing they fail to remember is neither was a ratings dynamo in the first years. BB's ratings in the first years was nothing to brag about. It survived because AMC didn't really have anything else in the pipeline, MM provided a good lead-in and most critics ignored the show.

It was only in the last two years, with streaming, Netflix and the AMC policy of showing previous seasons before the season premiere, that the show became a ratings bonanza.

AMC could have cancelled the show many times over but stood by it while developing other fare like Walking Dead which is way more popular than either MM or BB.

Besides the awards both shows have garnered over the years, the demographic that kept both shows on the air in those earlier years was us - the older, 48 -60 year old, middle to upper middle class generation that was educated and was prized by advertisers because we are perceived to have money.

It took the younger generation almost to the end of BB to finally come around.

FX has stood by for five seasons of Justified a show that is not a ratings juggernaut or the winner of many awards but is a solid drama that features good writing and good, sometimes great (looking at you Walter Goggins and Margo Martindale), acting.

So if A&E, Turner Entertainment and others want to have shows like that, they have to be willing to nourish them and stand by them not cancel them and turn to cheaper fare.

Also, based on the ravings of the head of Turner Entertainment, I am concerned about the future of Major Crimes and other dramas on TNT.

GRRRRRR......
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

There may be hope:

http://deadline.com/2014/09/longmire-sh ... os-829755/

If it went to Netflix or Amazon, I would follow.

Would you?
Lynn in Lake Balboa

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I'd follow it. (Waiting for my daughter to catch up on it.) But wait, I am one of those dreaded older people who have no money and no sense of style or taste. I'm too practical to be sought after by advertisers. My dollar is worth less than the dollars that belong to my children.

It's bad enough getting old. Becoming irrelevant is just sad.

I will disagree about one thing in the story. While I have watched the most of "Hell On Wheels" I don't think it has anywhere near the same sensibilities as "Longmire." Yes, they are both set in the west but that is about all the comparison one can make.
Chris

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

If anyone reads it, today's Wall Street Journal (Sept 12, 2014) talks about the plight of networks and older viewers.

Longmire's cancellation looms large in its background.
Chris

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

A woman writes out loud what we have all been saying here:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/w ... oth-733922

From her keyboard to some network or digital company's ear!

"The accepted wisdom is that the spending habits of the AARP-eligible are immutable and, anyway, they’ve got one foot in the grave. You have to wonder when will we put this creaky canard out of its misery because it’s not your father’s 50 anymore. Every second and a half an American turns 50, which means that in a very short time, we will be the largest demographic in the country — and with our longer life spans, we’re not going anywhere. It also just so happens that 50-plus-ers account for of 75% of disposable income in America"
Lynn in Lake Balboa

tinker

Post by tinker »

I think the problem is, at least for quality television, that although over 50's have a large disposable income, they are to smart to be convinced to dispose of it by slick advertisers, unlike gullible teenagers. Hence they make films and TV for teenagers because the advertising works.

dee
[b]But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams[/b]. (William Butler Yeats )
[b]How did I get to Hollywood? By train.[/b] (John Ford)
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Alright Longmire fans, time to get your Netflix memberships in order:

They have picked up our show for Season freakin' 4!!!!!!!!

REJOICE!!!!! We get 10 episodes!!!!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-f ... ire-750548

Netflix feels we aren't too old!

If you don't have a membership, get one soon!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

The article linked on Facebook said Netflix had the first three seasons but my account shows only two so far. I guess that means 3 (which my Mo can't wait to finish) should be around soon.

Hooray for the old folks.
Chris