SMOKE SIGNAL

mrsl

SMOKE SIGNAL

Post by mrsl »

Smoke Signal is not a great western, not even a really good one, but it's differences make it stand out from the rest. For one thing, the movie is played in boats on the Colorado River instead of the dusty prairie. It was made in 1955 and starred Dana Andrews, Piper Laurie, and Rex Reason. Dana was a deserter and everyone believes he helped in a massacre where the Captain lost his brother. Piper was visiting her father when he died during an attack on the fort, and while the indians are gathering, the Captain decides to take a trappers' advice and get out of the fort since three nations are getting together to attack. So, off they go and naturally during the trip Dana is the only one who knows what to do, yet the Captain refuses to trust him. As time goes on he gains the respect of the other men and a few of them get to the safety of a different fort. I expected it to end with us learning he was on a special mission and not deserting, but not quite. If it comes on again on Encore (which I'm sure it will), you might want to catch it. At lease it's in color, and that seems to be a favorite complaint of most non-western fans that 'they're all in black and white'. Piper, of course is there for decoration, but there are a few surprises along the way. I lived along the Colorado for a while in Bull Head, Arizona and don't quite recall the river being so murky and yuckky green, in fact I recall it a beautiful clear blue, even when the white rapids are passing. I guess maybe the filming crew had something to do with messing up the water.

Has anyone else seen this slightly different film?

What do you think?
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Vienna

Re: SMOKE SIGNAL

Post by Vienna »

I saw Smoke Signal for the first time this week. As you say, an original setting on the Colorado river, but a lot of back projection spoiled sections of the film. I liked William Talman as the army officer intent on taking Dana Andrews to justice.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I think I'd like it. Rapids? What could be more scenic? Piper Laurie? What could be more scenic? I enjoy a fun, but forgettable adventure. This sounds like it would qualify.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I watched this one again today and find I give it more credence than I did the last time. To begin with, there is more of a back story to the reasons why Dana Andrews was considered a renegade and/or deserter, depending on whose story you believe. The captain William Tallman just won't accept that his former deceased commanding officer could have been wrong about the facts. There is more to Andrews leaving than was accepted as truth. The captain did not have to cling to his deceased C.O.'s decision and could have used his own sense of right and wrong. I also like the way the men finally came to defend Andrews rather than continue to find fault with him. The love story is more than minor, but I realize that there had to be a love interest in these westerns to attract the ladies, who, for years had been seeing so many Bataan and Back to Bataan's, needed some female action.

So I'm still recommending it to those who have not yet taken the dive into the Western Channel on Encore
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************