Re: Dobe

Post by MissGoddess »

how wonderful.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Susan Doll at TCM's Movie Morlocks blog has written a beautiful appreciation of Harry Carey Jr. and his significance as an icon of the classic Western and the subtext his presence brought to more recent, revisionist Westerns. (She also discusses Harry Sr. and mentions his mother Olive Carey.) Here's the link:

http://moviemorlocks.com/2012/12/31/on- ... -carey-jr/

I'll add this to my Ben page.

I hope the Carey family find this as I think they would really love reading this.

By the way, the contents of Harry Carey Jr.'s official webpage have been taken down but they did put up a beautiful graphic in his honor:

http://harrycareyjr.com/
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Wow, that was beautiful.

Has anyone else noticed that TCM hasn't done any individual obits in the last couple months and very few tribute days? Have I just missed them? I am wondering if they just decided it was too hard to do these interstitials anymore.... so many of our favorites have passed on around the same time, maybe they think it would load up the programming in a depressing way? Maybe I just haven't been paying enough attention.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

thank you, paula, for the morlock article...i'll add it to my web page, too, as soon as i can. harry's web page made me cry. such a lovely horse.
-- Will Rogers
Maricatrin

Post by Maricatrin »

So saddened by the news ... from what I've been given to understand, he was a good friend and a gentle man ... the world can ill afford to lose people like that, he will be missed.

The first time I remember seeing him was as Bill Burnett in Walt Disney's Spin and Marty. Bill was such a reassuring, nice guy to have around ... and those qualities came through in so many other roles Harry Jr. played.

R.I.P. Bill/Dobe
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaricatrinsMusicVideos
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

There was a memorial service for Dobe in Santa Barbara yesterday. Dobe had retired there years ago.

Peter Bogdanovich penned the following to be read at the service:

http://blogs.indiewire.com/peterbogdano ... y-carey-jr

Harry Carey, Jr.—Dobe to his friends and family—was the son of one of the very first great Western stars, and now he has become the last of the cowboys from the Golden Age. Introduced to pictures by John Ford, who had been championed as a director by father Harry Carey before they did about 25 pictures together, the son soon became an attractive and charming Western star himself in such Ford classics as Three Godfathers, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, Wagon Master, Rio Grande, and The Searchers. He also made a remarkable impression in Howard Hawks’ first Western classic, Red River. And he has written with grace, humor and perception of his days on the Ford pictures in a loving memoir appropriately titled Company of Heroes. He is now the last of that valiant company to “go West,” as Jack Ford used to put it.

I was privileged to know Dobe (nicknamed short for adobe because of his red hair) for nearly half a century, since we met on the set of Ford’s Cheyenne Autumn in Monument Valley in 1963. I was even more privileged to have Dobe in the cast of two pictures I directed, Nickelodeon in 1976, and Mask in 1985; he was terrific in each of these, and a joy to have around, a solid professional, but also a brilliantly deadpan, hilarious raconteur of the days of the giants in pictures. We also shot an amusing interview with Dobe in 2006 for my documentary, Directed by John Ford, and three years later we got together again and recorded a commentary track for the DVD release of Wagon Master; it was a wonderful time, seeing and hearing Dobe reacting to the movie—among his biggest roles too--as he watched it, and often very funny.

Yet that’s always what he was like, funny and human, and gentle too. There just wasn’t a mean bone in his body. We spoke on the phone a few times, but the Wagon Master recording, I’m sorry to say, was the last time I saw Dobe. He was always encouraging, and eternally upbeat, with a boyish innocence to the end. He was one of a kind, and will always be missed as a loyal friend and collaborator.

Adios, Dobe, though I know your spirit will never die.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Lzcutter ... Nice Tribute by Peter B that you posted recently. Thanks for sharing that.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Thank you, Lynn, for posting that tribute. Very lovely.
-- Will Rogers
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Yes. Thank you, Lynn. It was sweet.
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
tinker

Post by tinker »

I was just looking through Amazon books and was stunned to find that even the second hand copies of Company of Heroes (Dobe's book and one of the best ever written about Hollywood) were listed for around $300.

I know I paid nothing like that for my copy a few years ago.

I would like to think the money went to Dobe's wife but I doubt it

dee
[b]But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams[/b]. (William Butler Yeats )
[b]How did I get to Hollywood? By train.[/b] (John Ford)
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Wow, that's crazy. I bought my copy from Harry himself and he autographed it for me.
-- Will Rogers