Man of the West

mrsl

Man of the West

Post by mrsl »

This one has been brought in now and then in reference to various reasons why the western is or is not popular, and other topics. I had seen it many years ago but remembered very little, so I watched it over the weekend to refresh my memory.

NOW I know why I didn't remember it. Cooper didn't strike any sympathy in me for his dilemna. His explanation of his circumstances to Julie London came too late. He had already given her ample reason to begin some feelings for him, but even so, his words did not ring with any emotion to me. I'm surprised Anthony Mann directed Coop in this, although he probably thought he had a good thing going with a big star like Cooper. He should have held out for Randolph Scott. Scott was able to draw emotion from the audience in those little 5 minute dramatic climax scenes more than Coop did. Also, Cooper is such a darn stone face, he barely registers any reaction during his dialogs.

Julie London showed some chops for acting. I know I've seen her in some other movies, but don't recall them at the moment, in fact most of her career was on T.V. And Lee J. Cobb as the crazy gang leader was his usual too loud, too fierce villain. But he does make you dislike him. I may be altogether wrong about this, so if anyone saw something special, please tell me, since it will be on again in the next week or two.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
JackFavell

Re: Man of the West

Post by JackFavell »

Personally, I like Man of the West. I can see how you might think that Coop was too stone faced, but I saw a man completely torn up by the situation he finds himself in, someone who has to hold his cards close to his vest in order to stay alive and keep the others from being hurt. I found his scenes with Julie London very moving. I like what Anthony Mann brings out in Coop, a hardness that makes him seem as if he could really have been an outlaw, but also a lot of wistfulness, wishing this had never happened...that he could go back without fear..and doubts about whether he will be able to stay on the right path.

It starts out light and descends with frightening rapidity into darkness, and I like watching Coop think things out on the fly. I will agree about Lee J. Cobb's loudness, but I don't dislike his performance here.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I didn't mean I disliked Cobb's performance, in fact I meant he makes you dislike his character - not him.

I just couldn't warm up to Cooper in this movie. You saw a lot more than I did. I didn't get any grasp on any deep feelings, or worries about when this mess was over and he was going home. As I said, I'm not a big fan of Cooper, but I do love him in some of his work, like Friendly Persuasion, and way back in The Lady and the Cowboy. I just felt he made some bad choices in some of his movie roles, like Love In The Afternoon being Number 1 mistake, and Ten North Frederick a close second. There was a 14 year difference between him and Ingrid Bergman, but it was not as wide a chasm as that of the 28 years with Audrey Hepburn, or the 32 years with Suzy Parker. My main reasoning is that I don't think that age difference would be accepted at the times those movies were made.

On the other hand, there were 24 and 27 years difference between Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn and Leslie Caron, but Cary always played it light and for fun. Cooper chose serious roles. Wow, I've really high jacked my own thread. By now.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Those films and the age difference don't really bother me.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I love that film and the performances of both Coop and Julie London in this film. It is one of my sentimental favorites of Coop! Coop's acting was superb and done with great instincts and he worked marvelously well with Julie London.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I never thought I'd hear the words 'sentimental favorite' in a review of an Anthony Mann movie!
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Not for me, but "The Glenn Miller Story", maybe.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

JackFavell wrote:I never thought I'd hear the words 'sentimental favorite' in a review of an Anthony Mann movie!
I am speaking from my heart ... and I'm a big fan of Coop and I do like Anthony Mann's works also! :)