The Gambler Returns: Luck of the Draw

mrsl

The Gambler Returns: Luck of the Draw

Post by mrsl »

This 1991 Kenny Rogers, Reba McIntyre movie has been around the Encore Westerns channel several times since I started getting it on my TV system, but I never sat down and actually watched it until the other day. Being made up of two segments of 1-1/2 hour each, qualifies it as a mini-series which shows up on Saturdays on one of the other Encore channels. Don't have any idea why I never paid it any attention before, but it sure was a hoot to see it the other day. Through the course of the three hours, just about every classic western TV hero was woven into the story (with only the exception of Gunsmoke). Including the cooks from Rawhide and Wagon Train (Paul Brenegar and Frank McGrath), and Lady Lee (Palladin's friend), the roster included: Clint Walker (Cheyenne), Hugh O'Brian (Wyatt Earp), Chuck Connors (Rifleman), Jack Kelly (Bart Maverick), Doug McClure (Trampas-the Virginian), James Drury (The Virginian), Gene Barry (Bat Masterson), and finally David Carradine ( Chang - Kung-fu).

The movie was about a final 'legal' poker game, to be held in San Francisco, I guess in the days before gambling was made illegal and all the best of the best were to be there to play. Kenny Rogers, as Brady Hawk, was to be backed by Reba and a host of her female friends, as one of the players. The beginning of the movie was Brady hooking up with Reba and getting to play in a smaller game where each lady had a player of her own, and the last man standing would be the player to go to Frisco. The simple feat of getting to that game was pretty wild and wooly in itself, but the following 3/4 of the movie was a rollicking, action packed trip with the money being stolen from first one group, then another group, and back again finally to Brady. This was a real fun movie, played strictly for entertainment - no morals, nor sermons, nor teachings of any kind. Just a sit back and enjoy film. So even if you're not a western fan, I still recommend this for a few hours of pure fun and enjoyment.

Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************