most under-rated westerns of the 1950s

JackFavell

Re: most under-rated westerns of the 1950s

Post by JackFavell »

I just saw the end of Great Day in the Morning a little while ago and it made me want to see the rest of it.

And I definitely have to watch Terror in a Texas Town, Joseph H. Lewis rocks!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

kingrat, I think a movie can be called underrated if you don't realize there's a Criterion edition. :D
charlestranberg

Post by charlestranberg »

Here are a few I like that I think are underrated:

Day of the Outlaw (1959) Director: Andre de Toth with: Robert Ryan, Burl Ives & Tina Louise
Law and Jake Wade(1958) Director: John Sturges with Robert Taylor, Richard Widmark & Patricia Owens
The Ride Back (1957) Director: William Conrad with Anthony Quinn, William Conrad & Lita Milan
Gun for a Coward(1957) Director: Abner Biberman with Fred MacMurray, Dean Stockwell & Jeffrey Hunter
The Last Wagon(1956) Director: Delmer Daves with Richard Widmark & Felicia Farr
The Last Hunt(1956) Director: Richard Brooks with Robert Taylor, Stewart Granger & Debra Paget
The Indian Fighter(1955) Director: Andre de Toth with Kirk Douglas & Walter Matthau
At Gunpoint(1955) Director: Alfred L. Werker with Fred MacMurray & Dorothy Malone
Silver Lode(1954) Director: Allan Dwan with John Payne, Lizabeth Scott & Dan Duryea
Man from the Alamo(1953) Director: Budd Boetticher with Glenn Ford & Julie Adams
Stranger Wore a Gun(1953) Director: Andre de Toth with Randolph Scott & Claire Trevor
Man in the Saddle(1951) Director: Andre de Toth with Randolph Scott & Joan Leslie
Westward the Women(1951) Director: William A. Wellman with Robert Taylor, Denise Darcel & Hope Emerson
[color=#0040FF][b]Links:[/b][/color]
[color=#0040FF][b][url=http://www.bearmanormedia.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=682]Charles Tranberg's Latest Book: FREDRIC MARCH: A CONSUMMATE ACTOR[/url][/b][/color]

[color=#0040FF][b][url=http://www.amazon.com/Charles-Tranberg/e/B009EECH7C/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_2?qid=1382651629&sr=8-2]Charles Tranberg's Other Books[/url][/b][/color]
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Nice to see Gun For A Coward mentioned. It reminds me of Bonanza, in that it's about 3 different generations of brothers
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

TERROR IN A TEXAS TOWN is well worth a look, Wendy. It's not a great western, but it's different. In a genre as bountiful as this one, that's a welcome trait! It's character oriented, with a driving plot.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

It sounds like I'd love it Red, from that description. I thought maybe I had seen it, the title sounded so familiar. But I think someone must have mentioned it before, because I don't recognize the actors or the plot setup when I look it up.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

It was written by a black-listed Dalton Trumbo. Or so I gather from IMDB. I can't say I actually knew that!
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I have a hard time doing lists of westerns because I end up in my mind with a war going on between Randolph Scott & the Duke. I own the DVD of most of the Dukes movies of the 50's which I have been lucky enough to get at Walmart's $5.00 table, but I have only two of Randy's and only because they are on a four movie DVD with him and Jimmy Stewart. Any way, I do have a list but keep in mind that all of John Wayne and Randolph Scott are always tops on my list.

Two Rode Together - Richard Widmark and James Stewart.
Westward the Women - One of the very best westerns ever made, in my book.
Trooper Hook - Absolute favorite of Joel McCrea (western and non-western).
Stars in My Crown - Second in line after Hook.
The Way West - Robert MItchummmm, Richard Widmark, Sally Field. I'll easily throw Kirk Douglas back in the water. Never did like him.
Ride Lonesome - Randolph Scott, Definite favorite of all, can't even attempt to add up how many times I've seen this both on T.V. and saved on my AT&T DVR.
Westbound - Randolph Scott.
Can't possibly choose a favorite John Wayne, except maybe Chisum might edge out all of the others, but then there's El Dorado, and Searchers, and of course Hondo, Rio Bravo, and, and, and.. . . Oh well, you know what I mean.

Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Stars in My Crown is an excellent choice.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Westward the Women - 1951 is another favorite of mine and I consider it very underrated indeed.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Richard-W, I was happy to see FORT DOBBS on your list. I was taken pleasantly by surprise with this one starring Clint Walker, Virginia Mayo and Brian Keith.

I'll toss VENGEANCE VALLEY (1951) into the hat.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I wish I could remember more titles at random. I'm more likely to respond to something mentioned by somebody else. As a kid, I liked WARLOCK a lot. Dazzled by the big name cast, I suspect. A more recent viewing left me less than satisfied. Not a bad movie. I just couldn't care all that much about the story or the people in it.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

I'll keep mine simple. Pretty much anything with Audie Murphy. No "real" classics maybe (well, RED BADGE OF COURAGE and an argument could be made for NO NAME ON THE BULLET and, as mentioned, THE UNFORGIVEN), but consistently fun, entertaining oaters, IMHB.

I admit it: I'm a HUGE Audie fan.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Well, beat me 50 times with a wet noodle; how could I forget to put No Name on the Bullet on my list. I'm always raving about what a terrific psychological film it is for even non western fans and I forget it in my list of movies. And underrated it certainly was. It was probably the first one of its kind, and I wouldn't be surprised if it probably led to the idea for 3:10 to Yuma.
I mean the sense of not knowing what could happen next.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************