Death Valley Days - Encore Western Channel

mrsl

Death Valley Days - Encore Western Channel

Post by mrsl »

I'm really enjoying these episodes of Death Valley Days, especially the ones with Ronald Regan. I kind of liked him as an actor. He was a little stiff, but his looks carried him through. As a governor I knew very little, living in Illinois at the time, as I did, but I do credit him with being a fairly good president except for his removing the sun energy things from the roof of the White House that Carter had put in place. They would have been quite useful now, I'm sure.

Anyway, as the episodes are mainly 19th century based stories of actual fact, I've seriously researched (in a small way) some of the stories and they are based on fact, making them educational as well as entertaining.

In any case, if you have the channel, you might want to set your DVR to record an episode once or twice a week just for the heck of it.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
RedRiver

Re: Death Valley Days - Encore Western Channel

Post by RedRiver »

I haven't seen this classic TV show since I was six!
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

This has turned out to be a real favorite of mine. The show started with "The Old Ranger" playing emcee, then went to Ronald Reagan, and now we're working with Robert Taylor. I love most of these stories, and the fact that they are true makes them even more interesting.

If you have the channel, by all means, you should check it out.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I haven't seen many but I did see one last night about an Army doctor who outsmarted Cochise and was one of the earliest Medal of Honor winners. (Information interestingly provided by Robert Taylor at the end.)

Two minor things struck me. One was how long the show ran. This episode was from season 15! The other was Michael Pate played a rancher whose son was kidnapped. He said some awful things about the Indians, understandable since they they had his son, but also interesting because Pate had played Indians so often in his career. He's been on both sides of the name calling.

I also did see a few minutes of one with Paul Brinegar from RAWHIDE and it was nice to see him in something else.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I do watch a show or two on a weekly basis - but I don't get in a habit of watching all the time. It's one of my standbys of the westerns that dominated in the 50's to the 70's.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I didn't know the show ran so long. I wonder why I didn't watch it as I got older.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

imdb has 18 seasons listed and says its radio history goes back to the '30s.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."